Is arrived the time for Axe-Fx III to profile an amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK, there is no other product that offers profiling like the Kemper. Supposedly TH-U can do that, but the feature is not available to the public. There are plenty of products, including AxeFX, that do tone matching like the Mooer. That's simply an EQ match.
Nope, the new app Mooer Ge Labs actually creates profiles which can be loaded on their pedalboards.

Last edited:
Something even better than profiling you say.. uhm.. 🤔

I'll try to make a guess:
It's a software in which you can draw or load the schematic of an amp or a pedal and it automatically creates the model to load on the axe fx.

PS: and it will be called Amp-Lab or FASpice

Last edited:
Personally, I think the days of mimicing classic tube amps are behind us. It's been done. Let's move on. If that's what you want out of a modeler, fine, you have it. The technology should now be focusing how to enable musicians to create wonderful new sounds that go beyond what can be found in existing tube amps.

What does a new tone sound like? Those indie fuzzes, that sound bad on purpose? Oversaturated djent tones? Use guitars on trap music?

Let’s face it, new guitar tones have been explored extensively over the last 20 years and 90% of those suck.
Having a tool like the Axe-FX III that models the classic from the past as well as modern tones is the best of both worlds.

Oh, and of course this is my view 😉

Personally, I think the days of mimicing classic tube amps are behind us. It's been done. Let's move on. If that's what you want out of a modeler, fine, you have it. The technology should now be focusing how to enable musicians to create wonderful new sounds that go beyond what can be found in existing tube amps.
Very well said!

I don’t have much use for a profiler. I think if it were a feature in the III, I’d maybe check it out for shits and giggles but I get the idea that profiles are similar to IR’s in the sense that you spend more time searching for the right one than you do using it. I’d rather spend that time making a new or adjusting a preset to get what I’m going for.

I actually dig the fact that you can take a standard, popular amp and tweak it past the point of it’s original/intended sound. When I’m making presets in the III, rarely am I thinking “I need this to have that classic Recto sound”, I just use the amp as a base for what I’m after and tweak until it works with what I’m using it for. I think profiles would just be a novelty to me, but I can see how other people would find them handy.

Something even better than profiling you say.. uhm.. 🤔

I'll try to make a guess:
It's a software in which you can draw or load the schematic of an amp or a pedal and it automatically creates the model to load on the axe fx.

PS: and it will be called Amp-Lab or FASpice

That was my guess. Something that moves beyond the concept of modeling real amps and fully embraces amps that are "hyper-real" as Misha Mansoor would put it. My guess is this will be in a firmware update to the III but perhaps a standalone product as well. Cliff has hinted at there being more Ares-based products so there might be some other hardware in the pipeline.

Almost certainly. I hope homeboy is cool with you outing that, then again I have to imagine he knew someone would find that pretty quickly. Maybe that's his way of building hype for a product. If so, it's working.

had to search off home town as Cliff was not coming up, it was using his full name Clifford. It's public information, and amazes me it's been 5 years and still not approved. Man they move at the speed of snail there.

This is interesting "A further aspect of the disclosure provides a method of manufacturing a simulation device"

This too "Using the above-described techniques, a user may model the sound of a desired amplifier so closely that the difference is indistinguishable to a human ear. By determining the input equalization and by modeling various characteristics of the DUT, filtering an input signal using the corrected model may produce a nearly identical sound to playing through the DUT. " DUT = Device Under Test.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom