Is a Matrix power amp really that much better?

What frequencies are you talking about specifically for the congested lower mids? Couldn't you just put a notch filter about 400hz or so to deal with that?

What frequencies are you talking about specifically for the congested lower mids? Couldn't you just put a notch filter about 400hz or so to deal with that?

Its difficult to find actually. Its between around 200 and 400 I think. Ive tried notching it, but it seems more like a resonance thing than pure EQ. I can make it un-noticeable until you directly compare it to a real amp. Came to light in an amp meet. We have had lots of great amps - Dr Zs, MJWs, Redplates, hand wired Marshals, two rocks ad the like. They all had this attack, and transparency in the low mids mids. The matrix was either too congested/thick, or when filtered out lost the thump. Its quite a small thing int eh grand scheme of things - but once you hear it .....

I thought initially it was the low extension, as the matrix goes down to 20 hz - and that was making the lows seem more prominent - but a cut just too away the thump. I then started with notch filters. I could make it better but couldnt get it right. The PS just made it work.

The main reason I switched from 2/50/2 to Matrix back when was the weight and size. The PS is pretty compact and I havent actually racked it - it site on top of the rack like an attenuator would on a head. Works well at present.

Back
Top Bottom