Is it possible to create a Poly Bass line?

L

luke

I would like to be able to create a poly bass line as seen on the attached YouTube video.

I am relatively certain you can create a somewhat similar sound using a shelving EQ and octave down harmonizer. Perhaps by running a parallel grid line where nothing above 220hz passes through to the harmonizer. And while that will work, it could get muddy by still having several notes being harmonized down simultaneously.

The guitar in the video has what is known as a Polybass system installed, which has a "priority mode":

what's priority----mode?

priority is a musical feature: an intelligent circuit continuously analyzes which strings are plucked, and gives priority to the lowest of them for adding a 'clean' octave. even a chord is played, only one bass voice is generated avoiding interference with polyphonic low voices. the setting of activated strings has no effect on the priority function. in case of desired polyphonic low voices, priority-mode can be switched off.

Obviously we are only sending a single signal into the AXE, not one per string. As such, I suspect my previously described method is the best option possible.

Has anyone ever attempted such a patch before?

Might try using the Multiband Compressor block and increasing the level of the low band. Messed around with it and got something similar to what the video shows.

Maybe with a submarine pickup on the two lowest strings, into input2 and a seperate signalpath. Ordinary guitar signal into input1?

Maybe with a submarine pickup on the two lowest strings, into input2 and a seperate signalpath. Ordinary guitar signal into input1?

I have been trying to do this well for years and have tried many solutions, including MIDI pickups and using a low pass filter from my guitar into a pitch block.

I now have a setup similar to the Godin guitar in the video by using a “Little Thunder” pickup, which has an octave-down output with low note priority mode as well. This does what I’ve aways wanted it to do - plays the lowest not in the chord I’m playing an octave down. I run it to a separate input on the Axe for processing & combining with the regular guitar output.

That submarine is a pretty cool little device, too. You could probably emulate the low not priority mode by putting one of these submarines in “split” mode (separate path for E and A strings and run them to different inputs (e.g. 3 & 4). If A string is input 4, place a gate block after it and set the sidechain (gate trigger) to input 3, so that whenever you’re playing something on the low E string, your submarine feed from the A string gets muted. This will keep it from getting muddy. Then merge the 2 chains after the A-string gate and run them to a pitch block, amp/cab/etc.

Reactions: JTI

I would like to be able to create a poly bass line as seen on the attached YouTube video.

I am relatively certain you can create a somewhat similar sound using a shelving EQ and octave down harmonizer. Perhaps by running a parallel grid line where nothing above 220hz passes through to the harmonizer. And while that will work, it could get muddy by still having several notes being harmonized down simultaneously.

The guitar in the video has what is known as a Polybass system installed, which has a "priority mode":

Obviously we are only sending a single signal into the AXE, not one per string. As such, I suspect my previously described method is the best option possible.

Has anyone ever attempted such a patch before?

What you see in the video is a Godin guitar with a synth access (SA) port. That SA port is the point of these guitars. Connected to - for example - a VG-99 you are capable of driving any synth(s)m or respectively, any midi device.

I play the guitar in the video as well as several other of these Godin guitars (often as the only instrument) in a somehow barber-shop-voiced band.
With the synth access I play (according to the guitar sound or to a silenced guitar sound) synth sounds, which may be anything, perhaps pads, an organ, or - like in this example - a bass, all of them straight or harmonized, depending on the needs of the song.

If you are interested in you are welcome to give me a reply for further hints.

A full approach to this effect with FA devices is IMO not possible, depending on the very different basis. A slight approach may be possible by using a harmonizer and pitch shift.

Last edited:
What you see in the video is a Godin guitar with a synth access (SA) port. That SA port is the point of these guitars. Connected to - for example - a VG-99 you are capable of driving any synth(s)m or respectively, any midi device.

I play the guitar in the video as well as several other of these Godin guitars (often as the only instrument) in a somehow barber-shop-voiced band.
With the synth access I play (according to the guitar sound or to a silenced guitar sound) synth sounds, which may be anything, perhaps pads, an organ, or - like in this example - a bass, all of them straight or harmonized, depending on the needs of the song.

If you are interested in you are welcome to give me a reply for further hints.

A full approach to this effect with FA devices is IMO not possible, depending on the very different basis. A slight approach may be possible by using a harmonizer and pitch shift.

I am very familiar, this is me in 1993:

https://soundclick.com/r/s4zjuo

I gave your idea a very quick (I'm in a hurry) and dirty try and attached the preset.
Perhaps it might give you a point to start from ... If so, please let me know, I'm curious.
Enjoy your day.

Attachments

• Deluxe Verb + Bass.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
I gave your idea a very quick (I'm in a hurry) and dirty try and attached the preset.
Perhaps it might give you a point to start from ... If so, please let me know, I'm curious.
Enjoy your day.

It worked great after some tweaking to taste.
Thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom