Is it possible to have a separate footswitch layout for each scene?

Petrocelli

Inspired
I switch the scenes on my FM3 with an external (DIY) MIDI controller and mostly use the three switches of the FM3 as effect bypass switches. So I would like to switch e.g. the chorus in Scene 1 with the third FM3 footswitch, in Scene 2 the Phaser in its place!
So is this possible or something for the wish list? (I'm not a native speaker, so i hope you understand what i mean)

Layouts are global, meaning the layouts affect every preset. We have the ability to override layouts in presets by using per-preset overrides. As far as using per-scene overrides? No, we can't do that.

See the FM3 and foot controller and switch manuals.

I'd recommend working with the built-in OMG3 layout as it's very flexible.

All that said, it might help knowing we can control parameters in blocks using scene controllers, so you can automatically enable or disable a block or adjust it when you switch scenes. Those help if you know you always want a specific sound from a block in that scene, and don't want to use a channel to remember the settings. Scene controllers are kind of like an alternative to channels, but they don't let you change the layout, just the behavior of the block itself. See p. 68 in the manual for more information.

Last edited:
Ok, so let's really think about it. Yes, I think you could.

You have a total of 8 global layouts and you have 8 scenes per preset.

You could use per-preset switches and populate all 8 layouts with overrides for that preset in each layout, with 1 layout for each scene.

Then assign a layout link for each scene switch to take you to the specific layout for that scene.

Hopefully that makes sense? It's a lot of abstraction...

I'm not sure how many total per-preset switches are allowed, though, so that might be a sticking point.

Ok, so let's really think about it. Yes, I think you could.

You have a total of 8 global layouts and you have 8 scenes per preset.

You could use per-preset switches and populate all 8 layouts with overrides for that preset in each layout, with 1 layout for each scene.

Then assign a layout link for each scene switch to take you to the specific layout for that scene.

Hopefully that makes sense? It's a lot of abstraction...

I'm not sure how many total per-preset switches are allowed, though, so that might be a sticking point.
The system currently allows defining 24 per-preset switches....

24 different PP switches that can be assigned to any switch in any layout. That should be more than enough to satisfy anyone. I'd imagine you'd want some duplicates. Surely he wasn't asking for 64! Was he??

24 different PP switches that can be assigned to any switch in any layout. That should be more than enough to satisfy anyone. I'd imagine you'd want some duplicates. Surely he wasn't asking for 64! Was he??
Well, I was talking "theoretically", so probably would work.

Assuming the OP is only using the FM3 and only 3 buttons, then you could do it with 24 (8 scenes * 3 buttons).

When I replied earlier, I didn't quite think about it too much and missed some of the details.

In the requested case, it might be simpler to also incorporate views. You'd still use 24 PP switches, but you'd only need 2 full layouts (1 Layout == 12 switches == 4 views each containing 3 switches).

Also to check your math, if we wanted 8 layouts worth of PPs there would be 96 not 64, since each layout is 12 switches ;)

Well, I was talking "theoretically", so probably would work.

Assuming the OP is only using the FM3 and only 3 buttons, then you could do it with 24 (8 scenes * 3 buttons).

When I replied earlier, I didn't quite think about it too much and missed some of the details.

In the requested case, it might be simpler to also incorporate views. You'd still use 24 PP switches, but you'd only need 2 full layouts (1 Layout == 12 switches == 4 views each containing 3 switches).

Also to check your math, if we wanted 8 layouts worth of PPs there would be 96 not 64, since each layout is 12 switches ;)
Haha, my math was right. I multiplied 8x8. Don't ask what I was thinking coz I don't know! Short answer to OP is yes, you can have any switch be whatever you want up to 24 PP switches across any layout in as many instances.

Back
Top Bottom