Is guitar dead in popular music ?

Well music has gotten pretty streamlined now a days, productivity plays the major roll now. Sound quality, unique and outstanding compositions have to take a back seat now.
MP3 rules and high-end audio has gone vintage, the drummers name is SD 2.0 and the bass player Trilian 1.4, he’s got a buddy VB3, that plays a mean B3 and so on.
I think they’ve also developed an algorithm to write songs, but that damned guitarist just does not want to get digitized, too much fuckin data they say….. oh well, we’ll just leave his ass out then.
There’s hope though, with our little black box we’ve just raised the bar for rock-chop productivity and creativity, thanks Cliff and FAS for the hemi loaded rock-box.
Too much fuckin data my ass!;)

Last edited:
As long as there are kids like Cooper and Andy Wood, there's hope. It's too late for us. We didn't have the talent or the chops anyway.

Great answers people. With regards to the whole "who cares about mainstream pop? / just listen to what you like" type of thing - of course you can do that, but the point is more about the gigs drying up. I have noticed that, over the last 20 years, it has become relatively harder to get gigs. Maybe just because I'm fatter and balder LOL ...

Good points about metal festivals doing well, and the various subgenres of country being very popular. All very true.
Anyway, I love the shit out of all genres of music. Rock on ...

gigs drying up. I have noticed that, over the last 20 years, it has become relatively harder to get gigs....

Much of that has to do with nationalized drinking age of 21, strict DUI enforcement and smoking restrictions.

We're in a trough, but just like the stock market, it will comeback even after it appears the bottom has fallen out.

In the 80's I had an older relative who made his living playing guitar in bar bands and the best one was a very pro 'top 40' pop band, a term pretty much interchangeable with 'cover band' back then. Their set list was literally every single song in that week's current top 40. They'd have to learn a few new songs almost every week, but they could always make them work out with guitar, bass, drums, keys and both a male and a female lead vocalist.

I think a pop 'top 40' band is impossible today. What would the guitar player do for the 95% of songs that have no guitar? 'Rock' top 40 band, maybe, but modern guitar driven rock is heavy, TOO heavy for a lot of the mainstream venues. So there's fewer gigs, just the few venues who'll do hard rock. 'Classic Rock' bands filled the gap for a long time, but those old songs keep getting older and tireder.

1. guitar still played a significant role in 80s music, whereas it is all but absent in top-40 music now.
at Monday's rehearsal we learned Uptown Funk, the Mark Ronson's tune based on an 80's song. It seemed to have plenty of guitar in it

2. A guitar is bought every second of every day, which is great. However, the general public's desire to hear guitar in music seems to be waning.
the supply side of the pop music industry is using fewer guitars. However that is a declining industry, whereas live music, and play-it-yourself aren't.

From my POV guitar playing has become like if you go to the gym, deattach your brain and work for speed and what have you to get that fast picking that will get many likes on YouTube.
And all the endorsers are just the same. Using backing-tracks to convince the lesser player that "this just nailes you". Testosterone at it's finest.
I'm still sorry that the Axe is a shredding-machine due to all the hard-core IR's etc.
When Jeff Beck finally turns to the Axe I'm more than happy.
Still happy tweaking mine.

From my POV guitar playing has become like if you go to the gym, deattach your brain and work for speed and what have you to get that fast picking that will get many likes on YouTube.
And all the endorsers are just the same. Using backing-tracks to convince the lesser player that "this just nailes you". Testosterone at it's finest.
I'm still sorry that the Axe is a shredding-machine due to all the hard-core IR's etc.
When Jeff Beck finally turns to the Axe I'm more than happy.
Still happy tweaking mine.
Gonna have to disagree with everything you said except the last sentence.

I fail to see how physical fitness equates to detaching one's brain. Those are the words of the meak, not the wise.

Marketing is so much deeper than simply attacking one predominantly male hormone, but yes, that is a tactic in some cases. Here, however, I just get the sense you're completely writing off an entire genre just because it doesn't suit your tastes.

Not posting just to rag on your thoughts, and to get to the point of mine...

I'm reminded of Dave Navarro tearing up "Dirty" with Xtina Aguilera, and whoever that was shredding nutz while Rhianna was complaining about "some bitch owing her money" at the I <3 Radio awards the other night...

...Guitar isn't going anywhere, but maybe the players who practice 11 hours a day have.

I think I get the point of what he's saying here, which is that in some circles, guitar playing has become more of an athletic endeavour than an artistic one - ie trying to show off how fast you can blast out an arpeggio from one end of the fretboard to the other.

There is a no denying that that style of playing is popular on YouTube, and that it also helps to sell guitar products, but I think that element has always been around. The main difference now is that there are so many resources available to help learn to play like that, which is why it's more prevalent.

This is true, but here is what concerns me:

1. guitar still played a significant role in 80s music, whereas it is all but absent in top-40 music now.
2. A guitar is bought every second of every day, which is great. However, the general public's desire to hear guitar in music seems to be waning. This set of circumstances leads to an oversupply of guitar players and a lack of demand, which in turn means a shortage of gigs, and the horrible prospect of guitar playing eventually degrading to a "hobby" for "enthusiasts".

sorry to be on such a downer - just tell me I'm wrong and its all cool.

Since the internet became widespread illegal downloading has meant that record companies now go for tried and tested methods of music production to maximise their profits, even in so far as to generate their own market via X Factor et al. This has lead to a homogenous type of music in the mainstream and the demographic that pays for this kind of music is that with the most disposable money (even if it is their parents income). It's also cheaper to buy a plug in and loop a preset than it is to generate music of a more complex nature. However, in this guitarists are hugely guilty of this simplification of music.... but that's a discussion for another thread.

This has lead to a lot of music styles that don't fit the mould being driven to the sidelines. However with new distribution methods (that the record companies don't seem to have gotten their heads around) now in existence the old model is evolving and peoples tastes change as they get older. They tend to be less satisfied with the One Directions and the Bruno Mars type and search for new musical stimulants. This will always give rise to the guitar being the instrument of popularity as people tend to want the human element in their music to not be limited to the voice. This seems to have given rise to a lot more music that is readily available, and also to a 'quantity not equals quality' phenomenon.

In short, there will always be guitar and there will always be people who will prove Billy Corgan wrong time and again.

Great answers people. With regards to the whole "who cares about mainstream pop? / just listen to what you like" type of thing - of course you can do that, but the point is more about the gigs drying up. I have noticed that, over the last 20 years, it has become relatively harder to get gigs. Maybe just because I'm fatter and balder LOL ...

Good points about metal festivals doing well, and the various subgenres of country being very popular. All very true.
Anyway, I love the shit out of all genres of music. Rock on ...

Regarding the gigs drying up, there are a lot of guilty parties on this one. I personally would prefer to pay €10 to go to a pub where I know there will be a decent band than go to a pub with no cover charge and listen to either mp3s or a band with no quality control. There are a lot of crap bands out there and this is in part the fault of there being a lack of quality control. Don't get me wrong, I teach young musicians for a living and they DO need to be given a chance. In that regard my school puts on gigs every six months where the musicians can cut their teeth with some live experience. Bring the quality up and respect will rise.

I can't help but think that the quality control issue and the pay in general can be solved by membership of some kind of collective or union.

Regarding the gigs drying up, there are a lot of guilty parties on this one. I personally would prefer to pay €10 to go to a pub where I know there will be a decent band than go to a pub with no cover charge and listen to either mp3s or a band with no quality control. There are a lot of crap bands out there and this is in part the fault of there being a lack of quality control. Don't get me wrong, I teach young musicians for a living and they DO need to be given a chance. In that regard my school puts on gigs every six months where the musicians can cut their teeth with some live experience. Bring the quality up and respect will rise.

I can't help but think that the quality control issue and the pay in general can be solved by membership of some kind of collective or union.

+1
I just noticed that I go less to local concerts and I was wondering why. I am still quite young and most of the times I am not interested when I don't know any of the bands.
My conclusion: I was disappointed 80% of the times by the quality of the bands that were playing. Over time I became less interested and this is what I also observed on a lot of ppl.

I work in a office, and none of my co-workers are musicians. I've observed that few of them have anything more than a passing interest in music, and just go with the flow. They only listen to what's been force fed to them through the media and they watch the TV talent shows at the weekend. I'd wager that few of them have ever experienced watching a live band. What I've noticed also is they are unable to distinguish between computer generated music and music created by a band or real instruments. A drum machine, and a drummer sound exactly the same to them, and they don't care which is which. They just enjoy it, in lo-fi on their phones etc, then move on. Okay, I'm not putting any of my co-workers down, in actual fact I envy them a little. So much in the modern popular music world winds me up, that it would be nice not to know. i.e. ignorance is bliss.

I remember being at a friends house playing pool in the basement, back in 1976. I was 12 at the time. My friend had two older brothers who were really into music (then again, who wasn't back then) and stereo equipment. My friend grabbed an album (vinyl of course) by some band called...Boston. He put the album on a belt-driven Sansui turntable, that had a brand new diamond needle on it. The turntable was connected to a Sansui amp., which was also connected to a pair of monstrous Cerwin-Vega speakers. The moment he set that needle down and I heard those guitars and those vocals...I was absolutely blown away and hooked!!! The richness of the sound quality was absolutely stunning. It felt like the band was in the room with you. I remember listening to the album from start to finish, more than once that day and it just got better and better, each time.

My friends brothers had also built their own speakers and cabinets, complete with woofers, tweeters and cross-overs and they sounded almost as good as the Cerwin-Vegas. I was impressed and in awe. Now I was hooked on being a techie. as well and I wanted to learn everything I could about electronics and stereos. Soon after, I saved enough money and I bought my own Sansui stereo system, speakers and albums...Boston, Queen, The Eagles, The Who, Pink Floyd (I remember listening to the Wall from start to finish, over and over), AC/DC, etc. I was fortunate enough to be able to be part of the last years of true rock and roll!!! I wish I would have picked up a guitar then and learned to play...unfortunately though, that didn't happen until I was 41, almost 10 years ago. Better late than never I guess...having a lot of fun now, especially with the Axe-Fx II and being able to play at night with headphones or through an amp. when no one is around.

My first concert was in 1978...Trooper, great Canadian band. I grew up in a small northern Canadian town...not a lot of concerts to go to. When I was older and moved away to school, I was fortunate enough to see The Who, Pink Floyd, Billy Idol, The Eagles, Mellancamp, Jeff Healey, David Wilcox, April Wine, Northern Pikes, Tom Petty and many others. I remember seeing U2 during the ZooTv tour in 1992 at Exhibition Stadium in Toronto. Edge's tones and his guitar playing absolutely blew me away. Not only did they sound incredible live, but the whole visual experience was something else. I brought a tenant with me to the show. He had literally just moved in that weekend. It was his first time away from home and it was his first concert. He was a huge Danzig fan and had no idea who U2 was. He rented from me for two years and five of my U2 CD's never left his 5-disc player the entire time.

Other than a few recent bands like Imagine Dragons, One Republic, Fun and not so recent, like Green Day, The Killers, etc., when I think of the music industry today and what's classified as 'music', it makes me sad, really sad! There's no artistic creativity, no lyrics to speak of and most importantly...no guitar. I remember Don Henley saying that back in the 60's and 70's, if you didn't have 10 quality songs, there was no way a record label would produce an album for you, it was just too expensive. I think that was a great 'quality control' check.

Most people today don't care about music and what it stood for and they don't understand what true musical talent and artistic creativity is. Case in point...Justin Bieber! Oh well, guess I'm just getting too old.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom