Is it possible to program FC6 switches independently from FM9 layout?

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
I use FM9 and i just got FM6. I always thought you could program FC6 switches independently, but i cannot find a way to do it. All i can see is FM6 displaying parts of FM9 layouts.
Can i program FM6 without it messing my FM9 layouts?

I figured that, it just seems odd that they are shared. Would make much more sense if you could program fc6 independently.
Looks like i will have to sacrifice a layout to use on FC6.

I figured that, it just seems odd that they are shared. Would make much more sense if you could program fc6 independently.
I think that "global" is a better term than "shared". Each FC, the built-in nine switches in the FM9, and the FC6, have separate layouts, they don't join the switches in the FM9 to the ones in the FC6 into a pool of 15 switches, they remain separate.

We have nine layouts including the MLM, which you don't want to touch unless you really know what you're doing as it's the backdoor to getting back into familiar territory if you screw something up.

Because a layout contains twelve switches, the FC6 is split into two views of six switches each, so there's some economy being applied to the layouts. If you only need two views of six switches for how you want to use the FC6 then you'll only need to (re)allocate one layout. If you need three or four then you'll need two layouts, etc.

Remember that you can use FC Per-Preset overrides to temporarily override a switch's assignment based on each preset's needs. Also, you can define one layout, or view, to be Per-Preset Overrides, which dynamically fills the slots on the FC with your assigned overrides, like a smart, flexible, Effects layout as you switch presets, so a single view can have multiple uses.

A while back I helped someone with their FM3+FC12. It's not that hard to put together some combination, you just have to decide how you want to use the FC6 because the FM9 already has a lot of flexibility, and adding the additional six switches tends to put people into option paralysis. I suggest sitting down with a pencil and paper and putting your ideas down; While it's pretty easy to modify the layouts, it's also pretty easy to screw up previous work and there's no undo, so have a decent idea. You might ask how I learned that… I'm not going to say. :)

The "FC-12 & FC-6 Owner's Manual" and "Fractal Audio Footswitch Functions Guide" are necessary reading.

PS - While I have both an FC6 and FC12, I use neither with my FM9. I made a variation of the OFM9G layout that I find to be very intuitive and does exactly what I want. Using that, I don't feel the need to take an extra FC unit so it conserves weight and stage space. I use the FC6 with my FM3 with a similar variation of the OMG9 layout, and even have one that's similar for the FC12 that I use with the FX3. Once you settle on a comfortable set of layouts then it's pretty easy to move them between whichever devices you have.

Last edited:
I think that "global" is a better term than "shared". Each FC, the built-in nine switches in the FM9, and the FC6, have separate layouts, they don't join the switches in the FM9 to the ones in the FC6 into a pool of 15 switches, they remain separate.
“can have” separate layouts. They can also be on the same layout number. but they are still pulling from the same 9 layouts.

it sounds like the OP is using all layouts already, so they’re experiencing the “shared” thing.

I find it best to design custom layouts when using multiple FC devices. Put what you want on each one using different layouts. Maybe make 1-4 for the FM9 and 5-8 for the FC if you really need that many switch options.

You don't have to sacrifice anything. The FC system is extremely versatile and you have control over what is used.

You could think of it more like 'I have access to two layouts at the same time'. Using views allows control over 24 different Tap functions without changing layouts on either device. All you would need to do is assign the View>Inc/Dec to the Hold function of one switch on each device.

Another option, and one that I use in a limited fashion with the FM3, is have the FM3 dedicated to Preset and Scene selection using Layouts 1 and 2. Layouts 3-5 on the FC-6 are used in a 'stompbox' mode that gives me control over effects, control switches, scene toggle, tap tempo and tuner access.

Since you are sharing layouts between the two devices, you would want to use the bottom 6 switch locations in each layout for your FC-6 switch assignments. This way, if you don't need the FC-6 for a particular gig or other reason, simply add Layout Links to a couple of your FM9 switches to get to the layouts you have the FC-6 configured for.

Remember also that you can save/backup FC configurations and load them with Fractal-Bot depending upon the need to use with or without the FC-6.

“can have” separate layouts. They can also be on the same layout number. but they are still pulling from the same 9 layouts.

it sounds like the OP is using all layouts already, so they’re experiencing the “shared” thing.

I find it best to design custom layouts when using multiple FC devices. Put what you want on each one using different layouts. Maybe make 1-4 for the FM9 and 5-8 for the FC if you really need that many switch options.
Exactly!
I use all layouts already on Fm9, some of them more than others. I use differnt layouts for different bands, acoustic gigs, jazz gigs etc.

Thanks for suggestions everyone, they are helpful, but wouldnt it make more sense to just make Fc6 layouts independent? Or if layout would contain at least 15 buttons ?

Exactly!
I use all layouts already on Fm9, some of them more than others. I use differnt layouts for different bands, acoustic gigs, jazz gigs etc.

Thanks for suggestions everyone, they are helpful, but wouldnt it make more sense to just make Fc6 layouts independent? Or if layout would contain at least 15 buttons ?
You’re viewing from your specific setup. Yes it would make sense for what you’re doing. For example, why 15 switches for layouts? What about the guy who uses an FM9 and FC12? It would make more sense to have 21 switches per layout. But then the guy who uses 2 FC12s with his axe, 21 is a weird number… and so on.

To work well with the thousands of other setups out there, and ease of use, and not being too complex, etc, it works the way it does currently.

You’re viewing from your specific setup. Yes it would make sense for what you’re doing. For example, why 15 switches for layouts? What about the guy who uses an FM9 and FC12? It would make more sense to have 21 switches per layout. But then the guy who uses 2 FC12s with his axe, 21 is a weird number… and so on.

To work well with the thousands of other setups out there, and ease of use, and not being too complex, etc, it works the way it does currently.
Thats why i said AT LEAST 15 switches.
It would be better if you could just have as many switches as you need in each layout and not be limited to the specific number. Like an add switch option, but that gets in the wish list territory here.
I just think since there is a product dedicated to expand the functionality of Fractal unit, why limit it to the same layouts that are already in use.

In light of per-preset overrides, you can in effect have a different layout for every single preset. So while there are only 9 template layouts between the attached controllers, you can have a different layout for every preset if you want - so, for example, you could use all 9 layouts for the FM9 and then for the FC6 use dedicated presets with as few or as many FC-6 specific layouts as you want.

Exactly!

How many different presets are you using for all those gigs? I use a lot for rock/pop band covers gigs, but for acoustic or jazz gigs couldn't you just have a few presets where you use per-preset overrides to create, in effect, a custom layout?

For example, I have a handful of presets for 'acoustic instruments' that have a very different layout from my main electric guitar layouts, but rather than use up one of the 9 layouts for them I just have a preset with custom per-preset switches and then use that as a template for when I need a different acoustic preset with a similar layout.

How many different presets are you using for all those gigs? I use a lot for rock/pop band covers gigs, but for acoustic or jazz gigs couldn't you just have a few presets where you use per-preset overrides to create, in effect, a custom layout?

For example, I have a handful of presets for 'acoustic instruments' that have a very different layout from my main electric guitar layouts, but rather than use up one of the 9 layouts for them I just have a preset with custom per-preset switches and then use that as a template for when I need a different acoustic preset with a similar layout.
I need to check per preset switches, but i gues you still need to dedicate one layout to per preset switches?

You can put per preset switches in any layout you want, either as Per Preset Overrides on existing switches or as Per Preset Placeholders for every preset.

There's no restriction to what switch types you can put in any layout. You can customize things however you want, including the 9th Master Layout.

I need to check per preset switches, but i gues you still need to dedicate one layout to per preset switches?

Not really - you can put per preset overrides in any layout. For example, when I select a preset I typically have a layout link to load my general ‘performance’ layout that I’ve configured to have 3 scenes, 1 effect toggle, 2 control switches, and 3 navigation switches (which I use for queue-ing up the next preset). But then for that particular preset I can override any or all of those switches, so it’s loading ‘layout 7’ but the particular switches are whatever I customized for that preset, which could be every single one if I want or could be the generic ‘layout 7’ or any combination. And sometimes one of the per preset overrides in a preset is there just to change to a different layout (like the looper).

That said, I also have 8 additional external switches mounted directly to my board that I typically assign to the same functions (and some have hold functions, like one just to return to performance layout if I get too deep, and one to reveal hold functions …), so unless I want a persistent visual indicator of their status I don’t waste one of the Fractal switches for it - for example:

Tuner
Tap tempo
CS5- Reverb hold
CS6 - Delay hold
CS4 - Toggle between wah/volume (toe switch on Mission XPDL)
CS1 - Gain boost (usually assigned to the amp block’s preamp boost, but not always)
CS2 - Solo boost (boosts the output level)
CS3 (extra switch available if I need it)

FFA0B38C-D42D-4863-AFE1-0ACA03121E75.jpeg

In light of per-preset overrides, you can in effect have a different layout for every single preset. So while there are only 9 template layouts between the attached controllers, you can have a different layout for every preset if you want - so, for example, you could use all 9 layouts for the FM9 and then for the FC6 use dedicated presets with as few or as many FC-6 specific layouts as you want.
Not quite.

Per preset switches have to be assigned to some layout... So, you could use almost all the layouts for the FM9 but you need at least 6 switches of one for the FC-6.

Also, don't forget that layout 9 is for MLM and should probably only be edited by those who know what they're doing ;)

There's nothing really special about layout 9. It's just a bunch of Layout Select switches. The only distinction for that layout is that it can be pulled up using the MLM switch combo. If you never use that combo, you can turn it off in FC Config and you can use layout 9 like any other layout. In a pinch you can always change layouts from the FC Controllers menu > Devices page using the A knob on the front panel if you somehow get stuck where you don't want to be.

If in doubt export the stock Layout 9 to your computer and you can always put it back later in the editor if needed. You won't break anything that can't be fixed by restoring a backup.

There's nothing really special about layout 9. It's just a bunch of Layout Select switches. The only distinction for that layout is that it can be pulled up using the MLM switch combo. If you never use that combo, you can turn it off in FC Config and you can use layout 9 like any other layout. In a pinch you can always change layouts from the FC Controllers menu > Devices page using the A knob on the front panel if you somehow get stuck where you don't want to be.

If in doubt export the stock Layout 9 to your computer and you can always put it back later in the editor if needed. You won't break anything that can't be fixed by restoring a backup.
And you fall into the category of "know what they're doing" ;)

Many users don't know what MLM is, or often even simple footswitch setup.

Back
Top Bottom