Is it because I use a real cab

andyp13

Power User
im loving the axe fx, I have been using firmwar 6 and have upgraded to v7.1 - I can't hear any difference in sound whatsoever? Is this because I use a real guitar cab instead of an FRFR.
I do have an FRFR (matrix 1x12) but never used it for over a year (it just didn't work for me).

I think a lot of the subtleties get lost when using a real cabinet. Most likely because a lot of the improvements are in the power amp modeling.

I play a real cab, and recent items like motor drive isn't going to apply, but diffusion of MTD, and Optical Comps 1 & 2 are very real.

Also, I find some amps change over time and I gravitate toward different amps depending on me, which guitar, which F/W (maybe; I'm always current so I never go backwards.)

I will say that I'm now more than ever closer to going FRFR with all the comments about improvement in that area to take advantage of something other than just jamming through V30s in 2 2x12s. I think that makes huge tonal limit which IRs and Cab emulation can improve.

I'd be curious in your opinion if you plugged your MAtrix back in with the new MotorDrive function in the AMP block.

I use a real cab as well - I have definitely noticed a difference with new firmwares - The main thing to me is that its easier than ever to get a good tone. I used to have to spend more time adjusting and tweaking and eq'ing certain freq out. But to me, now when I select an amp, I dial out the mids and lower the bass a little and that usually does the trick - that's 5 minutes of adjustments to have a great tone. I have only used the cab block when I record direct to daw - so honestly, I don't have any experience with a frfr wedge or anything. All I know is that when I compare my real cab with a real amp and same cab, that the axe sounds at least as good - but most of the time its better. Maybe some day I mess with a frfr - I'm quite happy now though !

I'm getting a great sound - probably the best I ever had, but just not noticed any difference at all. I will try my FRFR and let you know Fractals, I won't take the chance on using it live though

By the way, does anyone use a single matrix Q12 in a 'backline' situation? Or is it too small?

Back
Top Bottom