Is 'Amp Trim' the same as Global Amp Gain?

Inspired
I've got my guitar teched now and decided, well, let's now start playing along with some backing tracks. Was going o.k. until I selected the 'Euro Red' preset, it didn't sound very good last night along with the track. Today I experimented: I found if I lowered the 'input trim' on it to -0.700, it sounded great. I started doing this with lots of amps, particularly the hi-gain ones! Hmmm, was there a way to do this for every preset? I checked the manual and found the Global 'amp gain' parameter, which I found I like to set to -6.00 db. This then led to me starting doing what you guys do well...dialling in tones! Only on the fly at the moment, but with the setting at -6.00dB, it's so much easier. Some [not all] of the high-gain sounds were too hot and unclear, but now any preset sounds great. I am using an Evo2, not as hot as, say, an X2N, but hotter than a vintage pickup.
I would like to ask, is the 'input trim' on an amp the same as the Global 'amp gain', because their 'units' are different measurements? [One is + or - 1.00, the other is in dB.]
Whatever of the two methods I use, my guitar REALLY likes it.
I am a relatively new user and hopefully this is me starting to get out of the 'playing around with presets' stage and start making my own now.
Someone made a post a long time ago, saying that he considered the input trim VERY important. It jumped into my memory all of a sudden today. Whoever that was, thank you very much.

Good to know.

But question for the OP: what volume were you playing at when you set your input trim? Bedroom level? Stage volume?

Thanks for the reply, Cliff.
In response to chrisallen8888, I am playing through headphones. Unable to play via external means even at a low volume, due to neighbours.
I also found last night, if I backed off the drive by at least 1.00, I got a similar, though not identical result. I think this is because the drive reacts with other components in the amp modelling, but the input trim is just a linear gain stage on its own.
I prefer adjusting the input trim as the vast majority of the basic tones of the Fractal presets are great and that way they're affected less [tonally] than by reducing the drive.
After analysis, my guitar pups are maybe a bit too hot for the inbuilt presets, easily sorted. I never noticed it until I started playing along with backing tracks, I had been just doing mostly scales etc after a layoff from the guitar.
The Axe can be a bit overwhelming for a new user, especially as I've never owned a proper tube amp before! The thing is, when I first got it, I did play about with the amps and effects, but it's so fascinating I found myself spending too much time with it, time I could use practicing. What I intend to do, when I start recording again, is to just use generic 'in the aprox. ball park' tones, then utilise the USB re-amping facility to give the guitars their 'voice', fine-tuned for the type of track.
Like some other new users, I'm now starting to feel comfortable with the Axe now and have now been experimenting with slightly amending an occasional preset, i.e. if it sounds too nasally or brittle/harsh or compressed. I don't have the knowledge of all you advanced users, but I find playing about with eq, cab changes, dynamics control, comb filtering, mic models, I can make changes I'm happy with quite easily and quickly. I never found this to be the case with VSTs.
Definitely the best music-related item I've ever purchased! I remember the happy days when I was younger and on the journey home, we would often try stuff out at the guitar store before catching the train home. It's like having the entire shop, amps/pedals, plus more, built into a box!!

Thanks for the reply, Cliff.
In response to chrisallen8888, I am playing through headphones. Unable to play via external means even at a low volume, due to neighbours.
I also found last night, if I backed off the drive by at least 1.00, I got a similar, though not identical result. I think this is because the drive reacts with other components in the amp modelling, but the input trim is just a linear gain stage on its own.
I prefer adjusting the input trim as the vast majority of the basic tones of the Fractal presets are great and that way they're affected less [tonally] than by reducing the drive.
After analysis, my guitar pups are maybe a bit too hot for the inbuilt presets, easily sorted. I never noticed it until I started playing along with backing tracks, I had been just doing mostly scales etc after a layoff from the guitar.
The Axe can be a bit overwhelming for a new user, especially as I've never owned a proper tube amp before! The thing is, when I first got it, I did play about with the amps and effects, but it's so fascinating I found myself spending too much time with it, time I could use practicing. What I intend to do, when I start recording again, is to just use generic 'in the aprox. ball park' tones, then utilise the USB re-amping facility to give the guitars their 'voice', fine-tuned for the type of track.
Like some other new users, I'm now starting to feel comfortable with the Axe now and have now been experimenting with slightly amending an occasional preset, i.e. if it sounds too nasally or brittle/harsh or compressed. I don't have the knowledge of all you advanced users, but I find playing about with eq, cab changes, dynamics control, comb filtering, mic models, I can make changes I'm happy with quite easily and quickly. I never found this to be the case with VSTs.
Definitely the best music-related item I've ever purchased! I remember the happy days when I was younger and on the journey home, we would often try stuff out at the guitar store before catching the train home. It's like having the entire shop, amps/pedals, plus more, built into a box!!

I think I'm at the same stage as you 1234! I did exactly the same at the weekend (adjusting the input trim) and it's made a huge difference to even my single coil guitars interaction with the various amps (clean and dirty). I always had a problem getting the bassman and twin sounding clean/at the point of breakup. I play pretty hard and I think that this, combined with hot pickups was too much for the input of the Axe. I'm starting to get closer to the sounds I like and even enjoying the sounds of amps I'd usually scroll past. I'm still pretty new to the unit but I feel that importance of this parameter can't be over emphasized enough for newbies like me.

Thank you, damienmcgauley!
Perhaps this should be added to the manual in future??
What I mean is, it would tell you how to connect the Axe up, blah, blah, y'know set your instrument level for the guitar so it just tickles the red occasionally and all that.
Then it could say something like: when using the Fractal presets for the first time [before creating your own], having fun and and a good 'try-out', try putting the Global Amp Gain up or down and seeing what it sounds like and if it improves the sound. If it doesn't, easily sorted, just bring it back to zero dB.
The thing is, when you start creating your own presets, *REMEMBER* you've [possibly] changed the Global Amp Gain, put it back to zero again! The Fractal presets you like and wish to keep, you could set the input trim for them individually. Not an ideal solution, just an idea. But nothing's perfect, maybe it would lead to a load of people forgetting they changed the Global Amp Gain. The only other solution is to change the input trim on an individual basis. I wouldn't have a problem with this, but maybe some would find this inconvenient. Myself, I have what I would call my 'own' Fractal banks. What I mean is I hate panned cabs, I went through all three banks and changed the panning of dual cabs to zero, and saved them.
I totally agree with you: the difference for me with the input trim/Global Amp Gain was immense. For example, I can even hear it on the Shiva Clean preset. It wasn't breaking up or distorting, it just sounded a bit 'hot'. Now it sounds exactly as the manual described it, powerful, simmering cleans! It's just great, some of the amps now sound like smooth aural butter, very nice!

Are "Amp Trim" and "Global Amp Gain" something that's only found in the Axe II? I have the original, and am wondering if there's something I've missed? Is there something analogous to that in the older model?

Are "Amp Trim" and "Global Amp Gain" something that's only found in the Axe II? I have the original, and am wondering if there's something I've missed? Is there something analogous to that in the older model?

Yes axeII only. Filter block set to null in front of amp block (adjust the level parameter for boost or cut) is an equivalent.

I've left the global amp gain stock, but recently have played around with input level and I think was getting similar results - though I'm going to somewhat reverse that. Always looking to make the tone sweeter.

So. They seem to behave a little differently. Or, at least the ranges are different. Ultimately, it's easier getting a nice tone (there seems less treble) using the trim level. .7 works great for my Lace Deathbucker.

Back
Top Bottom