IR's of a cab in an iso box?

firmani99

Inspired
I don't know if it is true or not but I think I read that Metallica liked the sound of their cabs mic'ed in an iso box so they created their own ir's of those cabs. Does anyone have ir's shot with an iso box? Just curious what it would sound like.

Metallica's guitar tech made a few posts here, I thought that it was kind of the opposite: the iso boxes muddied up their sound, which was cured by lots of eq. And now, with Axe, they are free to use better IRs.

I could be all wrong though...

I would think so as well but I have no info on the subject.

A cab needs to breathe in a right size room to sound up to it's potential in my experience.

That being said I'd be interested in how an iso box sounds. I assume miking up is not very precise?

In my experience ISO boxes are very well boxy sounding. There is no room for the sound to develop, it slams into the foam in the top of the box almost immediately and deadens overall tone of the guitar. I think you would be able to get away with it on high gain stuff where you want a very compressed tight low end, but even then I have found it to have this very unpleasing low mid hump to the tone that overwhelms everything else.

At first, because ISO cabs had been used, and since front of house was expecting the tone to not radically change (in the middle of a tight production schedule) the sound coming out of the Axe-Fx units had to replicate exactly what had been coming out of the mics.

I have done a LOT of ISO box IRs for musicians over the years. They are often used to beef up stage mics.

Back
Top Bottom