Is it possible to program FC6 switches independently from FM9 layout?

Here's how I set up my FM9 and FC6 rig.
I edited two separate layouts and renamed them FM9 (Layout 3) and FC6 (Layout 5).
FM9 layout is Scenes, Tap Tempo/Tuner, Delay 1, Drive 1, the top right switch selects the Preset layout.
FC6 layout is all Effects. Bottom right switch on FC6 layout hold function toggles between Views for another 6 effects.
When I select the Preset layout 7 presets show up along with a Bank up and down. I increased the Preset bank from 5 to 7.
Also, the Hold function on my Preset switch (top right switch) on the FM9 layout takes me back to preset 001.
I used Per Preset overrides to customize each preset. A LOT of them!!!
Thats pretty much it without going into control switches, modifiers etc.

All the information is in the manuals. I read the AXEIII, FM9, FC Controller, and Switch function manuals. Theres also some good videos on YT by AxeFxTutorials, Leon Todd, Rosh, Doug B and G66.

Not quite.

Per preset switches have to be assigned to some layout... So, you could use almost all the layouts for the FM9 but you need at least 6 switches of one for the FC-6.

Also, don't forget that layout 9 is for MLM and should probably only be edited by those who know what they're doing ;)

For sure - but my point is that you can override any of the layouts in any preset so you in effect can have a custom layout for every preset of you want. For example, you can pick any of the 9 layouts and override every single switch, which in effect gives you a 10th configuration of switches, which is specific to that preset but can be copied to other presets and/or further modified for those additional presets. And you can do that for every preset. So yes there are only 9 layouts, but since the preset isn’t limited to the switches in any layout it’s a theoretical/conceptual limitation and not a practical limitation on what configuration of switches you can have for a particular preset.

And I raise this point because it’s evident that some users feel stuck with/limited to 9 configurations of the footswitches because there are only 9 layouts. But if you treat the layouts as a ‘template switch configuration’ that is customizable per preset, it’s not really a limitation (in my experience).

That said, I can absolutely see the utility of having more layouts available, depending on how a player uses the devices.

For sure - but my point is that you can override any of the layouts in any preset so you in effect can have a custom layout for every preset of you want. For example, you can pick any of the 9 layouts and override every single switch, which in effect gives you a 10th configuration of switches, which is specific to that preset but can be copied to other presets and/or further modified for those additional presets. And you can do that for every preset. So yes there are only 9 layouts, but since the preset isn’t limited to the switches in any layout it’s a theoretical/conceptual limitation and not a practical limitation on what configuration of switches you can have for a particular preset.

And I raise this point because it’s evident that some users feel stuck with/limited to 9 configurations of the footswitches because there are only 9 layouts. But if you treat the layouts as a ‘template switch configuration’ that is customizable per preset, it’s not really a limitation (in my experience).

That said, I can absolutely see the utility of having more layouts available, depending on how a player uses the devices.
Yeah, I got you.

It's a bit challenging to write about it in a way that makes it clear.

Any given preset can access 9 total global layouts.

Any preset can override up to 24 switches total on any of those global layouts.

It still doesn't achieve more than 9 layouts - from the perspective of any given preset.

In other words, you don't get 9 global layouts and the addition of the per preset overrides. You get 9 global layouts with the (potential) inclusion of 24 overrides.

I think we're both saying the same thing - I'm just trying to add some clarity for others who might be confused.

It's still incredibly flexible and I don't imagine anyone needing more than 24 unique switch functions for a given preset, although there's always somebody :)

Back
Top Bottom