Is arrived the time for Axe-Fx III to profile an amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not into profiling, hence why I went with axe III over the Kemper. Although, a soul steal would be cool for those looking to clone their exact amp. Something like running your amps signal through the axe fx III, choose the closest model similar to tone marching. Then, it automatically adjusts the advanced parameters so your Marshall's values are now in the Axe's Marshall. That would shut up all the "it doesn't sound exactly the same as the one in my basement" people.

There are too many unknowns for us to really understand what he's talking about. In the meantime, I'm happy as a clam with my III as is.

Also, I'm not sure how someone can tell the emotional state of a clam to begin with but let's just assume that clams are happy as the saying goes.

Yup, people are too hung up on recreating rather than creating. They scrutinize audio clips and say "the model has a little less bass than the real amp". So turn the bass up.
(SNIP)

Totally agree with this. Which is part of why I've struggled a bit with explanations about fizz on some models being "the way the amp sounds." What I appreciate about the amp selections as they are is that I can try out a lot of different amps, and they really DO sound and behave differently. But evolution has made a lot of those tones great, so they serve as part of our collective perception of what makes for a great guitar tone. But every so often I run into one where the base tone is fantastic, but there's that additional amount of fizz or sizzle on top of it that I'd LOVE to be able to dial out, authenticity be damned. And honestly, that's about the only thing that I'd want better control over within the amp block.

I'm not into profiling, hence why I went with axe III over the Kemper. Although, a soul steal would be cool for those looking to clone their exact amp. Something like running your amps signal through the axe fx III, choose the closest model similar to tone marching. Then, it automatically adjusts the advanced parameters so your Marshall's values are now in the Axe's Marshall. That would shut up all the "it doesn't sound exactly the same as the one in my basement" people.
See, I'm all about this! The Axe has phenomenal models in it that are accurate to their physical counterparts... I truly believe that. IF there's a way to have a Fractal device to profile our own amps, that would be a massive game changer. The only amps I kept are ones that aren't available in the Axe, and I recently bought my first tube amp in six years. I've had my eye on a Mesa DC-5 Dual Caliber and found a guy that had two of them. He was kind enough to let me take both of them back to my studio and choose which one I wanted. They are COMPLETELY different. One has a lead channel like a fire-breathing dragon and a very Fendery clean channel. The other one has half the amount of gain on the lead channel and the clean channel is spitty and harsh. It just goes to show how different amps of the same type can be, so being able to profile the amps we love would be incredible. This thread is making me happy and I can't wait to see what's in store for Fractal.

Knowing how a Kemper works, roughly, vs. the Axe FX, and now knowing that Cliff has something up his sleeve, I was going to say that I trust Cliff to be able to be more thorough and accurate than a Kemper's "one size fits all" profiling algorithms. The thing that always sold me on the Axe (and, honestly, I think also gives the Helix a leg up on Kemper) is that the Axe is using component level modeling with algorithms for each component. Add on the stupid amount of processing power and Cliff's ability to "profile" an amp component by component down to the exact tone stack response, I would take the Axe any day. With the Axe I know that every setting I do to it is going to react just like the real amp would, whereas the Kemper runs into limits based on the quality of the profile and the limitations of its type of modeling.

Would I love to be able to have amps like a Fryette Pitbull or Fryette Memphis, or a Bogner Goldfinger? Sure I would, because I own two of those three amps and they're unique and amazing. But I can get pretty close with what's available already by tweaking the amp block settings. I already "mod" the Plexi models to suite my tastes with the saturation control and bright cap (honestly, the bright cap setting is, I think, one of the absolute best tweaks available to us, it's incredibly powerful), and tend to throw EL34s in the Euro models since I don't like the 6L6 versions of the XTC.

My general sense is that if you can't create something amazing using the Axe FX (like MANY artists already are), you're doing it wrong. It's about the music, and the vast majority of listeners aren't going to care if you used a Plexi or a Goldfinger and probably can't tell the difference on a recording anyway. They just care if your music sounds good.

I have something even better. Waiting for my patent approval.

The limit of the Kemper is that a profile is an instant pic of that amp, in that particular setting.
So, I would expect a kind of new type of profiling, that capture all of that amp's behavior.

🙂

You've described Fractal Audio's modeling.

Yes, but I mean profiling my personal amp, that could be
-different in some ways from another amp from the same brand and model (especially vintage ones)
-an amp not present in the Axe III, such could be a SSS, for example.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom