Is it “wrong” to use the same impedance curve for every cabinet?

Jeggz

Inspired
I do the SS PowerAmp/Traditional cab deal, and I use “Large Recto”, doesn’t matter if I’m using my Mesa oversized straight or my Marshall slant, I use “large recto “.

Chris is spot on. I mix and match when using both my "real" Mesa 2x12 cabs and when using the IRs as well. Sometime it adds that little extra something without having to mess around with EQs and filter blocks. Experiment, that's the real beauty of the Fractal gear.

Though I agree with the "set it to whatever feels / sounds right" strategy to an extent, I always prefer a situation where I dialed in specific settings by ear AND for specific reasons (or according to what the modelled reference gear would be set to for a given desired sound) and arrived at my "best" sound.

Similar to OP I have 2 Mesa Cabs (112 ported) with SSPA and randomly found a curve I like (I forget which one but an oddball choice from the description in relation to the actual cabs I have) but it bugs me that for this page of the amp block I can't yet "logically" choose settings (been trying to get my cabs resonace frequencies ... and use that for the curse values but no wow moments yet of "ya these are logically the values that should get this cab sounding best and they do" - I think with real cabs, the challenge is to accurately measure their specs in order for the Axe to correctly react to them).

...I have 2 Mesa Cabs (112 ported) with SSPA and randomly found a curve I like (I forget which one but an oddball choice from the description in relation to the actual cabs I have) but it bugs me that for this page of the amp block I can't yet "logically" choose settings (been trying to get my cabs resonace frequencies ... and use that for the curse values but no wow moments yet of "ya these are logically the values that should get this cab sounding best and they do"...
Real, physical cabs are just combinations of parts that someone found practical to design, build and sell. They're not the full set of all possible combinations, and they're not necessarily the best possible combinations. Don't feel bad that you found a combination that you like better.

The golden rule

There's the moral Golden Rule and Platinum Rule.

For audio, I suggest:
  • The Silver (Audiophile) Rule - Do/buy/own/use what is the most expensive and elitist in audio equipment. Be convinced it sounds the best because it is the best. (E.g. https://www.moon-audio.com/cardas-clear-interconnect.html?sku=Cardas_Clear_IC)
  • The Nickel (Vintage/"Purity"/"Authenticity") Rule: Believe that authentic vintage gear is best and all newer gear (including modelers) is garbage. Corollary: In the modeling world believe that there are only certain amp-cab combinations that are valid/good.
  • The Copper (Ear/Cliff) Rule: Do whatever sounds good to you

Last edited:
Garlic improves almost everything, but maybe not actually everything.

And those are not actually rectos, no matter how high you stack em ;)

Back
Top Bottom