Is it me or is the Axe fx 3 aesthetically unpleasing?

"Is it me or is the Axe fx 3 butt ugly?"
Well, to the 2nd question, first. I'm not crazy about the 3's look, but don't really care, given what I imagine it will do.
As to your 1st question. I dunno. Why don't you post a picture of yourself, and we can judge based on that.

Last edited:
I think the new look is a big step forward. And I know it's a big step forward in usability. All those colors are carefully chosen to help you read and understand the screen at a glance.

In my testing rig, I look at the Mk I, the XL+ and the III every day. My eye is instantly drawn to the Axe-Fx III. Every time.

My Stack-o'-Frac:

20180205_211136[1].jpg

I like the overall dimensions of the III better, but I think the XL+ is a much more elegant looking design. The 3 is unbalanced visually with that pointless glowing logo on the right side. And the XL+'s unified front looks better than the the III's cutout. The XL+ looks like it was designed, then built whereas the III's looks like someone said "here are the parts you have to work with" and this is the best they could come up with.

None of that is going to influence my decision to purchase one in the slightest though.
-
Austin

Last edited:
I think the new look is a big step forward. And I know it's a big step forward in usability. All those colors are carefully chosen to help you read and understand the screen at a glance.

In my testing rig, I look at the Mk I, the XL+ and the III every day. My eye is instantly drawn to the Axe-Fx III. Every time.

My Stack-o'-Frac:

View attachment 44428
That's a thing of beauty!

Reactions: Rex
I think I'm used to effects processors being 1u or 2u, but not 3u. 3u or more, historically, has usually been the domain of preamps and poweramps. At least that's my take, so yeah... it's big.

The thing I worry about is the front plastic surrounding the screen and the buttons, etc. It just wonder if it will stick to the face plate over the years, or if it will warp over time. Why did they pick plastic there instead of the typical rack metal?

Personally I think it looks great and would be easy to edit stuff live on the fly and you can see what's going on the screen. I doubt the serious professionals will complain about the size. Can't please everyone.

I think I'm used to effects processors being 1u or 2u, but not 3u. 3u or more, historically, has usually been the domain of preamps and poweramps. At least that's my take, so yeah... it's big.

The thing I worry about is the front plastic surrounding the screen and the buttons, etc. It just wonder if it will stick to the face plate over the years, or if it will warp over time. Why did they pick plastic there instead of the typical rack metal?
I'm pretty sure I read that it's polycarbonate, not "plastic"... And yes, I know that polycarbonate IS a type of plastic, but that generic term has a low quality connotation.

It's not plastic. It's steel.

It looks fine. I would prefer it to be a 2U instead of 3, but I am fine with it. I will eventually upgrade to it :)

I think it looks sleek and sexy...great looking product

I'm also happy to see it 3U- huge screen is great

The short depth is helpful too I'd rather it be taller than deeper

I think he's referring to the inner panel...
So am I. :)

There is a polycarbonate overlay so there can be printing on it...but the overlay is on top of a steel panel. The bezel is made of anodized aluminum.

Not a fan of the new looks at all, the logo especially.

Don’t care about it either, this isn’t a significant factor at all for a rackmount unit. It also seems to look better from a distance, so there’s that - when it’s on the stage, the additional lights will work in its favor. :)

The new size is a bit annoying, as that leads to some practical inconveniences, but oh well, I’ll deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom