Is AX8 good for everything?

laci0604

Hi!

I’m about to purchase an AX8, and replace my Line6 Vetta II stack, but I’m slightly insecure about it.

It is simple to play with a regular guitar amplifier, you just plug in your guitar, and it works, it sounds the same usually, but with an AX8, you need the PA system to play the guitar, and this dependency honestly scares me a little. What if the PA is not good qualjty, or something like that?

Have you played a gig with the AX8 where it would be better if you have used a regular amp instead of the AX8?

Thanks!

you need a PA system to play any guitar amp for a large audience. and then you're in the exact same situation, except you have no idea what it sounds like because you can only hear your guitar amp, not the PA.

i have used Axe-Fx gear for over 10 years and it has been way better. replaced all my amps - diezel vh4, mesa roadster, etc.

So the gigs you have played before did not have a mic on the amp/cab for PA? You guitar sound was only from on-stage?

If you are worried about the PA, get yourself a FRFR (XiTone, Headrush, Atomic, etc.) or a power amp (Fryette, Magnum 44, Quilter, etc.) to feed a regular guitar cabinet for your stage sound.

I have been using the AX8 for all gigs with only a PA feed and have had no issues with sound quality.

Uh, this is not correct. Look at the manual. A lot of people, like me, play it through a power amp and regular guitar cab.

This^^^^

To the OP,

If you are not sure what you will need for a monitoring solution it's better to stick with what you know until you are comfortable with the unit!

The AX8 is an all in one solution but with the new modling tech you have to get your head around how it works.

Line 6 has there Power cab which works or as some of the tried and true FRFR recommendations that have been already mentioned all of which I would not hesitate to buy

All in all be prepared to shell out $350-1,000 on a powered solution whether it's guitar oriented or full range, obviously the higher end cabs will yield better results.

Thank you everyone the answers!

Yes, when I play a gig there is always a PA system, and I'm gonna buy an in-ear monitor system for the AX8.

Thanks again, I'm not insecure about it anymore.

you need a PA system to play any guitar amp for a large audience. and then you're in the exact same situation, except you have no idea what it sounds like because you can only hear your guitar amp, not the PA.
This is just not true. On a stage when your amp is 20 feet away, do you really only hear your amp? What I usually hear is my amp miked up through the PA and out to a monitor right in front of me. This also negates the argument that "you don't know what your amp sounds like miked up".

My AX8 refuses to drive me home from gigs and can't make coffee to save it's life. otherwise, with a good monitor it does everything I'd need!

Sounds like a hardware problem. I would contact support before playing it again.

Miked cab brings another sound issue....every mike on the stage takes the whole stage sound. Especially when your amp is placed close to the loud drummer. A lot of sound mans compared my AX8 sound against second guitar player with Marshall stack as much more clear and stronger then real stack.

y AX8 refuses to drive me home from gigs and can't make coffee to save it's life.

I seriously wish that Cliff and M@-man would get their priorities in order for designing the AX8's successor.... These are required features.

;)

Hi!

I’m about to purchase an AX8, and replace my Line6 Vetta II stack, but I’m slightly insecure about it.

It is simple to play with a regular guitar amplifier, you just plug in your guitar, and it works, it sounds the same usually, but with an AX8, you need the PA system to play the guitar, and this dependency honestly scares me a little. What if the PA is not good qualjty, or something like that?

Have you played a gig with the AX8 where it would be better if you have used a regular amp instead of the AX8?

Thanks!

Bottom line, you can use your AX8 in the exact same way you use (and are happy with) your Vetta. Run it through a power amp and a traditional guitar cab and you're there. So no, you don't need a PA system to use it.

Direct to PA exclusively is only one option. But you do bring up a good point. For all of our high tech tweaking, the voice of our AX8 is often a slave to whatever PA (and sound guy) we are obligated to run it through in live situations. But that's really no different regardless of the amp you use.

Back
Top Bottom