Is anyone using the FM3 for effects only? How are you liking it.

I get that it's nice to make kitchen sink presets for every effect you might want. Do you need Phaser, Chorus and Rotary all at the same time? I use different presets with different combinations of modulation effects in the preset. There's never been a case where I need (or wanted) to turn on two of those at once.

My primary use of the FM3 is at church with IEM. But, I have tried it a few times both straight into the front of the amp ('62 Deluxe) and in 4 cable method (Redplate Blues Machine 66). No amp or cab block in the presets.

A few observations:
  1. Since one of the CPU cores is dedicated to the amp modeling and delays, you cannot get any more effects blocks into an effects-only preset than you can with the amp and cab in the preset.
  2. I'm not 100% sold on the drive block. Still prefer the sound from my drive pedals. I need to revisit this, but I prefer my real King of Tone and Nobels ODR-1 over the drive block.
  3. I'm not a big fan of Fuzz, but there has been lots of discussion about the FM3 input impedance in relation to the Fuzz models. Do a search if you are planning to use one of the Fuzz drive blocks
  4. There is some noise and coloration. Nothing to get too excited about, especially in the context of a band. But it is worth mentioning that the FM3 is not totally transparent
  5. Reverb, delays, modulation effects all sound great, as you would expect, when used with an amp.
  6. The recent changes to the I/O settings for input and output make it really easy to get your levels set correctly for 4 cable method
I agree with all of this though I haven't had issues with noise or sound coloration. Personally I like the Line6 Helix Floor better for effects only use but its reverbs and modulation are not as good as Fractal's. I prefer Helix drive pedals tho and it's a lot simpler to use from the hardware itself and having more effects loops helps. It is quite large tho so it's more of a pedalboard in itself. A HX Stomp would be more appropriate for a pedalboard.

FM3 would be worth it to me mainly if you plan to build around its amp modeling and just augment what it can do with your favorite pedals.

There is some noise and coloration. Nothing to get too excited about, especially in the context of a band. But it is worth mentioning that the FM3 is not totally transparent

Anyone every considered running the FM3 in a true bypass loop switcher to avoid this if/when not using it's effects? I'm thinking about using my FM3 as a sort modern, ultra-capable jack of all trades multi-effects unit (like an improved H9 I guess). Being able to switch it out of the path as needed would be ideal (especially though midi) but not cheap either...

Last edited:
I get that it's nice to make kitchen sink presets for every effect you might want. Do you need Phaser, Chorus and Rotary all at the same time? I use different presets with different combinations of modulation effects in the preset. There's never been a case where I need (or wanted) to turn on two of those at once.

This. So much this. :)

Ok, I completely misremembered my patch. It actually has:

compressor
Phaser
Chorus
2x drive
Delay
Plex delay
Rotary

so, the rotary was actually in there and I have a plex delay and a redundant drive pedal to boot.

it must have been when I had a reverb instead of the plex delay that I maxed out.

sorry for the misinformation. I nuked that extra drive and I have plenty of headroom.

And, I think you'll see a few sales from the Portland, OR area - folks very interested in what I've got going on.

Back
Top Bottom