Is it just me or is the Axexchange all but forgotten?

guittarzzan

Inspired
I hadn't checked out the uploaded user presets on the Axexchange in a while until a few days ago. I was surprised how few new ones had been added since I added a bunch a while back. Am I missing something or are people getting away from uploading and sharing their presets on the Axechange?

cheers,
Steve

Is there anyone else besides me who really would like to see a standard Web interface restored to the "new" Axechange, in addition to the channel built into AXE-EDIT?

I uploaded my three bass patches to it today. The first two uploaded fine, the third uploaded with no title. I went to delete it so I could re-up it and found out you can't delete them once they're uploaded. That's something that should be addressed. For right now it seems the best way to share patches is here in the forums.

It'd also be nice to have some notation as to what firmware revision was used to make the patch, as things have changed both sound and feature-wise with the different firmware revisions.

xrist04 said:
Is there anyone else besides me who really would like to see a standard Web interface restored to the "new" Axechange, in addition to the channel built into AXE-EDIT?
Yes...me!!

xrist04 said:
+1 i really miss a web based patch exchange site.

The interface to it is so awkward and buggy I rarely call it up. I too would like to see a web interface return. With good metadata on patches that can be searched. Maybe a preview of the grid with the blocks and routing. And a custom MIME type for the files so they open in the Axe-Editor automatically on download. That'd be sweet.

I know the Axechange could use a bit of a facelift, but I guess my observation is that it seems that more people now are sharing patches by just posting the sysex file etc instead of putting it up on the Axechange. It would be a lot more convenient for everyone if people would put their patches up there and we can just audition them etc from Axe edit without having to individually dl each one. The Axechange is a time saver for everyone if we would just start using it again.

I agree with iaresee, a new web interface, where the patches could be organized somehow (styles, guitarists, whatever), would be great. It's impossible for me to find anything useful with Axechange now.

i think the whole bank thing is counter intuitive, and i just get frustrated and stop...

just needs to have categories, with genera, pickups, frfr, amp/cab, etc.

hoss said:
dpeterson said:
i think the whole bank thing is counter intuitive, and i just get frustrated and stop...

just needs to have categories, with genera, pickups, frfr, amp/cab, etc.
Right.

A guy from the Digidesign forum did something like that for the Eleven Rack, it's a good thing:
http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/
That's interesting. Appears to be just a Joomla or Drupal based site.

I'd had visions of building something custom with Django but time is absolutely not on my side these days (just joined a startup so I'm b-to-the-w 7 days a week right now).

If there's a collective interest in developing something I can certainly get the project started. Where I could really use help is on the user interface side. I build pretty crude UIs. The underlying Django models are pretty straight forward. A class for the patch. A class for tags. A class for users and you're done.

guittarzzan said:
I know the Axechange could use a bit of a facelift, but I guess my observation is that it seems that more people now are sharing patches by just posting the sysex file etc instead of putting it up on the Axechange. It would be a lot more convenient for everyone if people would put their patches up there and we can just audition them etc from Axe edit without having to individually dl each one. The Axechange is a time saver for everyone if we would just start using it again.
I actually disagree. The design of the system now is such that it would be incredibly less useful if more people were posting to it. It's only semi-navigable now because there isn't a lot of new information entering the system. If every time I logged in there were 1000 new patches the whole bank organization, with no search, would be completely useless instead of mostly useless. :)

I'd much rather find stuff in the Patches section on the forum. People can add all kinds of useful metadata I can search on.

Ditto.

No way of searching kills the Axe-Change for now. I'm not weeding through xx banks (don't know how many there are now), scrolling a 128 preset list for every bank, in a minimal-width window that won't reveal all the info anyway, any time I'm searching for something specific. For just general browsing that could work, but I don't do that much.

Plus a couple of months ago I couldn't get anything uploaded. I doubt that has changed.

I agree with iaresee, again. If more people posted their patches on Axechange, it would be absolutely impossible to find anything useful there. It is almost impossible now.

guittarzzan said:
It would be a lot more convenient for everyone if people would put their patches up there and we can just audition them etc from Axe edit without having to individually dl each one.

If you are auditioning it, you have already downloaded it. Just populating the list involves downloading every single one of them. syx file are tiny and take almost no time to transfer. But its still a silly interface. Can't figure out what they were thinking.

Yeah, I have to say, as far as usable UI goes, this is pretty much the pits. Something like being able to download and audition patches via a midi interface SHOULD be intuitive. I read the "instructions" for accessing this feature of the editor and actually feel myself understanding less than I did before reading it. :( Overall, not good. I'm hoping this is one of those things which undergoes a major overhaul before the next major release.

Regards,
Jeff

Tom King is on record saying now that the main editor UI is working well they're turning their attention to the bank organizer and the exchange interface.

I started an open source project last night to build a web UI for patch exchange. Fractal: it'll be GPL licensed. You can use the code if you like. Give me a week or two to get it functional. It'll be hosted on github.

iaresee said:
Tom King is on record saying now that the main editor UI is working well they're turning their attention to the bank organizer and the exchange interface.

I started an open source project last night to build a web UI for patch exchange. Fractal: it'll be GPL licensed. You can use the code if you like. Give me a week or two to get it functional. It'll be hosted on github.
Great, I just wanted to ask if I should build one or if somebody is at it already :cool:

Back
Top Bottom