IRs, CabLab, and Next Steps Question

rrogers

Inspired
Please bear with me as I am just beginning to appreciate the effect of IRs on a patch.

Until today I have dialed up a single IR for the amp in my patches, set the mic position to "null" in most cases, and played on. After reading a few threads about IRs over the past few weeks, I settled in for a few hours of tweaking today and played around with adding the same IR twice to a patch but with different mic settings on each one. For example, with the 65 Bassman model, I used the stock 4x10 ultrares IR, with a 57 on Cab 1 and a 121 on Cab 2. Doing that had a huge impact on the tone. I added a drive in front, played for a while, and was shocked at how the patch sounded when I would bypass on of the cabs.

The description of CabLab seems to indicate it will let me take the same approach to a higher level by combining and blending multiple cabs/mic combinations and then saving that blend as a single IR. Is that correct? If so, then with CabLab and a few IR packs, i am thinking I would be in a good position to begin experimenting with different blends of IRs.

I may be asking about a process that is fairly obvious, but I have zero experience with IRs other than selecting the stock ones and adjusting the de-phase from time to time. Is my thought process of how CabLab works with IR packs correct?

cab lab is for mixing IR's together. you can adjust several things while at it, but adding mic flavor it will not. if you like a certain IR/mic sound you will have to use an IR that was recorded with that mic.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm in the same position as OP.
I have been trying to find out more about different microphone and their eq, as the different mics seems to add certain eq.

Haven't been able to find any threads on mics and mic position.

Any one?

I do not know the Mic simulation EQ specs, but in the start of most modelers the IR'S were recorded with flat(calibration) mic's in an attempt to get the most accurate simulation possible. Then people wanted the effect that micing a cab gives with different mic's so the added mic simulation. Now the popular rout is to record the Ir's of the cab with real mics used in the industry for guitar cabs in many positions. now you can get the actual sound of the cab with a real mic recording it. this makes adding a mic simulation just a means of tone change, not an accurate thing.

I have been trying to find out more about different microphone and their eq, as the different mics seems to add certain eq.

Any one?
If you look at the mic manufacturers' websites, they give you the average frequency response curves for each mic model. In this way way you can see what natural cuts and boosts there are in the frequency response of the mic itself.

In both of my cab packs for sale on the Fractal site, in each cab pack documentation, I give hyperlinks to the literature for each mic I used so that you can get an idea of each mic's curve.

Regaring mic positioning, here are some great articles IMHO that cover the topic:
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Eliminate_Mic_Placement_Guesswork_with_the_Shavering_Technique
http://www.guitarworld.com/killer-guitar-tracks-mic-placement-and-amps

Any one?
Google, YouTube - there's a whole internet outside of this forum you know ☺Alternatively buy a cab pack, spin through some mics, and let your ears decide.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom