Is anyone postponing recording until 10.00?

Jack White called and said that all you need is a cassette recorder, 2 thumb tacks and some dental floss to make a platinum record as long as you play with feeling. After all, a guitar is just gear.

I don't have a choice.
Waiting for my custom guitar to arrive in early March.
I don't have an electric these days. Missed playing a bunch of updates but tried them out with my semi acoustic guitar,and loved the sounds.
Hopefully my new guitar can be graced with version 10 or who knows by then version 11 :p

I'm waiting until 12.03.

Why anyone would wait for a .02% improvement on something that is already 99% of the way there is beyond me. All you will succeed in doing is create stress due to having less time to do overdubs.

Keep in mind that you may not even gel with 10.0! This happens every time with many people on here with new "updates", so what's the point of waiting and hoping that it will sound "more realer" to you this time. There will also be many more updates to come if you want to keep chasing your tail!

I can guarantee it won't be the guitar tones that will make or break your songs, it will be your songwriting. Obsess on that instead!

I have actually put my Axe in mothballs pending new Axe Edit and FW. I'm still on 7 and have been waiting all these months for AE to upgrade. For me, the reasons are 3-fold:

1.) I use Axe Edit heavily to do everything. Could I use front panel? Yes, but don't have the time to deal with it. AE was one of the primary reasons I bought the Axe because it made my workflow easy.

2.) I do not want to invest hours and hours tweaking presets in 7, 8, 9 only to have to do it all again (with scenes which I am super-excited for!) with whatever FW we have soon

3.) I have never been an "Axe only" guy. I have a lot of nice amps and still believe that they are, generally, better than the Axe's renditions of them (although I must admit missing the EFX and ease with which they are used in AE). I love my amps. But, I love my Axe too for the amazing flexibilty it gives me w/o lugging 500# of amps/ cabs/ EFX around.

So, I'm on "Axe Sabbatical", back to using my amps. When AE comes out and we have new FW to match, I'll spend the hours to do what the Axe does best and I'll be super happy. But, I'm super happy now too :razz. I don't see any sense in spending time doing a ton of work on 7.0. However, I am not upset at all with Fractal and happy to wait for all the exciting new changes we are about to see.

Jack White called and said that all you need is a cassette recorder, 2 thumb tacks and some dental floss to make a platinum record as long as you play with feeling. After all, a guitar is just gear.

Whether you believe it or not...Jack White is right for the most part. Great gear can add accents, but in the end, many of the great songs ever recorded were done with what most would have considered 'sub-par' gear. A slight change in tone is not going to send a song from 'just okay' to 'great'.

IMO IMO IMO, waiting for a FW update to record an album is focusing on the wrong thing. It should be about the songs, and not that small difference you might experience in 10.x. It may work for you better, it might not. Focus should be on songcraft and making it your own.

And isn't this what reamping is for in the 1st place?

Whether you believe it or not...Jack White is right for the most part. Great gear can add accents, but in the end, many of the great songs ever recorded were done with what most would have considered 'sub-par' gear. A slight change in tone is not going to send a song from 'just okay' to 'great'.

Truth.

Reel to Reel in a basement:

IMO IMO IMO, waiting for a FW update to record an album is focusing on the wrong thing. It should be about the songs, and not that small difference you might experience in 10.x. It may work for you better, it might not. Focus should be on songcraft and making it your own.

And isn't this what reamping is for in the 1st place?

I agree with you for the most part.

However, music is also about finding new avenues that have never been explored. The AXE FX II is making that happen.

We shouldn't be saying that it's a bad thing for someone to wait for FW10.

On the contrary, even a .02% difference in the sound can make all the difference.

Actually, I thought the thing sounded friggin' awesome the moment I took it out of the box and hooked it up over a year ago with firmware 1.02 on it.

Cheers,
Benji

Last edited:
Yes. And yes. Gear is good, but music doesn't need it to be great. HOWEVER, my back (and mind) need Axe Edit to get all the good I can get out of my AxeFxII because it's much easier to program presets with the software than it is with the hardware. Please don't disagree. Come on, we've had this battle. It's our little Fractal Audio version of the tube/solid state thing. We're solid state guys (and girls - trust me, I'm no disser of girls). Yes, you own twelve hundred tube amps and your father built 40% of them - but your here, in this domain. I'm not saying you like bondage and farm animals. I'm just saying you like this modern marvel we call the Axe Fx II - and that S.O.B. is easier to use with the same keyboard and mouse we post cat pictures and control our DAW with than ABCD and Value knobs. Shit. I bet I just cost us 3 weeks without the new damn Axe-Edit.

No, i'm cool with V7

It's great to have the possibility to choose between versions. I hope that continues with 10

The premise of the OP is kinda funny... Some of the best music was made with the shittiest gear. If our inspiration is dictated solely by tech, we've lost the most essential fundamental in music [or any art for that matter] which is passion. If I was forced to wait for firmware upgrades in order to lay down tracks, I think I'd be the first to say f*ck it and get sorted with a champ and a pig-nose and call it a day.

it's All good if you want to wait for ver 11 orplay with yourself a guitar pluged into your laptop we all know the AxeFx2 is the best guitar rig on the planet

I have actually put my Axe in mothballs pending new Axe Edit and FW. I'm still on 7 and have been waiting all these months for AE to upgrade. For me, the reasons are 3-fold:

1.) I use Axe Edit heavily to do everything. Could I use front panel? Yes, but don't have the time to deal with it. AE was one of the primary reasons I bought the Axe because it made my workflow easy.

2.) I do not want to invest hours and hours tweaking presets in 7, 8, 9 only to have to do it all again (with scenes which I am super-excited for!) with whatever FW we have soon

3.) I have never been an "Axe only" guy. I have a lot of nice amps and still believe that they are, generally, better than the Axe's renditions of them (although I must admit missing the EFX and ease with which they are used in AE). I love my amps. But, I love my Axe too for the amazing flexibilty it gives me w/o lugging 500# of amps/ cabs/ EFX around.

So, I'm on "Axe Sabbatical", back to using my amps. When AE comes out and we have new FW to match, I'll spend the hours to do what the Axe does best and I'll be super happy. But, I'm super happy now too :razz. I don't see any sense in spending time doing a ton of work on 7.0. However, I am not upset at all with Fractal and happy to wait for all the exciting new changes we are about to see.

Pretty much my situation as well but not so much about the FW and DEFINATELY about Axe Edit.

Back
Top Bottom