Is Guthrie Govan the Best* player?

Saw the Aristocrats last night. Great show! Love that it was in a small club too so I could observe all the outstanding musicianship up close. The rubber pig and chicken solo was probably my favorite – I didn't think I'd be doubled over with laughter at the show!

I am 53 years old, so my likes have been changing a bit through time. Some of my all times favorite guitarists are Blackmore, Gilmour, Steve Hacket, Steve Rothery, Andrew Latimer, Roine Stolt, Nick Barret, Jason Becker, Firkins, V.Moore... Also the older works of Vai and Satriani (some of their latest recordings give me headaches, and the same goes for Petruchi)

I have recently discovered Nick Johnston, and I have instantly felt identified with his music. I’ve even bought his backing tracks and guitar transcriptions. But I haven’t had the same reaction with Govan. I suspect that the difference is in the melodies chosen as a center of the composition. I cannot find an immediate connection with any specific melody on the Erotic Cakes album. No love at first heard with any particular memorable melody. Furthermore, some fast tempos and weird licks are stressful to my brain. Johnston also plays some crazy licks, but they are an ornament to complement a central theme with a nice melody. In other words: I can find a place to relax the mind enjoying the music. My mind doesn't find rest with what I've heard so far from Govan. Too stressful from the beginning to the end. Perhaps I am getting old :)

Same age and many of the same favorites, less the yes and marillion references.

Also agree on the Vai and Joe takes. Never liked Vai’s tone, and only some of his playing speaks to me, having said that, I have nothing but respect for the man and will read or listen to anything he puts outs...he falls in that “gets it” (like Guthrie) crowd for me...and those guys always have something to offer. Huge fan of Joe as well, but there was a stretch where he went Stephen King on me...and just seemed to be focused on product cycle vs content (contractual obligations perhaps). But as @unix-guy, mentioned, he seems to have made a course correction in recent years.

I had never heard any GG, prior to my first Aristocrats show, a couple of years ago, and didn’t know anything from the new album prior to this show. Still, I was instantly drawn in despite not knowing hardly any of it... and I think the reason is exactly what you said...it stresses my brain, but in a way I like. How they play with time, more so than note choice, is the distinction for me. I like being surprised and not being able to directly anticipate what’s next. Had I heard this 20 years ago it would have left me cold, but I’ve found that as I get older, more complex music seems “fresher” and stimulates my mind is a different way.

I really wish I had a much wider listening pallete when I was younger.

Same age and many of the same favorites, less the yes and marillion references.

Also agree on the Vai and Joe takes. Never liked Vai’s tone, and only some of his playing speaks to me, having said that, I have nothing but respect for the man and will read or listen to anything he puts outs...he falls in that “gets it” (like Guthrie) crowd for me...and those guys always have something to offer. Huge fan of Joe as well, but there was a stretch where he went Stephen King on me...and just seemed to be focused on product cycle vs content (contractual obligations perhaps). But as @unix-guy, mentioned, he seems to have made a course correction in recent years.

I had never heard any GG, prior to my first Aristocrats show, a couple of years ago, and didn’t know anything from the new album prior to this show. Still, I was instantly drawn in despite not knowing hardly any of it... and I think the reason is exactly what you said...it stresses my brain, but in a way I like. How they play with time, more so than note choice, is the distinction for me. I like being surprised and not being able to directly anticipate what’s next. Had I heard this 20 years ago it would have left me cold, but I’ve found that as I get older, more complex music seems “fresher” and stimulates my mind is a different way.

I really wish I had a much wider listening pallete when I was younger.
Just to comment on the Vai tone... I often feel the same about his recorded tones.

BUT having now attended 2 years of Vai Academy I can confirm that his live tone is really quite nice!

@Project Mayhem

That was a great show (although I have to say I enjoyed Paul Gilbert even more). I didn't realize you were in my neck of the woods...it would be great to get together and compare settings, etc.

Back to the topic on hand, I agree that his playing seems totally effortless. The Drummer and Bass Player were outrageously good. The opening band that is on tour with them ( I can't remember their name, but with the female bass player) were awesome as well.
[/QUOTE]

I’ve seen Racer X back in the day on the strip, and seen PG in Portnoys Who project, as well as the odd clinic here and there. Haven’t seen him play in a “solo” setting though...so perhaps it’s not a fair comparison in that regard. Amazing player for sure.

As @unix-guy, mentioned, it was the Travis Larson band, which I suspect they have some relationship with as that’s who opened for them last tour, as well as sharing most of the back line. Really dug the drummer in that band, and then 20 minutes later, Marco took it to another level altogether.

Always down to meet fellow fractalites.... you checking out the Snarky Puppy show?

Just to comment on the Vai tone... I often feel the same about his recorded tones.

BUT having now attended 2 years of Vai Academy I can confirm that his live tone is really quite nice!

Good point. I saw the recent generation axe show and i was enjoying it, that is until Yngwie destroyed my hearing for the next week or so.

I’d like to see Guthrie trade licks with Josh smith on a blues jam. Josh has destroyed every player I’ve seen him jam with. Imho ofcouse ;) that being said, if anyone could out blues him, it’d have to be Guthrie.

Check this for someone who Josh Smith isn’t destroying. Jack Pearson is one of baddest players around. Josh is great, but I like Jack better. And I’d be willing to bet Josh has studied Jack like crazy, too because he integrates a very similar jazz sensibility into some his stuff, Jack’s jazz bag is deep.

As to Guthrie, from what I’ve heard in terms of versatility, he’s up with anyone. Just saw the Aristocrats as evidence. What I haven’t gotten so clearly is a sense of individual style. Jeff Beck is versatile, but he’s also recognizable. As great as GG is, the Aristocrats ultimately bored me. Amazing chops and breadth, but I wasn’t moved or compelled to hear more ( partly because of their -Minneman in particular- more is more playing styles).

Gurthrie is one of the few rockers I’ve heard who seems to have a solid jazz sensibility and chordal knowledge which I appreciate and it feels right when he plays in a variety of styles.

Steve Morse is someone fluent across a range of styles who does sound like himself across them. His bag might not be quite as deep, but it’s more coherent to me.

Last edited:
Check this for someone who Josh Smith isn’t destroying. Jack Pearson is one of baddest players around. Josh is great, but I like Jack better. And I’d be willing to bet Josh has studied Jack like crazy, too because he integrates a very similar jazz sensibility into some his stuff, Jack’s jazz bag is deep.

As to Guthrie, from what I’ve heard in terms of versatility, he’s up with anyone. Just saw the Aristocrats as evidence. What I haven’t gotten so clearly is a sense of individual style. Jeff Beck is versatile, but he’s also recognizable. As great as GG is, the Aristocrats ultimately bored me. Amazing chops and breadth, but I wasn’t moved or compelled to hear more ( partly because of their -Minneman in particular- more is more playing styles).

Gurthrie is one of the few rockers I’ve heard who seems to have a solid jazz sensibility and chordal knowledge which I appreciate and it feels right when he plays in a variety of styles.

Steve Morse is someone fluent across a range of styles who does sound like himself across them. His bag might not be quite as deep, but it’s more coherent to me.

That was nice; thanks!

Back
Top Bottom