Is it Possible to Create a Preset That is Tuned Down by 1/2 Step?

Hello,

Due to the need to play a particular song (Mr. Brightside), which is tuned down 1/2 step, in lieu of detuning as we go from one song to the next, or bringing another guitar which is already detuned, is it possible to make a copy of a preset patch, for example, Dirty Shirley, and tune that preset down 1/2 step? That would save the day.

Thank you for any thoughts on the possibility of altering a preset by tuning down 1/2 step.

Kind regards,
Tony Ventura

I have tried using the above suggestion for Alice In Chains and Guns n Roses. It is okay, but I prefer bringing dedicated guitar for 1/2 step down tuning. Using the Fractal for down tuning didn't feel or sound good enough for me.

Yes, after trying the Fixed Harmony detune, it does not sound natural. There is a bit of latency. Would rather not bring an extra guitar for just one tune, however, that may be the only option. Thank you, 4406cuda for your thoughts on this.

You need to try it at volume before you give up, if you have the settings correct. it is not dead on but I have used it to drop a whole step from drop D to drop C playing live, and nobody complained or said any thing sounded off. not even the band members. the bass player could not figure out how I retuned so fast.

Search for the ADSR trick that Bakerman does for downtuning. Good for riffing. Not so much for leads. But it can still pull the job nicely.

Yeah there are several topics about it and some workarounds.
If you can't afford to multiply guitars, you have the pedal solution, like the digitech the drop, I've been personnally using a morpheus droptune for years and am satisfied !

Simeon has a "pitch block" and I use it a lot and I am very satisfied..I don't know how to send it to you..but a search will give you what you asked for !

Tried the various pitch shifting tricks to drop down to play Mr Brightside but never sounded right so we just played it in standard tuning.

When I say played it I can't stand playing the song as it hurts my hands with the stretchy arpeggios

I have used the pitch block to drop a 1/2 and whole step live and it worked. My band and the audience couldn't tell. I prefer to bring an extra guitar but if I don't feel like it I just use the preset.

I ´ve tried all the ways of downtuning with the pitch block, and like bishop said, its possible to use it, but if you go to more extreme tunings it gets to indistinct.
We are playing a lot covers of lets say modern alternativ hard-rock, with a lot of different tunings even down to drop-A.
And i don´t want to bring 10 gits to a gig.
Since a while i have one guitar (Ibanez RG) equiped with TronicalTune tuners, and that worked for me. On stage switching between songs its fast and accurate and the sound is great on every tuning.

Hello,

Due to the need to play a particular song (Mr. Brightside), which is tuned down 1/2 step, in lieu of detuning as we go from one song to the next, or bringing another guitar which is already detuned, is it possible to make a copy of a preset patch, for example, Dirty Shirley, and tune that preset down 1/2 step? That would save the day.

Thank you for any thoughts on the possibility of altering a preset by tuning down 1/2 step.

Kind regards,
Tony Ventura
Hi, I have a preset 1/2 step for Guns N' Roses songs, I share tonight!

I‘ve been playing live a half step up using the AF2 for about two years. It doesn’t feel natural. OK. However it sounds allright to the audience and that’s all that matters to me when playing live. I’d never bother to bring another guitar. Why should I?! Ask yourself how many people in the audience can make a difference between a guitar tuned a half step down and a guitar tuned a half step down using one of the best guitar equipment ever invented. If you ask me - they don’t know the Beatles from the Stones and that’s what one of my various bands is playing.

Back
Top Bottom