Is arrived the time for Axe-Fx III to profile an amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Kemper. It has a great view of the inside of my closet.

An Axe-Fx Tone Match beats a Kemper profile every time, IMHO, with more accurate sound and feel when you A/B against the real thing. Plus, Kemper’s generic gain and EQ doesn’t feel amp-like at all (to me) and it’s a pain to have to create a separate profile just to turn down the bass and gain a single notch or two. With the Fractal, just turn the knob and it works.

It’s exciting to think about how the “amp-matching” concept can improve. A dream would be to have the Axe capture the sweep of our real amp’s knobs or the usable range we’d want, like MV from zero to the sweet spot. But even if that isn’t possible, it’s easy to get really close with tone matching and the amp models we have on hand. Maybe this next step is further refinement. I need to try amp-matching an amp of mine that isn’t in the Axe and see how close it can get with some advanced parameter tweaks. The amp algorithms are all there... it’s just a matter of turning some knobs until the amp and model align.
That reminds me, I need to tone match my Welagen ODS!

I actually didn’t miss your point. In fact, my entire post addresses the differences in how you look for sounds on Kemper and how time consuming it can be, vs something like the Axe.

If you’ve never had a Kemper you have no idea how tedious it is.

I do not talk about how long it takes. I was talking about the goal, not the method. Just read my post.

Last edited:
If you haven’t had a Kemper then maybe it is best not to comment about the workflow. @boyce89976 is absolutely correct. If you want a Fender sound in the Axe, you pull it up and dial it in like you have the real amp in front of you. Too little overdrive? Turn it up right there. On the Kemper if there is too little overdrive you have to find a whole new profile. It would be like carrying in a whole new amp to try it out assuming that every profile is actually done well. As someone who has both it is a big workflow difference. If you have your own amps that you like and you profile them, it makes more sense (and I have made a few profiles of some Axe amp/cabs I like). Add in the POS they call an editor, their whole profiles v performance approach and rude, arrogant staff and it is just no comparison.

I know all that. You just miss my point. Doesn’t matter.

it’s easy to get really close with tone matching and the amp models we have on hand.
That alone makes the AxefX3 such an incredible tool for me, anyway. Along with my original band, I do a couple of tributes. Digging up isolated guitar tracks of the artists and tonematching them with amp models that are in the same ballpark, you can get 95% of the way there. I mean it's incredibly close to the original tone on the recordings. Not sure if you can do that with the Kemper or not, but it's pretty amazing to experience on the Axe. I completely understand most of it is eq matching and baking that into IRs. But it is so easy to do so well on the Axe that it's pretty much an afterthought to do it. I'd never sell my AXE just because of that feature alone.

in the Kemper is very easy to find an awesome profile,just need to find the right vendor and done,there lot of people that love mbritts,tone junkie,big hairy,Gudorist or Bert Profiles and lot of awesome profiles on the RG,do you think for me was easy to find a good sound on the Axefx?well no,i bought lot of presets so in the axefx is time consuming too for new users to find a good sound,after several years with axefx for me is easy to build a great preset,to end with this for me both units are awesome.
Both MBritt and Tone Junkie have profiled some of my personal amps.

Glad you like it. After 2 years with it, the Kemper just wasn’t for me.

in the Kemper is very easy to find an awesome profile,just need to find the right vendor and done,there lot of people that love mbritts,tone junkie,big hairy,Gudorist or Bert Profiles and lot of awesome profiles on the RG,do you think for me was easy to find a good sound on the Axefx?well no,i bought lot of presets so in the axefx is time consuming too for new users to find a good sound,after several years with axefx for me is easy to build a great preset,to end with this for me both units are awesome.
How do you know who the right vendor is? How many vendors do you have to audition to find the right vendor.

As I said, every vendor has their way of capturing profiles, so even the same amp profiled by 5 different vendors sounds different each time.

How do you know who the right vendor is? How many vendors do you have to audition to find the right vendor.

As I said, every vendor has their way of capturing profiles, so even the same amp profiled by 5 different vendors sounds different each time.
I would imagine it’s like IRs. Eventually you find a vendor with whom you resonate, and you can bet with increasing certainty that you’ll like the packs from that vendor.

that is why in the kemper unit we have free profiles from too many vendors,is not that hard to find the right vendors,even in the RE are tons the free profiles or people in the kemper forum that share free profiles.

I would imagine it’s like IRs. Eventually you find a vendor with whom you resonate, and you can bet with increasing certainty that you’ll like the packs from that vendor.
that is why in the kemper unit we have free profiles from too many vendors,is not that hard to find the right vendors,even in the RE are tons the free profiles or people in the kemper forum that share free profiles.
Right, but it's still an auditioning process. That's my point. And we haven't even begun to talk about the expense it involves. Regardless of what your talking about with Kemper... vendors, amp profiles... it's an almost endless auditioning process to find what works for you... unless you get lucky and hit on something right away... but that doesn't happen often, otherwise vendors wouldn't be able to make a living.

Right, but it's still an auditioning process. That's my point. And we haven't even begun to talk about the expense it involves. Regardless of what your talking about with Kemper... vendors, amp profiles... it's an almost endless auditioning process to find what works for you... unless you get lucky and hit on something right away... but that doesn't happen often, otherwise vendors wouldn't be able to make a living.
is the same with the fractal,do you know how much money i spend in presets?you can see how many people sell fractal presets.with kemper is super easy to find a good profile,for people that are new to fractal is not easy to get a sound right away,anyway i prefer the Kemper vs fractal,but to each his own.

is the same with the fractal,do you know how much money i spend in presets?you can see how many people sell fractal presets.with kemper is super easy to find a good profile,for people that are new to fractal is not easy to get a sound right away,anyway i prefer the Kemper vs fractal,but to each his own.
Still not the same. You don’t have to spend money on fractal presets, everything you need to create presets is already there. Fractal gives you all the tools to start making your own presets, Kemper doesn’t.

if Kemper works for you, that’s great, but stop trying to say they are the same when they are not.

Still not the same. You don’t have to spend money on fractal presets, everything you need to create presets is already there. Fractal gives you all the tools to start making your own presets, Kemper doesn’t.
nahhh that is not true.if you say fractal is too easy to make a presets(after some years for me is easy to make a preset)then tell me why people sell fractal presets?do you know who made presets for Neil Schon,Def Leppard,Richard-Hallebeek and John Petrucci?if is this easy to make a fractal preset then why you asked questions in this forum,so no man is not easy to make a good sounding preset on the axefx,and Kemper give you lot of free profiles so also there is not need to buy profiles,i like the Axe 3 but for amp sound i prefer the Kemper.

Last edited:

nahhh that is not true.if you say fractal is too easy to make a presets(after some years for me is easy to make a preset)then tell me why people sell fractal presets?do you know who made presets for Neil Schon,Def Leppard,Richard-Hallebeek and John Petrucci?if is this easy to make a fractal preset then why you asked questions in this forum,so no man is not easy to make a good sounding preset on the axefx,and Kemper give you lot of free profiles so also there is not need to buy profiles,i like the Axe 3 but for amp sound i prefer the Kemper.
So if what I said isn’t true, then the opposite has to be, which means according to you we have to buy fractal presets.

Which, of course is laughable.

I never said Fractal was easy, I simply said all the tools you need are there, included with your purchase, unlike the Kemper, where iconic amps are missing from the free profiles.

So if what I said isn’t true, then the opposite has to be, which means according to you we have to buy fractal presets.

Which, of course is laughable.

I never said Fractal was easy, I simply said all the tools you need are there, included with your purchase, unlike the Kemper, where iconic amps are missing from the free profiles.
most of the fractal people buy presets and im pretty sure you already did or downloaded presets from the Axechange,yes but to learn how to use those tools you need to take your time or buy/download free presets,same with the axefx there are too many amps missing on the unit,anyway play with whatever make you happy.

Coke or Pepsi. The difference being the Coke drinkers here don't go over to the Pepsi forum and tell everyone how much better Coke is.
well that is not true,even in the facebook Kemper groups people talk about Coke(Kemper) and Pepsi(Fractal)anyway like i said before for me both devices are awesome

It would certainly be a cool addition to axe fx if the unit could pick amp parameters automatically and apply IR/and or perform EQ matching on top. I've had cases where I spent a long amount of time trying to match a given amp via the axe fx parameters, ultimately somewhat unsuccessfully. In contrast, in some of these cases, the kemper got me in the ballbark rather quickly, assuming the source tone was all set to go.

That said, in most scenarios I've been able to get very close with axe fx without even EQ matching (part of why I now only use an fm3). The advantages with axe units have also been numerous: from the deep amp parameters, to "more accurate stuff" behind kemper's EQ matching (at least I believe this to be the case for the fractal amp sims, even if EQ matching does replicate much of an amp's feel with kemper + the built parameters the unit seems to have), to not having to shoot profiles that often suited for my pickups, tuning, tasks, to having a more accurate representation of multiple distorting stages.

Ever tried to profile tones with multiple distorting stages in the hardware? If yes, you likely know what I'm talking about. Cocked wah bonanza, drop it down like TS dancah.

But this isn't to say I wouldn't welcome a "profiling" style addition. There are cases where it's useful. Even if you can ultimately nail certain tones anyway, the ability to have the unit come up with a very accurate representation while requiring the least amount of manual labor from the user has a number of applications. Ideally I'd love to see that combined with the ability to tweak an amp model further, more like you would the real amp, even if the controls wouldn't be perfectly accurate to the specific amplifier matched.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom