IRs for vintage Vibrolux Reverb (jensens) or old Ampeg guitar cabs?

LeonC

Inspired
I'm a new FM9 user and I wonder if anyone over here in Axe-Fx III land has done any good IR captures for:

• mid-60s Vibrolux Reverb with Jensen C10 or P10 type speakers?
  • mid-60s Ampeg Reverb Rocket or Gemini 12" cab with CTS alnico speaker?
  • mid-60s Ampeg with Gemini II with a 15" Jensen C15P alnico speaker?
  • early 70s Ampeg VT-40 4x10 Emi or CTS speakers?
  • early 70s Ampeg V4 4x12 cab with Altec speakers?

I know York has a couple vintage Fender cabs/speakers...but not what I'm looking for.

I'm a new FM9 user and I wonder if anyone over here in Axe-Fx III land has done any good IR captures for:

• mid-60s Vibrolux Reverb with Jensen C10 or P10 type speakers?
  • mid-60s Ampeg Reverb Rocket or Gemini 12" cab with CTS alnico speaker?
  • mid-60s Ampeg with Gemini II with a 15" Jensen C15P alnico speaker?
  • early 70s Ampeg VT-40 4x10 Emi or CTS speakers?
  • early 70s Ampeg V4 4x12 cab with Altec speakers?

I know York has a couple vintage Fender cabs/speakers...but not what I'm looking for.
Following. I have a '66 Gemini I in my collection that had its speaker replaced before I got it....

Yeah, many of the old Ampegs had great speakers and cabs, often producing very musical and sometimes, very unique sounds. I wish more people were aware of them and making IRs beyond modern amps/cabs/speakers and only the most well-known vintage amps (i.e. the usual suspects, Fender, Marshall and Vox). I mean, I love the usual suspects...but there are so many cool, unique sounding alternatives.

Ampegs seem like a natural...they were very, very popular in the 60s and 70s, particularly after the Stones started using them.

Yeah, many of the old Ampegs had great speakers and cabs, often producing very musical and sometimes, very unique sounds. I wish more people were aware of them and making IRs beyond modern amps/cabs/speakers and only the most well-known vintage amps (i.e. the usual suspects, Fender, Marshall and Vox). I mean, I love the usual suspects...but there are so many cool, unique sounding alternatives.

Ampegs seem like a natural...they were very, very popular in the 60s and 70s, particularly after the Stones started using them.
First encountered an Ampeg in a music store in Silverton, NJ in the early '80s. Sounded great cranked up. Fantastic bluesy yowl!

Found one in San Diego in 2001, and traded a cherry '66 Bassman head for it. Need to go through it, do the filter caps and the "printed circuit" tone networks, which have gone flaky over time and only connect properly when you press on the front panel in just the right spot. Likely will have to fab something for them, as replacement tone circuit components for those don't seem to be available....

Yeah, my first amp was an Ampeg VT-40, purchased new in 1972 from Gus Zoppi Music on 8 Mile, just N of Detroit. My dad went with me to insure that I didn't get screwed, lol. I went in the store thinking I was gonna get some kind of Fender...a Pro Reverb or something like that. But the VT-40 just sounded way better, was more flexible and seemed like a better value. Fantastic and extremely versatile amp.

Yeah, some Ampegs didn't have the best boards...and I'm certain that back in the mid-60s, no one expected the amps to still be in use 50+ years later, lol. I've had to repair some, typically by adding my own leads to replace some of the traces. Not too awful or too difficult. Good luck.

Yeah, my first amp was an Ampeg VT-40, purchased new in 1972 from Gus Zoppi Music on 8 Mile, just N of Detroit. My dad went with me to insure that I didn't get screwed, lol. I went in the store thinking I was gonna get some kind of Fender...a Pro Reverb or something like that. But the VT-40 just sounded way better, was more flexible and seemed like a better value. Fantastic and extremely versatile amp.

Yeah, some Ampegs didn't have the best boards...and I'm certain that back in the mid-60s, no one expected the amps to still be in use 50+ years later, lol. I've had to repair some, typically by adding my own leads to replace some of the traces. Not too awful or too difficult. Good luck.
The actual circuit card is fine. It's the multi-legged dipped RC tone network that is the issue. Gonna have to figure something out....

Is it one where the whole little network is encased in plastic or something like that? The schematics for most vintage Ampegs are out there...

Is it one where the whole little network is encased in plastic or something like that? The schematics for most vintage Ampegs are out there...
Yeah, it's dipped in the same tan stuff they dip many ceramic caps in.

Schematic isn't the issue near as much as my electronics bench has been packed since 2009, and doesn't have a place to be yet in the 4th new place since then yet.... LOL!

Yeah, it's dipped in the same tan stuff they dip many ceramic caps in.

Schematic isn't the issue near as much as my electronics bench has been packed since 2009, and doesn't have a place to be yet in the 4th new place since then yet.... LOL!
Yikes! Well...good luck with that, lol. At least you've still got plenty 'o great toanz with the FM9 :)

I would love to have the VT-22 or V-4 Ampeg Modeled along w/a 2x12" Altec 417Bs...I owned the V-4 Head w/2 Altec 12" Speakers in a Bassman 2x12 Cab that was stolen from me. I loved that sound!

Last edited:
I would love to have the VT-22 or V-4 Ampeg Modeled along w/a 2x12" Altec 417Bs...I owned the V-4 Head w/2 Altec 12" Speakers in a Bassman 2x12 Cab the was stolen from me. I loved that sound!
And your neighbors half a mile away...maybe not so much, lol.

Seriously great sound...and REALLY FARKIN LOUD!! It would be great to have it modeled indeed.

Yikes! Well...good luck with that, lol. At least you've still got plenty 'o great toanz with the FM9 :)
BTW, I remembered I have a most excellent 2x10 Vibrolux with P10Rs IR pack from York Audio. Just gotta hunt around his site and find it....
:)

Hmm...all I can find on his site is a modern Vibrolux Custom cab with modern P10Rs...maybe good...but not really the same as what I'm lookin for. I may try it though, just on hopes of it capturing the 2x10 thing that I dig.

I still have my 1972 Ampeg VT-22.. that amp was so loud, it felt like it would rip your head off... very HiFi like with lots of tubes.... incredibly clean. This amp would not go into distortion regardless of the volume knob position.

I still have my 1972 Ampeg VT-22.. that amp was so loud, it felt like it would rip your head off... very HiFi like with lots of tubes.... incredibly clean. This amp would not go into distortion regardless of the volume knob position.
mick-jagger-keith-richards-ampeg-vt-22-guitar-amp-sunset-sound-1972-01.jpg

Still, these type of amps are classics, used by the Stones and many others…I really enjoyed the V4 version I owned.

Back
Top Bottom