Is an Axe fx really for me?

Veldar

Hey guys,

So I'm a bassist with a fetishist for effects. I had a pedalboard so big it was larger than my 6 string bass case, if I had the cash I'd be like Juan from the mars volta, running 3 giant pedalboards and one on top of my amp.

At the same time I hate tap dancing to get sounds, when playing post rock it's fine but when I'm jumping from extremely different tones in one song it becomes a problem.

The only solution I've found is the axe 2, seems to be the only device capable of everything I want/need out of an effects processor.

Clean mixing, crossovers & an advanced inner routing system that seems perfect for crazy routing plans that would require 3 extra pedals to achieve with a real pedal setup.

However I haven't seen anyone demonstrate or talk in depth about it's handling of this area, yes the amp/cab sims are great but I wouldn't need them.

So if anyone who loves to max out the dsp with effects could post some of their thoughts the subject I'd love to hear it or even a demonstration of every different effect since it's a lot of cash to drop while being in the blue as far as specific effect tones.

Cheers, Sam.

I'm of the opinion that if you're not going to be running an amp + cab block, that you will have a boatload more CPU to dedicate to effects. I think it might be up your alley. You may also want to consider that even if it can't do everything for you, that it will streamline the whole tap dancing fiasco (which was one of the major selling points for me) and that you can still have a small / medium board of esoteric effects that you can't get as easily with the Axe (I'm doing this as well).

I went from using vintage Hiwatts, Marshalls and Oranges + huge pedal boards (fellow post rocker / noise / etc. player here) to the Axe and I haven't regretted it.

Would you be able to give an example of the kinds of effects you would be using?

There are some great bassist around here.
Maybe @SeeD or @Selta can chime in and give you some advices.

I've already annoyed selta with questions on talkbass haha.

I'm of the opinion that if you're not going to be running an amp + cab block, that you will have a boatload more CPU to dedicate to effects. I think it might be up your alley. You may also want to consider that even if it can't do everything for you, that it will streamline the whole tap dancing fiasco (which was one of the major selling points for me) and that you can still have a small / medium board of esoteric effects that you can't get as easily with the Axe (I'm doing this as well).

I went from using vintage Hiwatts, Marshalls and Oranges + huge pedal boards (fellow post rocker / noise / etc. player here) to the Axe and I haven't regretted it.

Would you be able to give an example of the kinds of effects you would be using?

Goof to hear about the tap dancing, I'll be using it with my Aguilar head & cab.

Crossover dirt, bit crusher, chorus with little 'verb alla jeff caxide, analogue delay to regenerate, limiter after so it doesn't blow the output, synth block, flanger, ring mod, digital delay, reverse delay, insane echo reverb for ethereal sounds & the looper at the end for DL 4 loop tricks, like Battles & minus the bear.

And a vocoder, volume pedal, wah & pitch shifter in the chain as well :D

I'm of the opinion that if you're not going to be running an amp + cab block, that you will have a boatload more CPU to dedicate to effects.

I'm pretty sure that the amps run on a dedicated CPU so not using them won't free up any CPU cycles for more FX. Cab blocks will free up a bit.

Have you considered the FX8? Not as many routing possibilities I know.

Not saying the Axe isn't for you but it's the amps that get most of the attention and not using them seems kind of a waste!

I'm pretty sure that the amps run on a dedicated CPU so not using them won't free up any CPU cycles for more FX. Cab blocks will free up a bit.

Have you considered the FX8? Not as many routing possibilities I know.

Not saying the Axe isn't for you but it's the amps that get most of the attention and not using them seems kind of a waste!

My bad for the misinformation!

I've already annoyed selta with questions on talkbass haha.

Goof to hear about the tap dancing, I'll be using it with my Aguilar head & cab.

Crossover dirt, bit crusher, chorus with little 'verb alla jeff caxide, analogue delay to regenerate, limiter after so it doesn't blow the output, synth block, flanger, ring mod, digital delay, reverse delay, insane echo reverb for ethereal sounds & the looper at the end for DL 4 loop tricks, like Battles & minus the bear.

And a vocoder, volume pedal, wah & pitch shifter in the chain as well :D

lol damn. So if Jeff Caxide and Brian Cook had a baby

I'll come back and chime in when I get to work. Veldar, no worries on asking questions - it's what forums are for, and when dropping coin on new gear it is always best to make sure it's not going to waste!

Get a used Gen1 unit or FX8 if you do not care about amp modeling and do not have money to burn. IMHO. The FX and flexibility have been insane from day one on the Fractal products.

If you're not interested in the amp and cab sims, I would think the FX8 would suit your needs. It's basically for those whose primary interest is in Fractal's effects.

I recommend the AxeFxII, even if you don't plan on using the Amp or Cab block...though you may find them useful as alternatives for additional or other unconventional fx programming. Tonally, a custom TONE MATCH, converted to an IR, would be used in the CAB block, for example.

I got into the AxeFx Ultra years ago when I was bassist in a TOOL tribute band. With no interest in accumulating a direct copy of JC's floor pedals and entire rig, I went from a multitude of rack units and pedals to a MIDI controller (FCB1010) and the AxeFx Ultra..never looked back. The AxeFxII offers even more flexibility with Scenes and Scene controllers. Hands down, no brainer. No equal in a single rack unit IMHO.

@Veldar, fire away with questions about routing possibilities, crazy sound creations, and using a MIDI pedal board for maximum control over sounds with minimum tap dancing. @simeon is also a major league guru when it comes to this stuff. Also @clarky , among many others here.

Go with the Axe II, the FX8 can't run as many effects (simultaneously) and doesn't have as many effects.

And a vocoder, volume pedal, wah & pitch shifter in the chain as well

the axe has a bit crusher (degrader?) and all the other effects you mention here.

I might be able to offer a bit of insight. I switched from a four-foot long seventy pound pedalboard to an AFX in a 2U case plus a LF+ Pro+.

The short answer is: No, the AFX II XL+ does not have enough horsepower (or algorithms) to duplicate every pedal on my former board, or even many of the useful combinations of all of those pedals.

That said, I've adapted to the limitations of the AFX. I like the sounds that I can get, and the size/weight reduction is a huge win.

Some of the FX that I can't replicate, at least not to the full capability of the originals: EHX B9, EHX Superego, and Boomerang III. I have (somewhat limited) replacements for all in my AFX, so can do similar things. I miss the near-flawless tracking of the B9, the glissando and stacking features of the Superego, and the longer multiple loops of the Boomerang. But limitations can inspire new approaches to improv, so that's kind of a wash...

My big board stacked delays and reverbs the same way that a lot of guitarists stack dirt boxes. I'm talking something like seven or eight different delay and reverb effects. There's no way to squeeze all of these into the same AFX patch due to CPU limitations. The EQD Afterneath is different enough from the AFX built-in delays that I haven't bothered trying to reproduce the effect in the AFX. But again: what the AFX *does* have on tap has been enough to satisfy my needs.

Answers in-line:
Hey guys,

So I'm a bassist with a fetishist for effects. I had a pedalboard so big it was larger than my 6 string bass case, if I had the cash I'd be like Juan from the mars volta, running 3 giant pedalboards and one on top of my amp.

At the same time I hate tap dancing to get sounds, when playing post rock it's fine but when I'm jumping from extremely different tones in one song it becomes a problem.

Sounds like the exact reason I really started looking at Axe-Fx units as well. I don't do post-rock, but I do theatre and heavy metal where having a huge variety of tones and an easy method of switching is paramount.

The only solution I've found is the axe 2, seems to be the only device capable of everything I want/need out of an effects processor.

There are other options out there. In particular, the Helix which seems to be more willing and open to adding in bass-centric "stuff". It's worth at least looking into.

Clean mixing, crossovers & an advanced inner routing system that seems perfect for crazy routing plans that would require 3 extra pedals to achieve with a real pedal setup.

However I haven't seen anyone demonstrate or talk in depth about it's handling of this area, yes the amp/cab sims are great but I wouldn't need them.

I'm not certain I follow you here. Basically, you have a 4x12 grid of blocks which you can interconnect around with shunts. I think you viewed my on-going thread on TalkBass where I have a few screenshots and such. Granted, some of the screenshots are from old hardware and are simple setups, but it gives you the basic idea which you can build from.
http://www.talkbass.com/threads/fra...deas-and-use-input-welcome-long-read.1100464/

So if anyone who loves to max out the dsp with effects could post some of their thoughts the subject I'd love to hear it or even a demonstration of every different effect since it's a lot of cash to drop while being in the blue as far as specific effect tones.

Cheers, Sam.

I have quite a few presets that max out the DSP. I also find that I still have some pedals and gear that the Axe-Fx just won't do. If you like the SansAmp RPM or RBI tone, no way to get it. If you like B3K, B7K, VMT or pretty much any of the great bass pedals, they're not in here (though you will get reasonably close with what IS in there, it's not the exact same). If you want the Gallien Kruger tone, you have a lot of work ahead of you. I could go on and on. As great as the Axe-Fx is, especially for guitars, it's missing a lot of key pieces for bass. IMO, it's likely the best option we have for this kind of unit, though (I am still waiting for a cheap Helix to pop up to compare directly myself). If FAS decides some day to step up their game and add in more bass "stuff", it'll be wonderful. But I stopped asking and hoping for that to happen.

You *will* be in the blue, especially as a bassist. On these forums, you'll be told it's "good enough" and to stop complaining frequently. You'll have to spend a lot of time exploring and tweaking on your own. Several of us are active here on the forum (specifically the bass subforum), and I'm very active on TalkBass. I'll gladly help as much as I can, especially if you can ask specific questions. I'd advocate getting a used one and just going at it - put everything else away and just use the axe-fx for a few rehearsals and gigs.

I personally recommend starting with everything except a cab in your presets. Even if you're using a real amp with the Axe-Fx, I'd recommend using an amp block and running into the FX return for the real amp instead.

I actually ran an FX8 into my Axe-Fx II for a bit. It was ridiculous overkill. I am on the waitlist for the AX8 now as well, which will be a portable rig, but also at times be used in front of my Axe-Fx II as well. Just to give you an idea of how crazy my own setup can get. :)

Hey guys,

Cheers, Sam.
Yes.

Not a bass player, but am a heavy effects user myself.

The thing about the Axe FX is while you get access to all these effects and all their settings, you have to realize that many of these famous pedals are multiple effects working together to create what they do. It's no easy task to recreate, and some are just not possible.

@Veldar, fire away with questions about routing possibilities, crazy sound creations, and using a MIDI pedal board for maximum control over sounds with minimum tap dancing. @simeon is also a major league guru when it comes to this stuff. Also @clarky , among many others here.

Thank you very much, so here it goes

Pitch block (set to whammy w/ exp) - crossover(lows clean) }
(mids/highs) - amp sim for dirty tones } - bit crusher split out to the 3 modulation blocks)

- { flanger - }
- { vibarto - } - volume pedal - vibrato - [to A delay]
- { chorus - }

- analogue delay - limiter - digital delay - reverb - looper
vocoder (into A delay)

Hope that makes sense, can a cab impulse be used as a sudo reverb at all? might help with cpu as well, shame I can't fit an effect loop in this chain for crystal delays :)

The short answer is: No, the AFX II XL+ does not have enough horsepower (or algorithms) to duplicate every pedal on my former board, or even many of the useful combinations of all of those pedals.

Well that kinda sucks, many I'll be lucky and get away with how many I want.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom