Is arrived the time for Axe-Fx III to profile an amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Kemper and Axe III and love both of them. The Kemper is absolutely incredible; when you get a good profile it sounds and feels amazing. The Axe III, especially with Cygnus, is the best option for 'real'-sounding amp tones IMO. I'd love it if we could also profile amps. But we don't need to. Everything is there in the box. I prefer the delays and reverbs in the Kemper (don't shoot me), but I spend most of my time on the Axe. I also have a Helix, and that is no slouch either. So many amazing options these days.

The thing is that AxeFxIII amp aren’t all equals. Fortunately IR is a big factor and IT IS actually like a profile of a cab. So big impact on the tone but not on attack transient etc…
I also find some AxeFxIII amps very convincing and tweaking them is enjoyable. The fact is that AxeFxIV is coming and I hope some surprises

The thing is that AxeFxIII amp aren’t all equals. Fortunately IR is a big factor and IT IS actually like a profile of a cab. So big impact on the tone but not on attack transient etc…
I also find some AxeFxIII amps very convincing and tweaking them is enjoyable. The fact is that AxeFxIV is coming and I hope some surprises
Cant wait to hear the Axe FXIV with the new Excelsius Firmware.

• Haha
Reactions: jon
I have a Kemper and Axe III and love both of them. The Kemper is absolutely incredible; when you get a good profile it sounds and feels amazing. The Axe III, especially with Cygnus, is the best option for 'real'-sounding amp tones IMO. I'd love it if we could also profile amps. But we don't need to. Everything is there in the box. I prefer the delays and reverbs in the Kemper (don't shoot me), but I spend most of my time on the Axe. I also have a Helix, and that is no slouch either. So many amazing options these days.

As someone who enjoys heaps of delay and reverb, what about the Kemper's versions appeal more to you?

Do you hear that? That is the sound of inevitability.

Patent applications usually publish publicly after 18 months (even if approval still is pending), so I assume this Fractal idea will be circulating later this year (maybe not implemented, but the idea out there).

Patent applications usually publish publicly after 18 months (even if approval still is pending), so I assume this Fractal idea will be circulating later this year (maybe not implemented, but the idea out there).
Depending on when he filed it... Cliff is sneaky that way.

The link to the patent has already been posted here quite some time ago...

No Badges.jpg
Profiles? I don't need no stinking profiles.

The AxeFX3 already has a rogues gallery of over 200 channels that go far beyond what a profile can do that will kick your backside into high gear.

As far as I'm concerned: If I adjust the advanced parameters far enough to make a substantial difference in the character of the amp: that's as much a profile as a preset.

Last edited:
  • Love
We did a comparison for an online guitar magazine (Kemper vs. Axe FxIII vs. QC vs. HX - just amps, no profiling, no fx) and took the best Kemper Profiles as a reference (because of its harder tweakabilty) and to be honest: it took me about 4 minutes to dial in an almost matching sound on each unit.

The profiling thing might be interesting for a marketing strategic point of view and i also know tons of players who only play their digital devices only because of their profiling capacity and not use the internal models at all. I´m sure Cliff could come with an profiling algorithm just as good as QC or Kemper but if you´re not playing the most exotic amps on the planet it´s not really necessary imho.
I also get the argument: "but i record in a studio with real amps and maybe want to punch in later with the same sound, so i profile it" - but then: the profiling i heard was never 1:1 the same sound as well....
I did that a few months ago and didn´t even bother to match - just puttung the knobs the same way:

I was having a conversation with someone about the Quad Cortex vs the Axe FX 3 and the biggest use case for profiling -- guitar pedal rigs.

I was having a conversation with someone about the Quad Cortex vs the Axe FX 3 and the biggest use case for profiling -- guitar pedal rigs.
How many profiles can you run at once? Because you would want to profile each pedal separately for accuracy, and then make some sort of composite or run multiple profiles in series.....I don't see this being more efficient in any way than drag n drop blocks on the Axe though 🤔

I like both. Profiling is an easy way to capture (my) favorite rig. Would love to see that in the AxeIII.

More interested to hear what Cliff's new breakthrough is though.

I personally have no use for profiling. What I do have use for is trying new amp designs, which is why I still build tube amps that I normally model in LTspice first. If I could build new amps in "FASpice", I would truly be dangerous!

I bought a Kemper in 2016 and think it's a great unit in a lot of ways. I've gotten a lot of use out of it, though over the last year I've found myself using the Axe-Fx III about 95% of the time. It's reached a stage where I honestly can't justify keeping the KPA anymore because I virtually never turn it on. That's why I sold it 2 months ago, and while I think it's a great unit for what it is, I haven't regretted the decision.

Last edited:
Imho profiling is not something Cliff would intend to do , or will ever do, regardless of anything else that happens in the competitive market.

Nothing else out there models an amp down to the circuit level and component level. Ease of use or not for people with tube amps or looking to use others amps, What we have on the axe is very very superior to what profiling is meant for.That being said being I personally don't mind profiles on axe 3 if they come because it just adds more utility for a different set of use and if it sounds good

If one really tries to understand more how the various stages of amp work and then use some advanced parameters on the 3 , then there is nothing like it cause you can literally get any sound you want I can get my 6 string sound to sound like a 8/9 string guitar even and with great results .

A lot of people just want to tweak treble bass, mid , gain and mv knobs and compare it to other units out there who barely have anything more than that and then say it all sounds similar, but if you use the axe 3 to its true potential nothing comes close at all.

As someone above said, its not about what you can do physically on amps anymore. Its about the creative madness you can achieve that's not possible on real amps.

heck even if you just wanna tweak bass mids and treble, even then the axe can do wonders because you can change how they react by tweaking the tone stack centre frequency, the freedom of which nothing else has

Last edited:
as this topic Is back from hell,
i am completely pro profiling option in the axe . That’s the only thing I miss from my kemper, not the result , but the fact to mic my amp all the afternoon with tons of mics etc. I love doing profiles, that’s very interesting and entertaining.

Reactions: BBN
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom