Is internet connection essential for recording?

AndyOrr

Experienced
I built a nice studio / rehearsal space above my shop. The internet connection is spotty at best - It’s too far from the house. I’ve hesitated to commit to putting my recording desk out there due to lack of internet. Whaddya think? Do I need to be connected to get things to work correctly? I’m using a Mac Pro with Logic, UA Apollo, UA Plugins and Waves.

I’ve seen some guys that intentionally make certain that their recording desk is isolated from the internet. It means that you have 100% control over what/when updates happen and nothing malicious can get in and tank your system.

I record in a storage unit turned practice space with a Mac mini. I use my phone as a hotspot to get it online we’re out there but that’s primarily for syncing iCloud notes and watching YouTube videos. For anything recording related that requires internet (new software, major updates etc) I’ll typically bring the computer back to the house and do it there.

Short version: not at all

I built a nice studio / rehearsal space above my shop. The internet connection is spotty at best - It’s too far from the house. I’ve hesitated to commit to putting my recording desk out there due to lack of internet. Whaddya think? Do I need to be connected to get things to work correctly? I’m using a Mac Pro with Logic, UA Apollo, UA Plugins and Waves.

It can be done, and at one time it was quite common. However, that's kind of rare these days. The reason is there are so many benefits to having your studio connected. Downloading software, sample libraries, presets, and updates. Authorizing software. Sharing your recordings and screen captures. Viewing youtube product demonstrations and reviews on your recording rig. Getting technical support. There are just so many benefits these days to the connected studio, that it's almost a must-have. Tethering to your phone can work in a pinch, but for large downloads or video watching you might run into data cap problems.

I think the lack of internet connection is critical for recording. Otherwise there's too much temptation to bullshit on the forums and not enough time to do anything useful. I manage to kick this affliction from time to time, but right now I'm in full relapse. Building up the willpower to go cold turkey again.

I think the lack of internet connection is critical for recording. Otherwise there's too much temptation to bullshit on the forums and not enough time to do anything useful. I manage to kick this affliction from time to time, but right now I'm in full relapse. Building up the willpower to go cold turkey again.

SO true.

As @plexi59 was pointing out, many studios are purposely built to eliminate the intrusion of the world's BS into your creative environment. I don't want to sound like Morpheus, but you do need to "Free Your Mind" of distractions and outside concerns or recording seems never to get finished. I think you're ahead of the game, and it would be even better with no service at all.

Back
Top Bottom