• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

IRs and Presets: "try before buy" - In App Store

Gl4th

Inspired
There is a feature that TwoNotes offers when you want to buy a new cab.
They have an in App Store where you can actually try the cab, no need to download the file, before you buy.

wos-boutique.jpg

It would be great to have something like that for IRs (at least the ones sold here: https://shop.fractalaudio.com/cab-packs/) and presets so you wouldn't waste money on something that once downloaded you would never use.

Plus, you won't have to buy huge libraries of IRs and Presets, you could just chose the ones you need.
I think TwoNotes approach is very customer oriented and smart.

I know, on the other hand, this may involve a huge development and many commercial agreements.

Anyway, many of us will save a lot of money, and many other will buy new things just trying them in the store.

Last edited:

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
I don’t see how you could have a preset loaded into the unit and play it without having the ability to see the settings and then just copy it.

that is all presets are, someone tweaking the knobs to specific settings that sound subjectively good, so what would make someone pay for the work someone else did when they can see their settings for free ?

Maybe could work with an IR but try before you buy presets seems like it would just turn into a way to share settings, and can’t see many people who make and sell presets wanting to do that....

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
While I appreciate the desired to purchase IRs piecemeal, we bundle so many into packs that cost so little, it really isn't worth the effort at this time. Unprincipled neer-do-wells would re-capture the IRs faster than you can say "Tone Match Block".

Gl4th

Inspired
While I appreciate the desired to purchase IRs piecemeal, we bundle so many into packs that cost so little, it really isn't worth the effort at this time. Unprincipled neer-do-wells would re-capture the IRs faster than you can say "Tone Match Block".
Frustration is when you buy a bundle and you don't like any IR. The first wish is about the "try before you buy".

I can even buy the bundle eventually, but I really like the boutique of the TwoNotes where you try if the cab works for you.

Gl4th

Inspired
I don’t see how you could have a preset loaded into the unit and play it without having the ability to see the settings and then just copy it.

that is all presets are, someone tweaking the knobs to specific settings that sound subjectively good, so what would make someone pay for the work someone else did when they can see their settings for free ?

Maybe could work with an IR but try before you buy presets seems like it would just turn into a way to share settings, and can’t see many people who make and sell presets wanting to do that....
The presets may be loaded without displaying the grid. I think that's the least of the problems.

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
The presets may be loaded without displaying the grid. I think that's the least of the problems.

Okay, let’s say you can load a preset and Axe Edit and the hardware itself displays a special screen that says “demo” or whatever, no ability to edit anything....

how much benefit is that as far as judging a present ? If I can’t go in and adjust the gain, basic tone stack etc, something that might sound really good with minor tweaks is something maybe I’d pass on. Let’s face it, few of any presets sound right for any guitars and all taste without some adjustments.

likewise, this sounds like a lot of work for FAS to implement and to what benefit ? They don’t see presets.

they have to implement something totally new just so 3rd preset sellers have a new way to let people potentially demo things, which may lead to additional sales, assuming they even would take part in a preset demo option in the first place ?

Just seems all and all rather impractical IMO

Gl4th

Inspired
Okay, let’s say you can load a preset and Axe Edit and the hardware itself displays a special screen that says “demo” or whatever, no ability to edit anything....

how much benefit is that as far as judging a present ? If I can’t go in and adjust the gain, basic tone stack etc, something that might sound really good with minor tweaks is something maybe I’d pass on. Let’s face it, few of any presets sound right for any guitars and all taste without some adjustments.

likewise, this sounds like a lot of work for FAS to implement and to what benefit ? They don’t see presets.

they have to implement something totally new just so 3rd preset sellers have a new way to let people potentially demo things, which may lead to additional sales, assuming they even would take part in a preset demo option in the first place ?

Just seems all and all rather impractical IMO
Ok, you don’t like my wish. No problem.

Top Bottom