Is it a bad idea to take axe fx with me on a plane?

Frqd92

I'm going to be working abroad for a couple months, I have a guitar where I'm going but I need to buy monitors... I could just use interface and plugins, which i know they're good nowadays but I still hate using them.. Is it risky taking the axe 3 on a long travel with 2 planes? I'd be taking it with me, no way am I putting it in a checked bag and risk them losing it or being late.. But I don't have any sort of bag that's a good fit for it.. Looked on amazon but couldn't really find one with the right dimensions..

It's not that important to take it with me because guitar is just a hobby and not my job but if it's safe then i'd like to take it...

Thanks

Good news is it's within carry-on size dimensions. Bad news, it won't leave much other room in your carry on. You'd want to find a rack or bag that's going maintain the space on the front panels with all the knobs and controls, so they don't get smashed if you bump the bag wrong. Otherwise it should be about as safe as when you carry it with you to a jam or gig.

The III will fit inside most companies' standard TSA approved carry-on roller. It fits snug in my Tumi Alpha 3 with room for a few old shirts around it for safety.

You could also get a foam-filled Pelican 1610 or 1620 and throw it under the plane if you really want to go all out. Basically bomb-proof at that point.

I've built enough racks for clients that tour the world and the AxeFX3 holds up every time. I've seen some racks completely mangled and destroyed, rack rails ripped off, units bouncing around etc. Other than cosmetic damage, I'll actually boot up the axeFX when I get the rack back for repair and it still turns on and functions as normal.

It's an incredible piece of gear. I wouldn't worry too much about it. As Cooper said, get a pelican or pack it carefully and you should be good to go.

The III will fit inside most companies' standard TSA approved carry-on roller. It fits snug in my Tumi Alpha 3 with room for a few old shirts around it for safety.

You could also get a foam-filled Pelican 1610 or 1620 and throw it under the plane if you really want to go all out. Basically bomb-proof at that point.

This. I often travel with mine in my carry on with just clothes around it. Nothing have happened to it so far, asumming you are careful and don't go throwing your things around.

I definitely wouldn't check it if it's not in a bomb proof case

Thanks guys, gonna see if I can find a proper bag for it... It's hard to go back to plugins when you've been using the axe for a while

Have you considered your destination’s electrical supply versus your unit’s desire?

Back
Top Bottom