Is it common for a new owner to become obsessed with their FX2?

I can hardly think of anything else since I got it. I'm sure my girlfriend is gonna start questioning our relationship soon. There's so much to explore and figure out, and the whole process is really fun. I do have to get this thing ready for two different gigs in the next week, so I'm kind of under the gun to get it all figured out, but at the rate I'm going it shouldn't bee to much of a problem.

You WILL be assimilated.. ACCEPT your fate ~!
and stock up on food for the weekends :)

Gigs next week? yikes

Serious advice:

With limited time like that and being a new owner I'd advise for now just concentrate sticking pretty close to recreating your previous rig in the AF2 - as in pick maybe 2 amp types at the most and stick with a single cab if you're going FRFR or DI'ing out to FOH.

Make or fine tune the presets using the same monitoring equipment and volume levels you need to be at on stage and make sure your solo/boosted levels are loud enough.

In other words start as simple as you can .... the rest will fall into place in time.

For my first AF2 gig (which came up pretty quick after I'd first got it too) I actually made individual presets of clean, crunch and solo and then further presets based on them with various FX applied - hardly the most efficient way but it was what I was used to in my previous rig which uses a 8 button per bank Midi footcontroller with a preset per switch. Reproducing that got me through the gig without stressing too much (and sounded pretty good too - except the clean was a bit too quiet - but really only had 3 presets set up for cleans so a minute tweaking the clean presets' output volumes via the front panel during the break fixed that.

All the X/Y and Scenes functionality came a bit later when I was more confident with the concepts and MFC

Gigs next week? yikes

Serious advice:

With limited time like that and being a new owner I'd advise for now just concentrate sticking pretty close to recreating your previous rig in the AF2 - as in pick maybe 2 amp types at the most and stick with a single cab if you're going FRFR or DI'ing out to FOH.

Make or fine tune the presets using the same monitoring equipment and volume levels you need to be at on stage and make sure your solo/boosted levels are loud enough.

In other words start as simple as you can .... the rest will fall into place in time.

For my first AF2 gig (which came up pretty quick after I'd first got it too) I actually made individual presets of clean, crunch and solo and then further presets based on them with various FX applied - hardly the most efficient way but it was what I was used to in my previous rig which uses a 8 button per bank Midi footcontroller with a preset per switch. Reproducing that got me through the gig without stressing too much (and sounded pretty good too - except the clean was a bit too quiet - but really only had 3 presets set up for cleans so a minute tweaking the clean presets' output volumes via the front panel during the break fixed that.

All the X/Y and Scenes functionality came a bit later when I was more confident with the concepts and MFC

Thanks for the tips - one of the bands does Beatles/Stones so it's fairly straightforward... vintage tweeds and light OD. I picked up Glenn DeLaune's "pedal platform patches". Since I'm used to the mindset of how pedal platforms work. He has a great utilization of scenes in them... and they carry over the same way from patch to patch. I liked the format so much that I started working on my own series of vintage amps in the same format. I wish other peoples patches utilized scenes more.

For my other band, we do a lot of 80s pop so I've been looking for good patches that fit the bill. So far it seems pretty fruitful.

I have had my 2XL+ for like 8 years or something like that and I am still obsessed. I am always stumbling onto a new idea or amp I have not gotten into much yet. Yeks contributions to the community have helped me feed my obsession. I will be reading one of his amp write ups on my break and I will be thinking about it till I get home to try out his settings for that amp. There is so much to learn about all these amps in real life from this little box and the knowledge in this community. Much to learn about recording, mixing, gigging, and audio engendering. This box is perfect for a pro or a hobbyist. I would even recommend it for someone starting out. To have the tones to inspire you to play is important I have always thought.

Back
Top Bottom