Is CLR my best option

As you're in the UK I'd stay away from the boutique US made stuff - simply because repairs would be a bit of a nightmare. The CLR was being flogged via a few UK musical retailers but it seems constantly 'awaiting arrival' - last time I looked anyway. I've formed the impression that it's a bit dodgy in terms of reliability from reports on here ..... so throwing it in and out of a van and our lovely damp UK atmosphere is bound to test it.

I'd normally say the EU would be safer .... but what Brexit might bring (or not bring) throws a damp speaker cone over that option at the moment. Those Red speakers that Marco Fanton uses (endorses?) seem pretty good.

That leaves you more or less jammed into trying to use something UK manufactured specifically for FRFR guitar modelling or maybe more conventional internationally made stage monitors that can be bought through UK based distributors or retail outlets with warranty and repair channels - EG RCF NX12-SMA which was highly regarded as a good box for the AxeFX back a few years ago. Pricey but good ( having heard quite a few stage monitors in my time the RCFs always seem to be the best ones)

The Matrix gear is pretty good. I have a FR212 (it's a passive 2x12 with 1inch HF) which I've never used and would flog.

One comment I'll add on the negative side for the CLR: what material they put on the cabinet is NOT durable. I don't think I've ever seen a used one (that wasn't used only at home) that did not have cracked/chipped finish on the corners.

By comparison, the Xitone cabs would take a tumble down a flight of stairs like a drunken Eddie Van Halen...;)

in general, i try to buy/use gear that is the most reproducible and easiest to get. i don't want that one-off guitar that's the secret to my tone, i don't want that one-of-a-kind pedal that gives me my tone. things break, things disappear. i want to be able to easily get a replacement if anything happens. this usually means lower prices as well, generally speaking. so even if some gear sounds a bit better than what i use, it doesn't matter to me because i already have a good sound (more than good compared to the typical, really), and i can easily get more of the same if needed. my speakers, guitar, strings, cables, etc. are either at my local store, or are always in stock at online stores.

i never want to say "man i can't play tonight because i can't find this special pick anywhere." that's just me, but it's worked well for me, compared to some peers who are like that. just some perspective and my opinion.
Axe-Fx? ;)

I got in touch with the UK dealer and they said they would guarantee it for one year but if it developed a fault after that, they would not be able to help me I would need to send it back to the states etc...
so with that I’m afraid I will have to avoid the Atomic CLR like a bad smell :confused:

Yes, you should probably avoid the dodgy, smelly CLRs.....doesn’t sound like they’re for you.:rolleyes:

They would be for me...but the reliability is a worry and not being able to get them repaired in the UK etc... so I’m going to buy a Matrix amp to use with my Q12 and this will also give me the option to use real cabs also.... shame but I’m sure the Q12 will be ok.

They would be for me...but the reliability is a worry and not being able to get them repaired in the UK etc... so I’m going to buy a Matrix amp to use with my Q12 and this will also give me the option to use real cabs also.... shame but I’m sure the Q12 will be ok.
Can you get the matrix amp repaired in the UK?

A Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 would be a small footprint backup solution to the Matrix too.

That's the added benefit to using passive speakers - you can bring backup amplification to get you out of a hole. If one of the Matrix channels was to go down, swap to other channel. If Matrix output dies completely, dig out the emergency small backup power amp.

Maybe even the SD PS170 would be enough as a primary power amp ..... 300 quid new .... might be worth a 14 day buy and try? If it worked then you could even buy 2 keeping one in reserve for backup for same as the Matrix GT1000FX new price.

The Fryette Power Station is supposed to be the biz too ... quite awkward form factor and 100 quid dearer than a Matrix GT1000 .... but that 60W tube power section is probably going to be loud enough at low input settings and therefore not add too much output tube distortion.

Matrix has good customer service. As does Atomic in my experience. Both replaced failed modules quickly for me at no charge.

Atomic emailed me...if anything goes wrong it has to be shipped to the USA for repairs, Andertons who sell the CLR in the UK put a one year warranty on but it is return to base (USA) if anything goes wrong it could take weeks or months to get sorted... just not worth taking the risk particularly with the reliability problems.

Atomic emailed me...if anything goes wrong it has to be shipped to the USA for repairs, Andertons who sell the CLR in the UK put a one year warranty on but it is return to base (USA) if anything goes wrong it could take weeks or months to get sorted... just not worth taking the risk particularly with the reliability problems.

I thought I had an issue with one of my CLRs which I bought about 8 months ago, I got in touch with Andertons and they immediately offered to send a replacement for me, and to collect the original CLR. So there was no waiting there at all.

In the end, it turned out the fault was with my audio interface, not the CLR.

I thought I had an issue with one of my CLRs which I bought about 8 months ago, I got in touch with Andertons and they immediately offered to send a replacement for me, and to collect the original CLR. So there was no waiting there at all.

In the end, it turned out the fault was with my audio interface, not the CLR.

They told me if they are low on stock they would need to return it to base :-(

They told me if they are low on stock they would need to return it to base :-(

Ah I see, ok that sucks! I was only speaking out of my personal experience with them, which was very recent and I think they do have ample stock at the moment.

As you're in the UK I'd stay away from the boutique US made stuff - simply because repairs would be a bit of a nightmare. The CLR was being flogged via a few UK musical retailers but it seems constantly 'awaiting arrival' - last time I looked anyway. I've formed the impression that it's a bit dodgy in terms of reliability from reports on here ..... so throwing it in and out of a van and our lovely damp UK atmosphere is bound to test it.

I'd normally say the EU would be safer .... but what Brexit might bring (or not bring) throws a damp speaker cone over that option at the moment. Those Red speakers that Marco Fanton uses (endorses?) seem pretty good.

That leaves you more or less jammed into trying to use something UK manufactured specifically for FRFR guitar modelling or maybe more conventional internationally made stage monitors that can be bought through UK based distributors or retail outlets with warranty and repair channels - EG RCF NX12-SMA which was highly regarded as a good box for the AxeFX back a few years ago. Pricey but good ( having heard quite a few stage monitors in my time the RCFs always seem to be the best ones)

The Matrix gear is pretty good. I have a FR212 (it's a passive 2x12 with 1inch HF) which I've never used and would flog.

I'm new to the Fractal world, just got my AX8 and wanted an Atomic but like you all have said, they are on back order with no delivery date so don't want to wait. Would you please give me two others you'd recommend I look at? I like the Friedman ASC 10 because it looks like what I'm used to with my tube amps and reviews sound good but would appreciate your opinion on a couple others to consider. thank you.

The Friedman gets a mean sound, but it's very heavy. If you are gigging, maybe a Matrix F12? A lot of people on the forum also like one that's a bit more than the CLR. I think it's called an RCF NX (something). If you don't gig, consider just getting some good powered studio monitors.

Back
Top Bottom