IRs - low and high cut - any tricks?

Wildwind

Experienced
First, really enjoying the new Ownhammer Vintage package, have completely converted over to it. I've had to do some tweaking, but feel a major step has been made toward "real amp" feel and sound.

Second, I'm curious where players are setting the low and high cut. I know guitar cabs don't reproduce much over 5K (correct me if I'm wrong) and that there is little useful under 150 (same comment). I've played with these and do find interesting and useful audible differences on the low cut, not hearing much on the high - could be just not anything to hear?

If there is some wisdom to these settings, I'd love to hear it. Any other settings of interest would also be welcome.

Background - running direct to house all the time, monitoring via Aviom and headphones (using Mackie DLM8 at home to mimic our FOH system). I am running stereo cabs, amps are mainly Fender and Marshall types.

Depending on the cab there may not be a lot to hear until you get down to 4K.

The wisdom is basically use your ear.

Some amps may need it; some not. I one mix it may not be useful to use them; in another it may. It is a useful and quick way to carve out a space in a mix. Of course you can do this post recording as well (provided you don't have heavy nonlinear effects (distortion/compression) post cab.

I go back and forth between two approaches:

1. Low pass everything at 7K.

2. No low pass and only make adjustments as needed during rehearsal or soundcheck. In other words, only if think it's causing an issue.

Neither approach is right or wrong to me.

When I low pass everything, the high hats are more separated in the overall mix.

When I don't the e gtr blends with the hats. This can actually sound pretty cool on some grooves and riffs.

I don't have a favorite really I just change my mind now and then just to geek out to try out stuff.

In my experience the amps that need a low-pass filter the most are the non-master volume type, and mostly when you crank up a good bit of distortion. That's probably because it's the power amp doing most of the distorting and there's nothing to filter out the highs except the transformer. I could be way wrong, but I think most of the higher gain master-volume type amps tend to have a good bit of filtering built into the pre-amp, so you don't need as much post-amp.

I think Sean hit the nail on the head with "use your ear." My thing is to make sure I don't have more presence frequencies than the lead vocalist. It's really annoying - in the church context - to have the ear drawn to the guitars over the vocals. IMHO, YMMV, yada, yada.

I'm using a lot of the Vintage mix's with Fender/Vox type amps and I'm using the hi-cut quite a bit... I just find it's an easy way to tame the hi's that I'm getting... although I enjoy the clarity of these, the hi-cut has just been working for me (also I play a very bright twangy telecaster most of the time). I usually hi cut down to about 4-5k, which just takes the edge off for me.

If i'm using the MIX Ir's, I dont really touch these parameters, It already sounds balanced to me. Sometimes the sound guy cuts the lows to around the 80-90hz If he feels it's necessary.

Using the mix IR's (like Andre does) I don't do any post-EQ anymore. No one from any of the rooms we've done, the festivals we've done or any where else we've played has told me that needed to do anything to my channel at all to make it fit.

To each their own. My starting points for low-cut/high-cut (aka high-pass/low-pass) with Red Wire was always 70Hz and 7kHz. Adjust to taste.

With the newer generation Mix (aka 'mic's and mic-pre's baked in') IR's - I've done no post EQ to my signal chain at all.

First, really enjoying the new Ownhammer Vintage package, have completely converted over to it. I've had to do some tweaking, but feel a major step has been made toward "real amp" feel and sound.

Second, I'm curious where players are setting the low and high cut. I know guitar cabs don't reproduce much over 5K (correct me if I'm wrong) and that there is little useful under 150 (same comment). I've played with these and do find interesting and useful audible differences on the low cut, not hearing much on the high - could be just not anything to hear?

If there is some wisdom to these settings, I'd love to hear it. Any other settings of interest would also be welcome.

Background - running direct to house all the time, monitoring via Aviom and headphones (using Mackie DLM8 at home to mimic our FOH system). I am running stereo cabs, amps are mainly Fender and Marshall types.

I'm still doing the lo-cut and hi-cut thing.
Lo-cut at 120Hz, sometimes 150Hz.
Hi-cut somewhere between 6.5 and 8 kHz.
Works for me (in the mix).

Thanks for the great responses everyone. It sounds like I understood better than I thought. I am grateful that these latter day IRs are making life so much easier for relative newbies like myself.

My goal is to make it more mix ready, but now we got the new bass cut option in amp block so I dont have to use that much lowcut in cabs. You should definitely try that as well to make the low end tight!

Back
Top Bottom