Is anyone using their AxeIII just for effects?? And is it overkill?!

Orvillain

Power User
I'm getting heavy heavy vibes for using my AxeIII just for effects, either in 4-cm with my Diezel VH4, or in 4-cable method.... or some sort of mega OTT rig where it's VH4 and JVM in a stereo rig, with both amps being controlled by midi. I have an FC12 as well, but haven't really set it up for anything yet.

Thoughts? What are the pitfalls of such a setup apart from a broken spine?

I used the Ultra just for effects in front of two old Vox AC30ties and was very satisfied with that setup. The Ultra replaced a heavy effects-rig and made my life much easier. However, since the Axe II/III I also got rid of the amps without any regrets.

Well, it depends what I'm doing, but I use my AF3 as a fully featured rig for my church gig- everything in the box. But at home, 90% of the time, I use it for effects only running into real amps. It's currently in the music room with Output 1 connected to a Swart SST-30, and Output 4 connected to a Swart Stereo Master 20. The beauty of the whole thing is that you can then set up whole rigs with just a preset- I have a preset that's effects only for the SST in mono, another preset that's for the Stereo Master 20 which is in stereo, and I have a third preset that uses both amps at the same time in a w/d/w rig, and it honestly couldn't be easier. I have a few decent pedals sitting around, but to be honest, the effects in the Axe sound just as good, and often better- much less noise, no weird impedance issues, etc.

I've also run it using the four cable method with my Carol Ann Tucana 3- works great. I just wish there was a way to control the amp's switching via midi (there was a box made for this, but Alan Philips shut down the business and hasn't made them any longer). No complaints on the sound quality though- just make sure you're using hum buster cables.

So yea, it works great as an effects unit only. I don't think there are really any downsides if you prefer using real amps.

Edit: I should say 90% of the time at home when I'm playing loud- plenty of times I end up practicing silently on the Axe only using headphones. For the record, the amps in the Axe 100% hold up to the real amps.

Our stuff is super effects heavy:

And I'm getting more and more complicated as each album goes on! I need quite a bit of control to play our latest album. I think the Axe is up to it. I definitely need a couple of really good expression pedals!

I'm very keen on the FM9 when G66 start shipping them. I'm on the waiting list.

I play guitar through it too of course, but I also use it as a dedicated effects processor for synths and studio stuff. Has amazing reverbs etc, and flexible enough to set up a couple of signal chains through my mixers AUX sends.

Pretty much on par with any high end outboard gear, and also is amazing for guitar tones lol

Ive got a gig on the 28th.... and one rehearsal on the 23rd..... and I'm moving house on the 26th....

.... dare I make the switch....... !!

Our stuff is super effects heavy:

And I'm getting more and more complicated as each album goes on! I need quite a bit of control to play our latest album. I think the Axe is up to it. I definitely need a couple of really good expression pedals!

I'm very keen on the FM9 when G66 start shipping them. I'm on the waiting list.

I can't help you make a decision but I just wanted to say I'm really enjoying listening to this album, excellent work! I had to see what a band with that name sounded like..... I live in Seattle and drive over that bridge all the time. The one(s) still standing that is. :cool:

I can't help you make a decision but I just wanted to say I'm really enjoying listening to this album, excellent work! I had to see what a band with that name sounded like..... I live in Seattle and drive over that bridge all the time. The one(s) still standing that is. :cool:
Thanks a lot!

Funnily enough, quite often people from Seattle will checkout the band because of the name. We even had a group come and see us randomly here in London one year when they were travelling, because they saw the name and thought it was hilarious. They became fans! They told me that Tacoma stinks; so now we have a band in-joke about the "aroma of Tacoma".

Thanks a lot!

Funnily enough, quite often people from Seattle will checkout the band because of the name. We even had a group come and see us randomly here in London one year when they were travelling, because they saw the name and thought it was hilarious. They became fans! They told me that Tacoma stinks; so now we have a band in-joke about the "aroma of Tacoma".
Oh yeah, the Tacoma Aroma is legendary. Depends on the day how bad it is but you get used to it! It was much worse in the past, I'm told by the natives. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroma_of_Tacoma

Not understanding the idea of any device or piece of gear regarded as overkill if it provides what you want and need for your tone. Does it do more than 'just' effects, absolutely. Is it a waste if you don't use anything other than the effects? Absolutely not.

I don't use two amps or more than a handful of effects. Does that mean the Axe III is overkill for me? I was able and willing to spend the money on it and in no way do I feel like I'm not using it to its 'potential'. It has served my purposes so I got my money's worth.

I used to use my Helix Floor as an fx only/control board for running into two real amps and guitar cabs and it worked great for that. The FM9 should do that very nicely as well if you want to stick with Fractal.

But if you already own an Axe-Fx 3 and FC12, then I'd probably instead buy a nice stereo poweramp and combine its modeling prowess with real guitar cabs, considering both your amps are modeled in the Axe-Fx 3. That would simplify the setup a ton because managing two real amps with MIDI plus all the cables needed quickly gets quite complicated.

If you wanted to try it, you’d be in pretty good company. Some of the best known endorsers are using the Axe Fx in exactly the way you describe. Overkill? Maybe… if all you need is a drive pedal or a wah. I’d think about it like your clothes closet instead. It’s overkill for one day, but there is huge advantage in having clothes for all seasons and activities. I think of it more in that way, and it’s just what I need.

On the change timing, I wouldn’t do it right ahead of a gig. It sounds as if your schedule is pretty full at the moment. Go ahead and start working on some presets for the new setup that work as you want, and test it in the interim. A rehearsal or two, and you’ll be ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom