Is it just me, or does adding a phaser effect to a lead distortion tone make your playing better?

Megadebt

Experienced
It just seems like playing lead guitar with a phaser type effect makes the notes and playing "flow" better, easier to play. Why is this? Is it ok to just leave the phaser on? Playing lead seems nicer with it ON! Sounds better too I think.

I don't know what the hell I'm trying to say…lol

Once, many years ago, a music store sales rep once said, "Any distortion or modulation effect will mask a guitarist's true ability, in effect, make him sound better. To hear a guitarist's true ability, listen to him play clean."

The music rep then proceeded to plug me into a distorted amp. Being young and inexperienced, I said, "Thank you."

It's the 80s Dave Murray effect :)

You think that makes your playing better, attach a modifier to the wah for some auto wah.

It's like when a singer adds a chorus effect, delay, etc. to their voice - it just masks (or, quite literally, distracts the listener from) the subtle or not-so-subtle imperfections in performance.

Or, you know, maybe none of that and it just inspires you - just go with it :)

I feel that a great tone and / or effect may inspire one to sound / play ‘better’, or more creative. Heck... I’ve written several songs that probably stemmed from this. Most of my tones only have a touch of reverb... barely audible when playing in a band, or even at home. For me, less is more, and I only use effects when needed.
But... a phaser can be cool, and numbers of players like Van Halen and Robin Trower used it regularly.

It just seems like playing lead guitar with a phaser type effect makes the notes and playing "flow" better, easier to play. Why is this? Is it ok to just leave the phaser on? Playing lead seems nicer with it ON! Sounds better too I think.

I don't know what the hell I'm trying to say…lol

It worked for Eddie. Sounds great but not for 100% of the time imho.

I wouldn't leave anything on all the time, especially in a live setting. Seems to me you have to exaggerate the differences in your tones in a live environment, but if you like it when just playing for yourself, go for it. Nothing wrong with having that EVH vibe! (Just remember to tune to Eb, haha.)

Back
Top Bottom