Is it a bad idea to run USB and MFC at the same time?

BrickGlass

Inspired
So I had the biggest problem I've had in the three years I've owned my Axe-Fx mark II last night. I was using Axe Edit (had just installed the latest Edit update) and out of nowhere it just started pausing communications on me. When I would resume communications, it would change down 1 preset. Literally happened dozens of times and I could not figure out why. Restarted the Axe and it still was happening. So I thought it was a problem with the new Edit release. I turned off the computer (Mac with the latest OS) and it still was changing presets with just the MFC (plugged in via cat5) and Axe running...so Edit was clearly not the issue. I did leave the USB plugged in, but had the computer off so I don't know if that somehow factors in. It seemed to be changing presets about every two or three minutes right on the button. It was a consistent thing...always down 1 preset. So I left it for the night and fired up the Axe and MFC today. Today it was changing to random presets and not always just down 1. Someone on the Edit forum suggested unplugging the MFC so I did, and I also unplugged the USB cable. Problem is gone with only the Axe on. So I plugged in the MFC too and I left the USB unplugged. Problem still gone. So my question is, can the USB create problems with the MFC, even if your computer isn't on? I remember seeing in some thread that the MFC can cause issues with Axe Edit or something along those lines. I've literally been running both of them together for almost three years and never had a problem. I'm on the latest MFC firmware and Quantum 4.0 on the Axe. Any thoughts?

Cable(s).

Not sure exactly what you mean. I run two XLR's into my interface from output 1, and I run two 1/4 inch cables into some CLR's from output 2. I also have some TRS cables going from the MFC to some expression pedals. Other than that it is just the USB cable and the cat5 for the MFC. Anything specific in regards to cables?

I'm using the Axe-FX with Axe-Edit and the MFC on at the same time, hours a day, and never met the problem you describe. Since Axe-Edit pauses communication as soon as it receives a signal from the MFC, I'd first look for problems on the USB side: are you sure your cable is good, is there a USB hub between the Axe and the computer, have you tried another USB port?

I'm using the Axe-FX with Axe-Edit and the MFC on at the same time, hours a day, and never met the problem you describe. Since Axe-Edit pauses communication as soon as it receives a signal from the MFC, I'd first look for problems on the USB side: are you sure your cable is good, is there a USB hub between the Axe and the computer, have you tried another USB port?

I've been doing that same thing too, hours a week/day, Axe, MFC, and Axe Edit all running and I've never had a problem until yesterday. I'll try another USB cable and port. I don't have a hub. I also reinstalled the USB driver just perchance.

Back
Top Bottom