Is it me or is the Axe fx 3 aesthetically unpleasing?

Well that settles that i guess.. And to the people who say i'm a troll and egotistical for having an opinion, grow up a little. I joined the forum because i got excited for the AX3 and have owned every single unit and used them on countless records ((big and small) ... but to call me a troll just because im new to the forum?? Wow what a welcome that is!

Ugly? No. Would I have designed it that way? No. But I wasn’t asked. ;)

I’m a professional usability designer. I see things I would do differently, for sure. Even aesthetically differently. I, too, would rather have stayed with the 2U format, but it’s probably not a showstopper for me. I would have had a smaller screen with higher resolution and a better menu design for editing, even maybe taking advantage of wireless (if it didn’t cause interference!) to have the menus on phones or tablets nearby. I would have done some usability testing with prototypes to see what worked and what didn’t, and adapt it before committing to hardware. Maybe FAS did all that, and what you’re seeing is the result.

But we are all great at Monday morning quarterbacking, ain’t we?

It looks a damn sight better than that toaster/fax machine thing that the one of their rivals makes.
Either way, provided it does everything the Axe-Fx II does, and more....then I don’t care that much. Function over form wins.

Looks like a solidly built 3 rack unit with a very nice UI. Seems like it needed the extra space for all the ins and outs as much as the vastly improved color display. If they tried to cram all the jacks into a 2 space, things would be uncomfortably tight back there.

I'm quite sure the larger screen will prove rather useful too, of course I have 2 empty 3 space SKB racks just waiting for the right piece of gear so...

Some of you really are upset by the looks of the III?!? I think Marshall had some pretty rack units back in the day, didn't stop me from selling my old JMP-1, as the tone wasn't that special (to me) and the one in the AFX II pretty much nailed whatever I was doing with it.

When it comes to guitar (or bass), I like them to be aesthetically pleasing, rack gear is about function and tone. I have no doubt the IIIs tones will be stellar and I think the UI will make for quicker workflow in practice, so it's a winner in my book.

Well that settles that i guess.. And to the people who say i'm a troll and egotistical for having an opinion, grow up a little. I joined the forum because i got excited for the AX3 and have owned every single unit and used them on countless records ((big and small) ... but to call me a troll just because im new to the forum?? Wow what a welcome that is!
You literally stepped on to the manufacturer's forum and called their new baby ugly. What were you expecting to happen?

Studio Aesthetics, anyone?
Plays well with others: Contemporary or Vintage. Digital and Analog.

Rack_it2.jpg

(There would be rack spacers in between units in a real install, of course; for a less crowded visual).

Last edited:
It seems the biggest issue is the blue Axe III logo. I say do like I do with annoying check engine lights. Just institute a quick 3M repair... and viola! Problem solved:D

people who say i'm a troll and egotistical for having an opinion, grow up a little. I joined the forum because i got excited for the AX3
When I’m excited for something, I don’t go to the designer’s house and call his creation that he worked on tirelessly for endless hours what you originally called it.

Maybe it was that.

Back
Top Bottom