Is CLR my best option

andyp13

Power User
Ready to buy a powered FRFR cab.... is the Atomic CLR Neo my best option.... I have not heard the Friedman but have read many negatives regarding the weight....
I’m looking for something to give me an honest sound (as uncoloured as poss) as well as something that can be used as ‘Backline’ for smaller gigs that have no FOH.
Is there anything else or is CLR the way to go.....

i've used a CLR in a rehearsal/lesson once. it sounded great, though i couldn't test too deep at all. it has a reputation of being the most uncolored, so i'd guess that's correct with how many people have said it. for me personally, i've seen too many issues with it malfunctioning or breaking, though i've heard turnaround for fixing it is fast.

that said, i've personally owned and used the NX12-SMA by RCF for years, and it has a true flat response. it's my favorite speaker. but it's a bit big for me, the handle sucks for carrying it more than 4 seconds, and it uses a special locking power cable that i hope i never lose. i use it on occasion now, when i know my gig might be prone to feedback, or if i just want that sound. i bought it used for $1000, though the new price is around $2000 these days. definitely buy used.

i've heard great things about the Dynacord AXM-12A speaker, but its wattage seems low to me. people say it's plenty loud though, and i definitely want to buy a pair regardless.

i'm currently using a pair of CP8 by QSC. mostly because it was low priced, and i needed "regular" powered speakers for small mains or general use. i need to EQ them heavily for the rooms i'm in, compared to light EQ on the NX12-SMA, but once it's dialed it, they sound great for the price and size. loud for their size, but can't compete with a 12" more powerful speaker for sure.

yamaha DXR or similar series are pretty close to the CP8 style.

Seems like FRFR speakers are like guitar pick-ups.....ask a bunch of guitar players which is the best, and they will tell you that what they are using is the best! I think if you browse the first three pages of this section, you will see this same topic...over and over again.

All I can tell you is, I was using a pair of JBL eons before I got my CLRs, and soon as hit the first chord through the CLRs, I knew they were a huge upgrade, and never looked back! YMMV!:)

i've used a CLR in a rehearsal/lesson once. it sounded great, though i couldn't test too deep at all. it has a reputation of being the most uncolored, so i'd guess that's correct with how many people have said it. for me personally, i've seen too many issues with it malfunctioning or breaking, though i've heard turnaround for fixing it is fast.

It’s worrying about the reliability of the CLR’s there does seem quite a few people having issues with them.... my other option is to buy a Matrix gt1000fx to use with my Q12 and which will also give me the option of using real cabs also... I may go for that as I feel a little uneasy spending £800 on something that’s unreliable... thanks for the help.

Seems like FRFR speakers are like guitar pick-ups.....ask a bunch of guitar players which is the best, and they will tell you that what they are using is the best! I think if you browse the first three pages of this section, you will see this same topic...over and over again.

All I can tell you is, I was using a pair of JBL eons before I got my CLRs, and soon as hit the first chord through the CLRs, I knew they were a huge upgrade, and never looked back! YMMV!:)
Are you finding them reliable?

The power amp quit on one of mine just after the warranty was over, but Tom quickly replaced it at no charge anyway! Been using them since(several years) with no issues.

Don’t know if they would repair them in the UK though.... quite horrified to read how many people are having reliability issues with them...just on this site alone..

Your reading more “issues” because so many people have, it’s probaly the most popular unit on the market.

Can you assume Gemini has no issues because you haven’t read any ? Not really, because I don’t know anyone who’s got one in the first place.

Don’t know if they would repair them in the UK though.... quite horrified to read how many people are having reliability issues with them...just on this site alone..

Just like bradlake alluded to, I think those problems were with the earliest versions. Not sure how many issues there have been since?

Maybe try something from Matrix if they’re more local?

I started using an Ultra with a Roadking and a THD cabinet. Changed to a Verve FBT FRFR to save weight. Changed to a Matrix 1000 amp to the THD. Switched a Matrix FR12 to save more weight. Now I am with a CLR and definitely like it best of the lot. It's heavier than the FR12, but sounds better, especially on cleans. And it's loud and mean sounding for solos. You can dial any of these speakers in to get whatever tone you like. I think the CLR just starts closer. I like mine so much I bought a used one for back up.

As far as issues, I had problems with modules on two of the above units. Both were replaced quickly free of charge. I think the modules are the new tubes, susceptible to failure.

Regarding the Gemini: I had one for testing at my studio yesterday and I suspect something was broken (I can't believe it behaved as it was intended by Mission - if so: it's bad...). There was either ground hum or squealing (ground lift switched on and off), Bluetooth leaks into the amp and it sounded thin and brittle... Comparison was with Dynacord AXM-12a, Laney FRFR and BlueAmps Spark (which all sound fine).

I was in early on the pre-sale waiting list for an active CLR and had an odd distortion coming from one when I got it. Module was replaced at no charge, quickly, and never had a problem since. They're the only speaker I own that I consider to be a keeper, and have had many years of reliable use from them. I can understand a little trepidation in doing business in the UK with a small American company like Atomic. I think you'll find the product to be worth it. Arguably, the CLR performs far above its price point, subjectively, of course.

best out there....don't hesitate. but it's also very unforgiving in the sense that it puts out exactly what you put it, and if your patch isn't good, it will let you know really fast, which can be frustrating for some.

I use a QSC K10.2 and a Yamaha DXR 10. The QSC is flatter and sounds better at lower volumes than the DXR IMHO. The QSC is a lot more flexible with its presets and EQ also. Both sound great at stage volume. Can’t comment on the CLR, never heard one in person.
Tried the 10”&12” Friedmans and thought they colored the sound more than I preferred.

best out there....don't hesitate. but it's also very unforgiving in the sense that it puts out exactly what you put it, and if your patch isn't good, it will let you know really fast, which can be frustrating for some.

Keep in mind that while yes, it is very accurate, which can be a good or bad things, its ALSO very accurate over a very wide dispersion pattern, and really far better than anything else I've tried in this regard. Being able to move off axis a bit and still have the same tone is a very nice thing.

I've had other musicians often comment how amazed they were that my wedge was facing at me, and they could still hear me really well even from where they were standing. A lot of speakers are very directional, meaning if your not in the sweet spot, the frequency response drops way off, so it can sound muddy if your not facing it, or, if its hitting right at your ears, ice pick city. The CLR is about as flat as it gets over about a 90 degree dispersion pattern

I have a Yamaha DXR10 and A/B'd it with my friend's CLR to see if getting one would be worth it. I love my Yamaha but I have to admit the CLR was noticeably better. Just fuller and more clear sounding.

That being said, others have had terrible customer service experiences with Atomic and they've shared those stories here and elsewhere. I too have had poor service from them with other products. Also, CLR's are endlessly backordered and nearly impossible to get. You'd think they were handwired one at a time by a 90-year-old man in a shed somewhere as hard as they are to get ahold of. My name is on the notification list but I don't expect to hear anything soon.

Many folks seem happy with Xitone products. I don't have one but I've sent many emails to them and Mick the owner seems like a really good dude to deal with. Builds to order so be prepared to wait a month or two for yours.

If you don't need "the best", the DXR's are totally decent, available everywhere and you'll have cash leftover for more IR packs. :)

in general, i try to buy/use gear that is the most reproducible and easiest to get. i don't want that one-off guitar that's the secret to my tone, i don't want that one-of-a-kind pedal that gives me my tone. things break, things disappear. i want to be able to easily get a replacement if anything happens. this usually means lower prices as well, generally speaking. so even if some gear sounds a bit better than what i use, it doesn't matter to me because i already have a good sound (more than good compared to the typical, really), and i can easily get more of the same if needed. my speakers, guitar, strings, cables, etc. are either at my local store, or are always in stock at online stores.

i never want to say "man i can't play tonight because i can't find this special pick anywhere." that's just me, but it's worked well for me, compared to some peers who are like that. just some perspective and my opinion.

"man i can't play tonight because i can't find this special pick anywhere"

I agree with your entire post...but I just can't play with anything other than the very unique and inevitably discontinued V-Pick Euro model pick. :)

Back
Top Bottom