Is It OK To Tickle?

Fro

Experienced
This is a question in regards to setting the input level. I just thought I should confirm this since the terminology is slightly different in the Axe Fx III manual from what I remember in the past. It could just be my failing brain. I remember the phrase “tickling the red” being used in the past when setting the levels. Is that still the case? Is it Ok if I get the occasional flicker of the red LED from time to time, or should I lower the input trim so that the red LED doesn’t light at all?

The manual says:

“Connect a guitar to the Instrument input. Choose your loudest pickup setting and
set all the guitar controls to “wide open.” Play loudly to push the levels as you watch
the front panel INPUT 1 meter LEDs. A red LED indicates that clipping is occurring
or imminent. If you see the input meters clipping, pad the input as follows:

Page to the Input page of the I/O menu under SETUP.

Reduce Input 1/Instrument input levels using the A knob.

In general, you should set input levels as high as possible without clipping.”

So I wasn’t 100% sure, and I didn’t want to assume, hence the question.

Thanks!

Yes. If you REALLY want to get anal go to Home-Meters and use that meter.

Is the amount of headroom on the analog side of the 3's input the same as the 2? Apparently my main 7 string guitar with Dimarzio humbuckers is louder than I thought, and I have the input set at 4.9. Meaning, on the 2. I would hate to buy a 3 only to find out it has less headroom...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom