IRs for neutral non FRFR cabs

Jan Geerts

Experienced
I'm expecting a NL212 next week, and I wonder if there is some light version of an IR possible, that would give extended frequency guitar speakers/cabs the character of the speakers we know and love. Cab light, so to speak.
I love my Zilla cab with Scumbacks, but that scum breaks my back logging it to gigs. FRFR is not my thing, just doesn't sound or feel right to me; live that is, for quiet home jamming, it's perfect.

NL212 speakers aren't FRFR, AFAIK. I doubt IRs will work well with the NL212 (at full volume).

I keep the cab block (IRs) off with my NL212s. I mainly use global EQ to clean up the high end fizz. That’s all I have ever needed.

I think I understand what you’re asking for but not sure if it would help to get it.

I keep the cab block (IRs) off with my NL212s. I mainly use global EQ to clean up the high end fizz. That’s all I have ever needed.

I think I understand what you’re asking for but not sure if it would help to get it.

Which speakers do your NL's have? The one I ordered has Neo Creambacks

I don’t think this is a practical idea. Your NL212 has its own flavor that it will always impart to the sound. It’s like saying, “What can I add to my orange juice to make it taste like coffee?” The answer is “nothing.” You’ll never make it not taste like orange juice.

I don’t think this is a practical idea. Your NL212 has its own flavor that it will always impart to the sound. It’s like saying, “What can I add to my orange juice to make it taste like coffee?” The answer is “nothing.” You’ll never make it not taste like orange juice.
Simple - you just need an inverse tone match of orange juice.

That might be the weirdest thing I've ever typed in 14,650+ messages here :D

I know they aren't, hence my thought about an IR light for that type of speakers.

A IR is the model of a cabs tone and voicing. You don’t model FRFR cabs for the obvious reasons and it makes no sense. Although I’ve yet to hear a FRFR cab that didn’t have some color to the tone.

Last edited:
If you want to, you can spin your own "light " IR by running a Cab block in parallel with a Volume block. Mix wet and dry to taste.

Yep, or a bit easier might be a CAB block with your cab IR(s) of choice mixed to taste with the TOTALLY-FLAT IR.

A IR is the model of a cabs tone and voicing. You don’t model FRFR cabs for the obvious reasons and it makes no sense. Although I’ve yet to hear a FRFR cab that didn’t have some color to the tone.

I don't want to model FRFR cabs. I'm thinking of IRs specially voiced for use with fairly neutral regular cabs with extended frequency range, like the NL212

There's another problem with trying to make an inverse tone match. If you look at the frequency response of a typical IR, you'll see that a lot of frequencies are severely rolled off. Let's say the response is down 50 dB at 8 KHz. The inverse of that would be 50 dB of gain. You really don't want to do that to your signal. It's even worse at frequencies where the response drops down to nothing. The inverse of zero is infinity. :eek:

Last edited:
Because the idea of a flat speaker response is that you (as much as possible) take the speaker out of the equation and it simply becomes a 'make it louder tool'.

If you have to plan for how a speaker responds you introduce endless variables:

1. How worn in the speaker is
2. How is the speaker mounted
3. The room response (i.e. where is the speaker in the room)
4. Humidity
etc.

You end up chasing your tail for a more imperfect solution IMHO

I think what @Jan Geerts wants is something similar to Kemper's Kone Tone Imprints which are supposed to model speakers.
So say you have a FRFR cab or an extended range cab, you could add an IR/Tone Imprint that makes the cab sound like it's loaded with a V30 or G12M.

Am I right?

Back
Top Bottom