Is ASIO Necessary For Me In A Particular Programming Project ?

jesussaddle

Power User
I realize that's a total mouthful.

My questions relate to cross platform vs platform specific low latency audio development.

Essentially what I'm asking of the software is to do rewind-to-start, start playback, stop and "drag user playback head position movement to new marker via GUI".

There's an amazing product that seems to do this in a noticeably more smooth and accurate manner than I'm used to. (I have pretty good ears and when one is looping audio in typical products I sense what could be inaccuracies - or it could just be in my mind).

The software is called the resoniq player free/Pro.

https://resonic.at/home

Getting code that deals with audio at this level of accuracy is desirable. For my project goals I don't care about incorporating VSTs. Providing simultaneous streaming of multiple audio threads would be necessary, but each thread would be routed in parallel with nothing more complex going on.

The project would split between pc and mobile, and the mobile channel would not deal with audio input, whereas the pc channel would deal with this eventually, along with ASIO for Windows, and such.

But I would love the initial core code to be later usable on mobile as well as Apple, Windows, and Linux.

But for all I don't know, cross-platform development of this is maybe not possible (even super-problematic to make possible in the future, in "event handler" type O/S environments) and I'd like to hear from anyone who may be able to clarify why or why not it is.

If I could do something cross-platform it would save a huge amount of time and expense.

Is there any way to start a project using cross-platform tools that can avoid addressing the fumblings of the individual platforms?

Looking into JUCE. It's a cross-platform framework for developing audio applications. Runs on Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, etc... you can even compile the same app for all of them. It can also spit out VST, AU, and AAX projects too.

Axe-Edit is programmed in JUCE.

Looking into JUCE. It's a cross-platform framework for developing audio applications. Runs on Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, etc... you can even compile the same app for all of them. It can also spit out VST, AU, and AAX projects too.

Axe-Edit is programmed in JUCE.
If I'm not mistaken, the guys at Tracktion have made their Tracktion Engine work (in JUCE modules) available, which is probably awesome, as their DAW is very stable and useful, so it stands to reason this would be usable. I'm not really sure if I can use it for what I'm doing, because I don't understand JUCE really.

Yes, Julien Storer, one of the authors of Tracktion is also the creator of JUCE. I can't remember which one came first but he has some talks on it at the Audio Developers Conference which are available on YouTube.

If you want to understand JUCE there's a good series of YouTube tutorials by TheAudioProgrammer that will get you up and running.

Back
Top Bottom