Is Guthrie Govan the Best* player?

Project Mayhem

Experienced
Saw Guthrie and the Aristocrats again last night and found myself in utter amazement again.

I have seen greater players over the years...I haven't seen a better* guitar player than Guthrie.

There are other players who "speak to me' more directly and whose music I prefer...but I have never seen anyone who can speak fluently in as many languages as Guthrie does. Seems like we all like to collect various things, and it seems like Guthrie likes collecting technique. He seems to be one of the few guys that have reached that point that he can play whatever he thinks, with no technical obstacles to overcome...complete command of the instrument.

Best*

Note I'm saying "best" in terms of having the ability to have the widest vocabulary/articulation on the instrument...not appeal/sales/impact, etc....

To use a baseball analogy:

YJM/AY/BG/MS/EC 1 tool players
SRV/EJ/EVH/JP/GM 2-3- tool players
SV/JS/AT/JP 4-5 tool players
Jeff Beck Yes.

Guthrie All the tools.

Maybe he's a horrible flamenco player...but if he is, it's because he hasn't chosen pursue it yet. Strikes me as a guy who never says "good enough", and moves on.

I'm sure there are others who may be on or above his level...but of what I have seen personally...he's the best.

Highly recommend catching the tour if its anywhere near you. You won't be disappointed.

Although highly subjective, I do understand how you´re thinking. Havent seen him live so cant tell, but from various online content he seems to have a massive "tool box".

I would add Paul Gilbert in the big (all?) "tool box" category.

I'll be going at the end of the week- Outside of watching 30 minutes total of him on youtube in 3 years I'm not familiar with the band/his work- so I'm excited to check it out.

I'll be going at the end of the week- Outside of watching 30 minutes total of him on youtube in 3 years I'm not familiar with the band/his work- so I'm excited to check it out.

Your going dig it. Marco Minnerman is one of the best drummers you'll ever see, and Bryan Beller, the bass player is no slouch either. They were Satriani's rhythm section for recent tours, but in this setting you can really see their chops... to say nothing about how insanely tight they are.

And Guthrie will blow your mind.

Guthrie uses an FX8 throughout the show, and I have to say the tone and the entire mix were amazing.

Last edited:
Although highly subjective, I do understand how you´re thinking. Havent seen him live so cant tell, but from various online content he seems to have a massive "tool box".

I would add Paul Gilbert in the big (all?) "tool box" category.

Good point! Yes, he has displayed a wide range of tools over the years and I would certainly put him towards the top in that regard. But having seen both multiple times, I would still say Guthrie. In fairness, the music itself makes different demands though.

Last edited:
I haven't seen him live, but watch as much of him on youtube as I can, and I have his album. It's not just the breadth of technique that amazes me, but the amazing creativity.

Your going dig it. Marco Minnerman is one of the best drummers you'll ever see, and Brian Beller, the bass player is no slouch either. They were Satriai's rhythm section for recent tours, but in this setting you can really see their chops... to say nothing about how insanely tight they are.

And Guthrie will blow your mind.

Guthrie uses an FX8 throughout the show, and I have to say the tone and the entire mix were amazing.

I've seen Marco's work online, like the dream theater drummer documentary- he was up there

Bryan I've been familiar with since the days of Vai, and saw him with Joe Travers (ZPZ) on drums with Satriani and Mike Kenelly
I've seen Satriani a million times, and Stu Hamm is my fav bassist for years- but that band was incredible. Best I've seen him- Mike/Joe/Bryan have been playing together 25 years and seeing them playing new stuff (Satriani's music) was really incredible- super tight yet fresh.

Bryan was GOOD with Vai, but he's GREAT with Satriani his musicianship and understanding of the song and being musical is amazing.

And...has a solo album coming out very very soon- that I've been really impressed with

He's the best in my book. I've been lucky enough to chat with him a couple of times at private masterclasses and watching him play up close is honestly scary. He's like a magician. You honestly can't believe what you're hearing/seeing.

GG has the full collection of Guitar Style Infinity gems at his disposal and uses them for the good of all......snap.

Last edited:
I saw him a few weeks ago... blew my mind!

At that point I decided I needed a guitar lesson from him... it would have went something like this:

GG: Hi Mick, nice to meet you

Mick: Hey Guthrie, nice to meet you as well

GG: So, here is a guitar stand. You gently place the guitar in it and walk away.

Mick: Got it! Thanks a ton!

I am kidding of course but he is unreal live and a genuinely really nice guy, which makes him even more awesome in my book!

I've seen Marco's work online, like the dream theater drummer documentary- he was up there

Bryan I've been familiar with since the days of Vai, and saw him with Joe Travers (ZPZ) on drums with Satriani and Mike Kenelly
I've seen Satriani a million times, and Stu Hamm is my fav bassist for years- but that band was incredible. Best I've seen him- Mike/Joe/Bryan have been playing together 25 years and seeing them playing new stuff (Satriani's music) was really incredible- super tight yet fresh.

Bryan was GOOD with Vai, but he's GREAT with Satriani his musicianship and understanding of the song and being musical is amazing.

And...has a solo album coming out very very soon- that I've been really impressed with

The album is out and available on their merch table. Additionally, Marco has an album he did with Alex lifeson available as well.

Like you, I’ve seen Joe countless times, going all the way back to the beginning...and he’s always surrounded himself with great players. Marco and Bryan are exceptional.

Enjoy your show.

Joe is the man.......I got to see him recently in his role as the Vaultmeister .....IN THE VAULT. NDA in force so all I can say is it was cool seeing him in his non- drumming element.....and I gazed upon a huge many important things in there. ....( some of which we all be seeing/hearing soon at a cinema or smart TV near you............ www.zappamovie.com ......

I definitely agree with your assessment.

I got to spend a week in close proximity with The Aristocrats (and Satch, Animals as Leaders, etc) at The G4 Experience in 2015.

He is amazingly talented and versed in so many styles. And he's a very humble and down to earth guy.

And extremely animated when he speaks.

Even though it should not have been, there is content of the camp posted on YouTube.

Check the first part of the series here:

I was sitting in the audience :)

Back
Top Bottom