IR's in FW9

StickMan

Experienced
Up till now, there have been a large number of IR's that I really didn't like because they sounded way to nasally, and "not present". They were basically the opposite of "amp in the room", and no matter what I did, I couldn't get them to sound good (to me). By and large, this was most of the cabs labelled "boutique", "euro" or recto. The set of four "basketweave" cabs were borderline, as were the two "Pre-Rola" cabs that were added a few version back. There was something I really liked about the two "Santiago" cabs as far as tone went, but I couldn't get them to work for me.

What I found was that many of those IR's would sound OK at low gain, but then started to approach something like "under a wet blanket" as the distortion was increased.

There were a bunch of cabs that seemed to sound a lot more open to me. I liked most of the 4 or 5 OH cabs that were added a little while back. Number 22 (?), the 2x12 Double M160 always sounded good to me. At one point I went through all of the cabs, and I colour coded the ones that sounded more open, to save time when looking for a cab for a particular patch.

So, today, I was rethinking my Conford preset based on something posted in Yek's Cornford thread the other day. I hadn't really changed anything, but I thought the IR wasn't quite right. Cliff had made a comment this week that the IR's were sounding better, so I ended up pinning the cab selection window and walking through the first 170 or so factory cabs.

Wow! Just wow!

There is something way, way different in this firmware. Virtually all of the cabs are now open enough sounding that I'd consider using them. It's amazing. I didn't mess around with any other settings, and I wasn't very scientific about it. When I finally unpinned the cab listing, I could see that I had a null mic with 0.62 proximity set, moderate high and low cut and no dephase.

The only cab that still felt really "not present" to me was the Santiago Altec. That isn't to say that I liked all of the cabs, just that I wasn't going to rule out a whole bunch because they sounded "wrong"

I also thought that a lot of the cabs sounded more like I'd expect them to. For instance, the 1x6 and 1x8 cabs sound a lot "boxier" now, more like what you'd expect a teeny speaker to sound like. The 10" cabs all seem a little bit punchier now. The 15" cabs picked up something, too. I'd really consider using one of those now.

I'm a little worried that this is some side-effect of some bug. It doesn't seem to match up with anything that you'd expect from what Cliff said about this release. So I hope it stays this way in future releases.

One of the benefits of this FW, to my ears, is the optimized interactions between amp and cab(s) that make it much easier to discern the individual tonalities of the IR s, especially in a fully panned Stereo cab....
You are not alone....

Yeah, I know. From my original post:

Cliff had made a comment this week that the IR's were sounding better, ...

It doesn't mean that it's not a mistake, though. Cliff might "fix" it in a future release. At least we know that Cliff likes the way the IR work in the new firmware.

Still though, this is a dramatic change from previous firmware. IMHO, it completely overshadows all the other speaker compression stuff in this release.

Great news if true. I just got my AX8 a few weeks ago and liked very few of the cab IRs. After reading this, I can’t wait to take a spin through the IRs again (downloaded the AX8 beta firmware last night). Thanks for the heads up.

Last few months Ive been exclusively using a single 3Sigma IR from a 2x12 fat boy. I just found it works without any of the trouble you get from other IRs with the high or low end.
I’ll have to give this firmware a try when I get home.
I hope I hate them all so I don’t end up back in the IR rabbit hole lol

Is this in general or only when using the speaker comp feature?

This was a preset I built a while back. The only thing I did was to cruise through the IR's. So whatever happens when a preset is converted automatically to FW9 is all that happened to it.

BTW, I strongly object to this thread being moved to this section. Firstly, this isn't about USER cabs and IR's. I only use actory cabs.

Secondly, this isn't about the IR's either this is about FW9, and how it interacts with the IR's now.

Last few months Ive been exclusively using a single 3Sigma IR from a 2x12 fat boy.

That's a good one! I often return to that after testing out other IRs. I only like it for high gain stuff, though. The OH Fenders are my preference for cleans.

Man, I wish I liked a higher percentage of the built-in IRs... especially since I have a mkII. I have the exact same feeling OP mentioned generally but this FW did not 'fix' it for me. I guess I will give them another run through with an open mind/ear.

BTW, I strongly object to this thread being moved to this section. Firstly, this isn't about USER cabs and IR's. I only use actory cabs.

Secondly, this isn't about the IR's either this is about FW9, and how it interacts with the IR's now.
I would contend the moderator had your best interest at heart and knowing how the forum flows made the alteration. :)

Then I was right then to infer how COOL the moderator staff is here.:D

I have to say I agree. The forum doesn't send any notification about who moved the thread around, just that it was moved. I would have preferred to have sent a PM requesting it be restored, and then I would have liked to thank whoever put it back.

So, to go along with my public objection, here's my public thank-you. Thank you!

This is an awesome forum, and run really well.

Back
Top Bottom