Is anyone here actually using the same patches for studio AND live use?

ari

Inspired
I don't know why , but I can get beautiful tone at home, but even with all the discussed mid-boosts, going FRFR, direct to pa, or power amp with cabs, I'm just not there if there's any gain involved. Cleans are beautiful live also, but all the gain sounds just sound too similar once volume gets high. What's more is yet every sound man in my circuit can't seem to get a good sound out of my direct signal. I've put up clips, thrilled with recording with this box, but still doesn't translate in any love capacity. Help? Feedback?

IMHO, it's all in the IR. Truly.

I use the same presets for studio and live. In my book, good tone is good tone. My gain sounds are pretty similar due to my taste and the way I dial them to match said taste; but I use different cab IR's to truly differentiate and define them between amps.

If you follow my IR Secrets thread at all, you can see what I am up to. There are also good things coming from various sources soon that will be very exciting for adding lots of color and character to your tones via new IR's.

I will check out your thread Scott, thanks. I hear your stance, but I sent clips to my sound men and said "why the heck can't I hear THIS tone from the Pa?" Guys using Presonus, Midas, and high end souncraft boards. Also through my various powered monitors, same problem ones I crank the volume. I also lower the gain as needed and boost the mids.

Are there any mixes that I can purchase or do I need IR bundles and the VST plugin? Cool stuff Scott!

How about posting a clip of one of your tones, ari?

In my experience, tightly controlling your highs (my definition: 2.5k and up) makes a huge difference for live work. Too much of those presense frequencies will not allow you to set in the mix right. It is important to have this set right both pre-poweramp and post. In other words, if you crank the treble on the amp control too high it (depending on the amp) will sound like crap no matter how you EQ after the amp.

How about posting a clip of one of your tones, ari?

In my experience, tightly controlling your highs (my definition: 2.5k and up) makes a huge difference for live work. Too much of those presense frequencies will not allow you to set in the mix right. It is important to have this set right both pre-poweramp and post. In other words, if you crank the treble on the amp control too high it (depending on the amp) will sound like crap no matter how you EQ after the amp.

If you search my name in the recordings forum you'll find em, thank u

I don't use the same presets

my live presets are multi-functional in a way that aids performance

in the studio I don't need all this functionality and don't want to record with the ambient fx etc...
so my studio presets are far more simple
1 amp into a mono hires cab and that's all

another lil' thing to note is that live I want a good 'feeling' from the preset..
studio it does not matter..
I record my guitar dry but monitor via my live presets [cos they feel nice]
but when I reamp, I don't need that 'feeling' and so I can get away with less gain
the result is that my studio presets record nice, but are not exactly fun to play [which is cool cos I never actually play them]

I build my tones in the studio, then save and use the same presets live so it sounds like the album. One of my favorite things about the FX. Once in a while the live preset needs some small adjustment, but hardly a major tweaking. I do have a few IA's assigned to effects so I have some variety when playing live, but generally, the type of music we do (prog) requires a very specific sound for each part of each song. We only have a few "jam" spots in our program.

I use a wireless rig, so during sound check, I go out and carefully listen to my guitar in the FOH.

im using more or less the same patches live and in the studio.

in the studio im not using any reverbs/choruses/delays for my standard sounds. only for the more FX heavy sounds im using the built in FX. also im reamping all of my tracks with different cab and mic combinations (up to 5 per guitar track) so thats live not possible too (if really need i can use 4 cabs live too but most of the time its down to 2). amp settings stay the same live/studio

I use the same patches - but Im different to the others here.

I use amp/cab live, and my patches are create for this. I send the OP to the FX Send (so OP 2) in my patches. I then have (after the feed to OP 2) a cab block and a PEQ block. I use these for my recorded tone. Mostly i dont need the PEQ though. Selecting the right cabs (I use stereo cabs) and mics, with proximity usually gets me there. If I do need a littel EQ help - I use the PEQ to do so.

in fact, I have tended to record after selecting suitable cabs but with no PEQ, then when I mix - Ill use a PEQ in the DAW to make it sit better if needed. I then go back to my patch and add the PEQ settings I used for the mix 9if there were any) in the post cab PEQ. Next time I record using that patch its pretty spot on.

I don't use the same presets for the simple fact that I do a lot of reamping and if I was to try to use the live presets the Axe crackles like a bastard.

My reamping presets are all under 60% CPU.
I also re-amp without delay/reverb.

I like more gain, more low end and more reverb when playing quietly. The most noticeable issue when I crank up is the bass. I like to leave plenty of sonic spectrum for the kick and bass guitar. So I have copies of all my patches for live use. But I only use 5 patches live (5 amps across the bottom of the MFC), so it's pretty easy to maintain.

I have a separate set of patches for playing thu my monitors/recording
and for going thru my mesa 50/50 ->out to my guitar cabs
I add quite a bit of eqing to my "cab" patches to overcome the coloring of the Mesa and the V30's (unless I target the patch for V30's).
I agree with Scott the IR makes a huge differnce when recording ro going FRFR. I will create a patch for a specific amp that way first,
and then try to recreate it without a speaker cab IR thru my Mesa and just use some EQing to try and match it as close as possible.
sometimes it workks great , sometimes ........not so good LOL!

I have a separate set of patches for playing thu my monitors/recording
and for going thru my mesa 50/50 ->out to my guitar cabs
I add quite a bit of eqing to my "cab" patches to overcome the coloring of the Mesa and the V30's (unless I target the patch for V30's).
I agree with Scott the IR makes a huge differnce when recording ro going FRFR. I will create a patch for a specific amp that way first,
and then try to recreate it without a speaker cab IR thru my Mesa and just use some EQing to try and match it as close as possible.
sometimes it workks great , sometimes ........not so good LOL!
Ari I'll try and get you those pateches tonight (I hope Axe Edit doesn't kill them if I need to export them)

I actually forgot to mention that I have three sets of presets

1 - "Studio": these are for practice and replicate my live presets. I give all these presets an 'ST' suffix in the name so that I can tell them from the others
2 - "Live": these are the same as my 'ST' series presets in every way. The only difference is that they've been tweaked for high volume usage and EQ'd to my backline.
this 'tweaking' generally means taming gain, extreme high and low EQ bands, and softening reverbs / delays.
these presets have an 'LV' suffix.
also, the equivalent ST and LV presets appear on the same switches on the MFC, but on the MFC bank above
so...
preset 1 = Riff/Solo1ST3. MFC switch 1
preset 2 = Riff/Solo2ST3. MFC switch 2

bank up on the MFC and you'll find
preset 11 = Riff/Solo1LV3. MFC switch 1
preset 12 = Riff/Solo2LV3. MFC switch 2

3 - "recording": just 1 amp / 1 cab and are only used for reamping
these presets are normally stashed in a specific preset folder
also, these presets are band / project specific so the band name takes part of the preset's name [so I know which collection of presets go together
for example:
DC Band presets
- DCRiffLft
- DCRiffRgt
- DCClean
- DCSolo1
etc

Civilians presets
- CivClnFunk
- CivDtyFunk
- CivSolo1
- CivRiffLft
- CivRiffRgt
etc
Note: should I ever get out and gig with this band, I'd create a specific series of ST and LV presets for them
it's not like I'm gonna run out of space in the Axe is it... lol..
seriously though... a good naming convention and makes it real easy to know what you need and what you used in the past..

I use the same live and in studio, but I put an EQ curve on my output for sending to the PA, which rolls off the highs and lows a bit to counter the increased volume.. AND just reading this thread made me realize why i hated my tone at my last gig...i forgot to set my EQ on my output....ugh, way to trebly, haha 2 weeks after the show, still upset with my tone...and finally figured it out.

Back
Top Bottom