IRs are 90% of the sound

But if you say it, then it must be true. Right?? :)

Dude he was referring to you. Lol.

I guess the pretending that your MG sounds like a Fortin sounds like something you and Mr D would conspicuously share in common so thanks for pointing out the existence of your presence on his board. Thought that was you all along. I'm glad you are back there Mr cookie cutter aka ND. Although still not the sharpest one in the batch there are you. Don't worry maybe one day you will connect the dots on what I responded with. I will just enjoy the tones I've matched. (P.s. there is hundreds in metal). Have fun with the cookie cuttng tone search. 🤡

Last edited:
Dude he was referring to you. Lol.

I guess the pretending that your MG sounds like a Fortin sounds like something you and Mr D would conspicuously share in common so thanks for pointing out the existence of your presence on his board. Thought that was you all along. I'm glad you are back there Mr cookie cutter aka ND. Although still not the sharpest one in the batch there are you. Don't worry maybe one day you will connect the dots on what I responded with. I will just enjoy the tones I've matched. (P.s. there is hundreds in metal). Have fun with the cookie cuttng tone search. 🤡

You have me confused with one of your Internet rivals. I bet it gets hard to keep track of
all of them, doesn't it??

Gotta go and make some cookies now. :)

Didn't follow the thread, but responding to the title...

Duh. The IR is super important.

But also, I run ams/sims/models into my power-amp and cabs and notice a big difference even in similar models.

Brit-brown is way different to Hot-Kitty is different to Plexi is different to AC-30 is different to HBE.

WTF is this?

But also, I run ams/sims/models into my power-amp and cabs and notice a big difference even in similar models.

Brit-brown is way different to Hot-Kitty is different to Plexi is different to AC-30 is different to HBE.

WTF is this?

Hmmmm. Those amps should only sound 10% different from each other. 🤔

You have me confused with one of your Internet rivals. I bet it gets hard to keep track of
all of them, doesn't it??

Gotta go and make some cookies now. :)

Rival? dont worry, i can assure you that you haven't given me any material really to feel that way about you because already doing the work by being your own nemesis.

wow, your mind plays alot of tricks on you but i guess thats what hapens to those who think a Marshall MG to be tweaked to sound like a Fortin. :relaxed:

WTF is this?

Exactly but his la szum character there basically trolled this thread entirely by with a bunch of strawman nonsense to make look like i cannot get good tone period just because in past threads i was trying making the request for Fractal to model Hermansson and Fortin circuits. But it was actually really hilarious to watch him implode on himself with that attempt. I really request that he continues so that i can continue being amused because this is great quality material!

Ya sorry to have to burst your Yamaha bubble. They aren't bad at all but there is easily a new winner in the budget class and still has that expensive hi-fi sound to it.

Ignore all the other monitor brands in the store and pretend they don't even exist. Focal is good too but only their really high end stuff.

When shopping, the Long McQuade salesperson allowed me to AB hear the Adam T5V, T7V, and T8V (while going back to the so called 'industry standard' Yamaha reference hooked up too on the switcher).

I almost grabbed the T5V but went with the T7V. The T8V is a bit looser on the bass but they are all amazing. I may even buy T5V for just recreational music listening in the living room area of the apartment. The stuff is that good.

So because of the comments in this thread I sold my Yamaha HS8s 6 months ago. I decided I was going to buy the Adam T5Vs. I went to Long and McQuade and noticed a shelf full of speakers, asked the sales rep if I could hear them, luckily it wasn't busy and he spent a full hour with me going back and forth between entry level Yamahas, Adams, Focals, KrKs, Yorkvilles. I used Hot For Teacher as a primary reference source, it's busy, and I wanted to hear the guitar and how it was represented amongst the chaos, loaded up the Adam T5Vs, pretty good, way better than the Yamaha HS8s I had, but I wasn't really that blown away, tried some Focals in the same price range, same reaction, pretty good but not blown away, same with Yorkvilles, they were all kind of the same-ish, then just for kicks, because they were $700 a speaker, I asked to hear a pair of Adam A4V's that were sitting there, DAMN! that's what I wanted to hear out of the T5Vs. So much musical information and detail compared to all the others, it wasn't even close. Kind of sucked because I knew I'd be lying to myself with mixes if I bought anything less than the A4Vs, it wasn't even close. So I racked them up on my credit card, ouch, but worth it. I absolutely will need to couple these with a sub, but, don't care, as a guitarist I'm concerned about decent 250 to 8kh representation. I can't imagine how good $4000 monitors sound. Anyhoo, I'm so glad I heard these things. Always always use your ears.

As for the thread title itself, I completely agree, which is why I start my presets off with all the knobs at noon (except Mesas), find the IR that works best in that spot and then fine tune that last 10% with the amp knobs. This has kept me away from hours of tweaking and adding extra EQ’s after the amp block.

This is a similar methodology that I've used for over a decade now with Fractal devices to narrow down an IR. It does indeed save a ton of amp and EQ tweaking for sure.

I do find that since I almost universally always end up slightly lowering the Bass and increasing the Mid and Treble from the 12 o'clock positions I do set those controls there and audition IR's. I usually set the Presence and Depth to around 3 -> 4 as a start. Depends on the amp and it's overall global voicing.

Back
Top Bottom