Is a Matrix power amp really that much better?

firmani99

Inspired
I run output 1 to a PA or FRFR and sometimes I run output 2 through a Crown power amp and then a mesa cab.

It is a nice powerful Crown amp. Would I really see much improvement in going to a matrix power amp or will the difference be marginal if at all?

i just got the matrix gt1000 fx a week ago and I'm loving it a lot . i haven't tried anything else before so i can't tell if the matrix is the best or not but I'm happy with what i got . just watch videos on youtube or read about it before u get it that might help u to make a decision before buying

Are they perfect? No, just like everything else.

Are they the best fit for you? I don't know, nor does anyone else. Possibly including you :)

Will you know without trying it for yourself? Definitely not.

But, to be remotely helpful: They are very flat and complimentary to digital gear. They're designed with it in mind - I think of them as the FRFR of power amps. Crown and Mesa stuff are great too, but they have their baked-in "flavour", you might say. Matrix has that the least.

If you like the Crown/Mesa/other flavour, you won't get it from the Matrix.

I recently got a GT1000FX and I am liking it a lot.

Honestly, the sound is not THAT much different. It is a flat power amp, and most of the good power amps are. However, the big difference to me is the FEEL. It has a more dynamic feel to it, so the low end seems to pump out of the speaker at you more. It is just more fun to play, and is more like playing an amp. It is not as stiff feeling, and just more bouncy in the feel.

Of course, it is tiny, powerful, and convenient also!

I have the GT800FX going into two16 ohm 112 Egnater cabs and it sounds awesome. I was going to get the Carvin TS100, but then I reconsidered. I figured it would color the sound too much. I'm really happy with the Matrix.

that attraction with Matrix is that it don't weigh much, it's very powerful and it's very transparent with the tone..
in addition to that, the GT1000FX and GT1500FX have been designed to feel like a guitar amp

The FAS products sound great with virtually any clean, flat, amp, IMHO. There is so much tweak-ability. If you feel like your amp delivers what you want in terms of response; your time is probably best spent fine tuning presets with the existing amp and really getting it dialed in to your exact taste, rather than overhauling hardware and resetting. But, I'm lazy.

The Matrix sounds and feels great but the lightweight factor is a huge deal to me. That gives it the edge over some other products in my book.

I run output 1 to a PA or FRFR and sometimes I run output 2 through a Crown power amp and then a mesa cab.

It is a nice powerful Crown amp. Would I really see much improvement in going to a matrix power amp or will the difference be marginal if at all?

IMHO... No. I had a Matrix GT1000. I returned it and bought a Crown XLS2500. Couldn't be happier... much more headroom, sounds much better, works great with both real cabinets and FRFR cabinets. Was even like $100 cheaper (at the time). The only negative for me is it's 2U, but being only 11lb and sounding great, I'm over that.

In fact; I've bought several power amps. There are so many great options out there... I highly recommend you take your time and find whats right for you.

Never AB'ed my Matrix but I got it primarily for the light weight. Sounds awesome, though. Not missing anything.

the Matrix is not supposed to be about better. it is supposed to be about neutrality! FRFR! no added or subtracted tone!

that attraction with Matrix is that it don't weigh much, it's very powerful and it's very transparent with the tone..

I 100% agree with the mentioned above.
There isn’t such a thing as "the best amp ever", it’s a matter of testing, a lot!

I started with a Mesa 2:90 which was a killer, it had a killer sound (although coloring with bass a lot!) and it also killed my back and my pocket (tubes).
Then got (for the frfr test) a little Carvin, DCM200L, VERY light amp (lighter than the Matrix) with only 2x60w and it was very good so I decided to sell the 2:90 and got a Matrix GT1000FX and I'm happy as kid in a candy store.
I run the Matrix with many cabs (depending on the situation), 2x12, 4x12, frfr etc., it runs great with all and the weight….ooo yea! I'm gigging form time to time, just could not do it anymore with the 2:90, I don’t have a rowdy yet (looks like I'll never have one )
BTW, I still have and use the Carvin as well, it's great for home use and little small gigs where you are not racing with your drummer or the other guitar player.

I'd like to A/B a Matrix against my Fryette Power Station.

Done that. I used a Matrix for years, since the original XT800, thought GT800 and GT 1000. I recently got a Power Station,and have just sold the Matrix.

The PS does have a slight coloration perhaps - but not much. It is designed to be neutral - like a HiFi Power amp. The biggest point for me was the low mids. I felt - compared to real amps - the AFX/Matrix Combo got a little congested in that area. This may be due to the extended low freq range of the matrix, or the flat low mids - which on the face of it should be ideal - but it did make it hard to get that attack. The PS did it right with no messing.

The Matrix is louder (or at least louder before the PS starts to compress and saturate) - but the PS is roughly the same volume as my 50W Fender Machete combo so its not quiet. The PS is relatively light for a tube amp at 7kg - not too much more than the Matrix 4kg, though if you want to rack mount the PS you need a kit (more cost) and at LEAST 2U space (Fryette recommend an empty space above the PS for air flow).

Horses for courses, and its maybe my "guitarists need to change" more than not being happy with the Matrix - as I said Ive used them longer than anyone - literally as I was the first user for anything other than the XT800's original purpose as a line array driver. Im happy with the PS - but would have been happy keeping the Matrix as well.

Im my AFX time - I used an Art SLA initially, and there nowhere near the Matrix standard in tonality, dynamics or build. Im sure a quality SS Power amp (haffler or equivalent) would be just as good - but there generally 2-3 times the price, at least 2U and heavier. The Matrix is the best SS product due to those reasons. Ive also used a VHT 2/50/2 - and the PS gets the same punch, but is more neutral (and the 2/50/2 is pretty neutral as it is).

There is a comparison vid somewhere:

*EDIT*

Here - by the way, the thread is in the wrong section ;)

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/matrix-gt1000fx-v-fryette-power-station.111929/

+1 Matrix amps are great, but I recognize the comment abuut the congested mid lows.

Where did you buy the PS, @paulmapp8306 ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom