IR's via my AX8

I'm still a rookie/learning and not a techy for sure so need some help. I play my AX8 thru a Friedman ASC-10 and while mostly practicing at home, we do play out at parties or small clubs about 6 times per year. At all of these gigs, I never go in house, sound guy always mic's my Friedman. To me the sound is ok, but I'm wondering if putting a mic in front of my amp is destroying my sound a bit, especially those presets with IR's. I feel like they've been recorded via a mic and then we stick a microphone in front of the amp. Thoughts on how it will change sound and suggestions for my presets, knowing that my amp will have a microphone at every gig. We'll never go in house. Thoughts appreciated?

Just take the mic cable and plug it into the AX8 for FOH. The sound tech should be much happier with the tone and being able to better control it.

Depending on your output setup (reverse if necessary) - Output 1 to FOH (set volume to FOH preference). Leave the ASC for your stage sound. Output 2 to ASC (set volume to your preference).

By miking the ASC-10, you are going in house; you're using the PA to project your guitar's sound. What you are wondering about is the issue; miking the sound of a miked cabinet. Either use the ASC-10 exclusively for your overall volume or use the above suggestion of using the XLR/mic cable straight to your AX8. Either will give you better tonal results than miking the Friedman.

One last question and sorry if it sounds lame, but I'm a rookie:
Would it be possible to turn off the IR's on my presets or on any new preset I design, I'd pass on the IR's? All of my presets come from Austin Buddy's tone pack and they are awesome. I tweak here and there but all have IR's.
Hope that makes sense and not too crazy of a question. Thanks for your help.

just a note that when you plug the send to house into the AX8 tell the sound guy its line level, not mic level..

and there is no reason to skip IRs.. you will lose a key component of your sound (the cab), but you may wish to reduce air fx like reverb as the space always adds some of its own..there is a global setting for this iirc so you dont need to adjust every preset

just a note that when you plug the send to house into the AX8 tell the sound guy its line level, not mic level..
or set the AX8 OUT 1 Nominal level to -10 dBv. There's no tonal difference between -10 dBv and +4 dBu. I used this setting with the AX8 and still do with the Axe III and FM3, with the OUT 1 set @ 50% and usually don't need to make any adjustment. While setting up, I do let the sound guy know that I have more signal/volume to give him if necessary.

Last question. Alot of smaller clubs or of course outdoor parties don't have monitors. I'll need to hear myself as well. Can I run sound into any amp (SS or tube) or does it have to be an FRFR? Again, just using as a monitor so I can hear myself. thx

If your going to use IRs then FRFR would be preferable. running IRs through a regular amp or cab could color your sound greatly. You could put a fx loop block parallel in the path right before the cab block then you could use output 1 for FOH or FRFR and use output 2 for regular cab or amp.

One last question and sorry if it sounds lame, but I'm a rookie:
Would it be possible to turn off the IR's on my presets or on any new preset I design, I'd pass on the IR's? All of my presets come from Austin Buddy's tone pack and they are awesome. I tweak here and there but all have IR's.
Hope that makes sense and not too crazy of a question. Thanks for your help.

The IRs that @austinbuddy uses, with rare exceptions, are the stock Fractal IRs.

Experience is a key here. If you run your AX8 direct to PA or FRFR, you will hear why IRs are necessary. Unless you like that fizzy, unnatural tone...

Traditional speakers filter that out because they have a very focused frequency range - something IRs provide in an effort to simulate real guitar speakers. And this is also why you probably want to turn of IRs if you're using traditional speakers.

With that, there are no "rules." Start playing around with it and let your ears be the guide.

Back
Top Bottom