Is it possible to record out 1 and 2 at the same time on usb ?

Thomas Larsson

Experienced
I doesn´t look possible to record output 1 and 2 at the same time over USB.
Or is it ?

I wanted to record a stereo track from out 1 and a strong (100% level ) reamp signal from output 2. However
I haven´t figured it out yet.

I know that I´m able to record the input signal (together with out 1) but it becomes so weak and I didn´t like the idea of throwing away the last 8 digital-bits (in case anybody wonders why).

But wouldnt you have to attenuate the signal any to get it down the the original signal level in to axefx?

The answer is no. You cannot, not over USB.

Yes , you are right. But that's normal to do level adaption , for me anyway.
I feel it must give the best resolution to the signal.

I guess I can record two monosignals at out 2. If i pan the processed left and the
boosted inputsignal right.

I wish Cliff didn't attenuate the dry signal before recording but i guess it's for the unity guys.

Yes , you are right. But that's normal to do level adaption , for me anyway.
I feel it must give the best resolution to the signal.

I guess I can record two monosignals at out 2. If i pan the processed left and the
boosted inputsignal right.

I wish Cliff didn't attenuate the dry signal before recording but i guess it's for the unity guys.

Plus one. I hate the low level with which the reamp signal is recorded in the daw. Specially if you're rolling off the guitar volume down.

We're loosing a lot of resolution with this.

It shure would be one of my greats wishes for a new firmware update as reamping is one of the reasons I bought the unit in first place.

I know that I´m able to record the input signal (together with out 1) but it becomes so weak and I didn´t like the idea of throwing away the last 8 digital-bits (in case anybody wonders why).

I haven't done any reamping with the Axe, but are you saying that the reamp track peaks at around -50 dBFS? Even if it is, that's a full 16 bits and should be more than enough for those magnetic pickups...it has been enough for CD's and other final mediums for decades, and they obviously require more resolution than these electric guitars of ours.

Last edited:
Well , I think I have to say this.
I don't think I care that they say that 16 bits is good enough. The axe is not made to be just good enough ,I think !
People are posting never ending threds about to much treble. Also about fender models that distort to much and they refuse
to turn down the gain. It's quite obvious that people care about their sound .
I wan't to use as high resolution as possible. Don't forget that the signal will be amplified thousands of times in the "amp".The quality of the source signal is the most important.

I still think it's a good idea to record full shred on usb output 2.

Last edited:
Well , I think I have to say this.
I don't think I care that they say that 16 bits is good enough.

By "good enough" I mean more than you need. I checked where my single coil equipped guitar peaked - between -30 -25 dBFS. That's close to 20 bits. There is NO WAY an extra 4 bits will make any difference. The difference is not "resolution", it is dynamic range...and there's more dynamic range in those bits than in the A/D stage capturing that guitar ;)

I haven't done any reamping with the Axe, but are you saying that the reamp track peaks at around -50 dBFS? Even if it is, that's a full 16 bits and should be more than enough for those magnetic pickups...it has been enough for CD's and other final mediums for decades, and they obviously require more resolution than these electric guitars of ours.

Why do you say that a magnetic picked up signal needs less resolution than mixed music.
Produced music is even reduced to mp3 without to many complaining.
I would say it needs more because of the magnifiyng gain a distorted signal is being subject to.
How many digital bits are left if we zoom in thousands of times and cut the ends off like we do ?

Why do we have an input gain on the axe then? They could hardwire it to minimum gain if 20dB don't matter.

To get maximum dynamic range out of the A/D stage. 20 bits are more than enough to maintain it.

Why do you say that a magnetic picked up signal needs less resolution than mixed music.
I would say it needs more because of the magnifiyng gain a distorted signal is being subject to.

You could be right. I was thinking the SNR of that magnetic pickup/jack cable was less than that of 16 bits/96 dB...but I'm not so shure after all. Still, 20 bit is beyond the A/D so you're fine ;)

Back
Top Bottom