Is anyone here actually using the same patches for studio AND live use?

Back when we were paying $500/hr for studio time recording dry made sense, especially considering most guitarists efx were junk and inline prior to their amplifier.

I use different patches for studio and live use. In studio you cannot get enough modulation to make the sound like what is in your imagination. But live is different - completely, at least for those playing in 70s to 80s rock bands.

This being said, first of all switch off all reverb and delay and all the other fancy stuff the Axe provides (and which is useful for studio use). Live you need to cut through the din and make your point by the colour and directness of your tone - not by heavily delayed and reverbed distorted tones. Next get in some low cut - the lower frequencies are delivered by the bassman, and you wouldn't want to end up not being heard once bass guitar and bass drum start playing. Last dial in some midrange boost and cut back deftly on your gain, unless you are able to build your live patches at live volumes (this is due to Fletcher-Munson).

This way your Axe will rock and so will you and the audience IMHO.

Thank you all for your input. I'm don't have the time or patience to start mixing IRs at this point, but I'll keep working at it. I have a pair of power engines I got really cheap and I like how they sound loud. Let's see how they work with the axe.

Back
Top Bottom