Is it possible to combine 2 amp signals into mono and keep the sound?

RamboMadCow

Inspired
Is anyone familiar with any techniques on combining 2 sound sources that were designed in a way where each signal goes to a separate ear, and then combining them into a mono signal but keeping the exact same tone?

I found a Hetfield tone that is absolutely amazing and kudos goes to the guy who made it. But my problem is that he's sending one amp to each ear and for my band needs, I need to combine the two signals into a single sound that outputs the exact same to output L and R. I've spent a couple hours attempting to do this but every solution I've tried has changed the sound to a fairly substantial degree.

For reference, the original author is: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7689

I've uploaded a slightly modified version as I didn't need the extra output the author made.

Is there a specific block I could use to achieve what I'm looking for or some other technique?

Attachments

• Papa Het heavy live tone - Modified.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 7
You should be able to blend 2 amps using the mixer block. You can set the pan to be all left or even if you pan evenly you should be fine.

It could be that you're getting frequency/phase cancellation when you blend them to mono, which isn't apparent when the amps are panned L/R. Similar thing can happen when you're mixing a song in stereo and then collapse to mono.

Seems like what @jefferski said might be happening. I actually did try the mixer block to blend them together and came to the same result where it didn't sound the same. I also tried fiddling quite a bit with the amp settings for each amp and still didn't achieve it.

If the problem is a frequency/phase cancellation issue, what's the best way to deal with this?

Seems like what @jefferski said might be happening. I actually did try the mixer block to blend them together and came to the same result where it didn't sound the same. I also tried fiddling quite a bit with the amp settings for each amp and still didn't achieve it.

If the problem is a frequency/phase cancellation issue, what's the best way to deal with this?
In mixing, when instruments "disappear" in the mono mix, you try to carve out different frequency bands so instruments aren't stepping on each other (generally you do this anyway). Maybe try something similar here? Like boost one amp at 500 and cut at 1200, and do the reverse for the other amp (note: those numbers are just an example, I don't know what would actually work for your preset). In a DAW you can also invert the phase of a channel, which I don't think we can do here.

Another key aspect with Phase cancellation is timing. If a left and right channel are exactly 180 degrees out of phase, they'll perfectly cancel. You can get this with mics on cabinets (and summarily mixing speaker IRs) as well. That's why the align control is there, so you can delay the signal from certain IRs to increase or change the frequencies that are being constructive or destructive.

I think the fractal amps are all phase corrected to some out in the same phase with each other, but the cab blocks can change this.

So you may need to play around with this on the two amp blocks. Are they using the same cab blocks or different? If they each have a cab block you might need to play with the alignment between the two of them.

Is anyone familiar with any techniques on combining 2 sound sources that were designed in a way where each signal goes to a separate ear, and then combining them into a mono signal but keeping the exact same tone?

I found a Hetfield tone that is absolutely amazing and kudos goes to the guy who made it. But my problem is that he's sending one amp to each ear and for my band needs, I need to combine the two signals into a single sound that outputs the exact same to output L and R. I've spent a couple hours attempting to do this but every solution I've tried has changed the sound to a fairly substantial degree.

For reference, the original author is: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7689

I've uploaded a slightly modified version as I didn't need the extra output the author made.

Is there a specific block I could use to achieve what I'm looking for or some other technique?
Are you outputting a stereo signal for the band? You mention you need Left and Right to be the same, are both left and right output jacks used currently? Are they the exact same signal? Are you going to a mixer or straight to speakers or something?

I'll have to give the suggestions by @jefferski and @IronSean a try. @IronSean the scene has 2 amps going into a separate cab block each, so I'll try the alignment you suggested.

@chris I'm doing both using the R and L of output 1 for 2 different purposes. The L channel goes to the band's mixer for our IEM system and the R channel goes into a Matrix GT1600 which is fed to 2 Matrix 2x12 FRFR cabinets. We don't use stereo mixes in our sound since there's 2 guitars. All of the venues we've played at have correctly put each guitar on one side of the PA system and then mixes them together seamlessly for the audience.

I'll have to give the suggestions by @jefferski and @IronSean a try. @IronSean the scene has 2 amps going into a separate cab block each, so I'll try the alignment you suggested.

@chris I'm doing both using the R and L of output 1 for 2 different purposes. The L channel goes to the band's mixer for our IEM system and the R channel goes into a Matrix GT1600 which is fed to 2 Matrix 2x12 FRFR cabinets. We don't use stereo mixes in our sound since there's 2 guitars. All of the venues we've played at have correctly put each guitar on one side of the PA system and then mixes them together seamlessly for the audience.
Set the Output mode to Sum L+R and both left and right will have the same summed signal.

If you’ve never actually heard the tone you are looking for from this patch in mono, how can you be sure that the stereo sound isn’t part of what you like about the tone?

Back
Top Bottom