• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Is it possible to have 2 different Axe-Edits? 1 to Laptop, 1 to Mac

Hoosierdaddy

Inspired
Michael or ????
I am needing your advice on how to have a 2 nd ---AXE III Edit application that will not access or recognize the other one ?.
The reason ,I have 2 separate AXE III `s and I run one from My Mac ,and the other one from my Laptop. 2 keep different settings and presets to each,, but when i back -up it tries to attach to the one back up . there seems to be a problem with the way i am doing ,maybe a USB communication ? In my backups I able the folder-file with the device i am backing up to along with FW version,date ,.
Do you have any advice how I can set up AXE III edit to- 1 Laptop and the 2nd AXE III edit to Mac ,so they will recognize the unit i am trying to backup to./???

h.c.e.

Veteran
Michael or ????
I am needing your advice on how to have a 2 nd ---AXE III Edit application that will not access or recognize the other one ?.
The reason ,I have 2 separate AXE III `s and I run one from My Mac ,and the other one from my Laptop. 2 keep different settings and presets to each,, but when i back -up it tries to attach to the one back up . there seems to be a problem with the way i am doing ,maybe a USB communication ? In my backups I able the folder-file with the device i am backing up to along with FW version,date ,.
Do you have any advice how I can set up AXE III edit to- 1 Laptop and the 2nd AXE III edit to Mac ,so they will recognize the unit i am trying to backup to./???
I’m a little confused from your description here, let me see if I follow fully...

Laptop -> Axe-FX III #1
Desktop (i.e. “Mac”) -> Axe-FX III #2

When you “backup” (so using Fractal-Bot?) it works okay from one of the computers (you don’t mention which), but doesn’t work on one of the other computers?

I think you might get better help if you can be a bit more specific about your exact setup, It sounds like you have two different computers (no shared user account or home folder between the two or anything, right?) accessing two different Axe-FX IIIs? In which case, I can’t foresee a way where one setup is aware of the other and leading to confusion, so just looking to clarify what exactly you mean by describing that you have a need for the software to “recongnize the unit” you are attempting “to backup to”. The unit should be the unit that either computer is connected to (assume you’ve got a different USB leads from each III, and connected to the two different computers, right?)

Or are you attempting to mix and match, where you use the laptop with both Axe-FX III #1 and #2 and then separately use the other computer with both Axe-FX III #1 and #2 at different times? Or do you have two different computers, but the USB cables from the IIIs connected to some kind of USB Hub or something that’s wired into both computers at the same time?

Hoosierdaddy

Inspired
h.c.e.
.It is weird !!!,most likely user error,
I don't want to loose the earlier settings and presets on the first - III I got .
ok, theres a strong possibility that somehow it was set up wrong somewhere ,in the many back ups i have done <<folder >> and location .It is weird !!!,
such as naming folder wrong,or whatever.
maybe something in the USB configuration seeing 2 different types of hardware.

Yes , I use Fractal Bot,
I also Think ,that I use to use The laptop to back each 3 up when i needed it too,because of the convienant location.. and now the last time I tried to back up on my Mac it <axe 3 edit > might of seen some configurations from another device (laptop) and caused an internal mix-up.
So hear on out, I think I will save a new back up on Mac using Fractal..then delete the AXE FX 3 Edit on Mac,and Re-download FX3 Edit and use solely for my 1st FX 3 .
I know it sounds stupid but I just want separate back up for my Mac Backups for my oldest<1st> FX 3.
I am sure one cannot mix and match,that mite of been where i went wrong, seems to me if wouldn`t give ma the chance to select anything else<grayed out

Just curious how and where do you name your fractal backups,(directories ,name of folder,ect.
thanks in advance

h.c.e.

Veteran
Me personally, I have Fractal-Bot set to send files to:

/Users/<username>/Documents/Fractal Audio/backups

The backups go to the backups folder with their usual YYMMDD-hhmmss style names (i.e. "190311-181746-bank-A.syx"). When the backup has finished I select the backup files and make a zip out of them (in macOS you can hold down the control key and click on the selected files and you'll get a "Compress # Items" option which will make a single zip file out of all of the selected file), I then add into the zip file name some indicator of the firmware the backup was from and it then goes into either an "axe-fx2" or "axe-fx3" sub folder i have under "backups" (in my case I simplified all of this repetitive task by making a an AppleScript that lets me drag and drop the selected files on it and it then pops up a dialog with a field to name the backup -- it starts with the YYMMDD-hhmmss base name of the files, and then I type in an additional descriptor for the firmware version I was running when I made the backup, something like "190311-181746_A403" -- I then click either an "Axe-FX II" or an "Axe-FX III" button, depending on which unit I'm backing up, and it then goes in the corresponding folder, and it places a second backup copy in a dropbox folder as a "just in case" extra bit of insurance).

Screen_Shot_2019-03-12_at_10_34_06_PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 10.46.48 PM.png

Top Bottom