Iron Maiden Wasted Years Solo

I'm just jealous that I can't play the banjo. Otherwise I'd play a mean highway to hell....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Heres the thing. I appreciate that you can play it with the exact notes, kudos. I think I have close to 200 videos posted, if you can find just one that is right(correctly played)then you would have yourself a bonafide miracle. No worries though, no need to call the Vatican, because it just won't happen. I've never been that guy. Again, good for you for being able to pick out exact notes and phrases. With the amount of loud live playing I've done in my 54 years on this planet it's a wonder I can hear anything at all. All of this is said with a big smile on my face :)

Mark

I think you've got me all wrong, Mark :)

I know what interpretation is and I see nothing wrong about it. Everyone perceives music in a different way and that's the point of being different than other guitarists. Hell, I've watched Adrian playing this solo live so many times and even he plays it on stage differently every time :)

My reply wasn't criticism at all, I'm sure that you've noticed that I said your performance was great :) I meant that you played this solo slightly different from original. 99% of people covering Wasted Years are playing solo the way you did and if that's the way they feel those licks - that's totally OK :)

Maybe I've choosed incorrect words - by "wrong" I've meant "different from the way it's played on original recording", not "bad" or "terrible" :) English is not my native language and even if I try very hard, after 45 years of living in my country I always think in my language in the first place and trying to convert my thoughts to English afterwards. It's obvious that some phrases in one language don't translate to other directly - hence those misunderstandings from time to time, especially with some mental shortcuts.

So there's no point of being offended at all, really. Just keep being cool as you do :)

BTW - if I would intervene in the matter of Maiden stuff, I would dial 666 and call the Beast, not Vatican :lol

Cool vid.. Love the presentation and the formats you've chosen!

Btw, I'm fortunate enough to know Adrian smith and dave Murray personally and I told Dave once that I learned guitar by trying to cop his solos in my youth. He was laughingly thankful and said that maybe I could show him a couple he had forgotten! He also said that he has never played a single solo the exact same way EVER and didn't intend on doing so. Ever. So yea, maybe someone might have some advice on how to more accurately play an album version of a guitar solo, but that's just silly. Capture the spirit of the song, nail the vibrato as best you can, then start filming more vids!

Nice work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I m not even bother to play exact notes...
Mark..just do it your way and give it to us...nice and generous as always...

(..and to Kavoo :what 's the point of your post..#@!#@???)

Heres the thing. I appreciate that you can play it with the exact notes, kudos. I think I have close to 200 videos posted, if you can find just one that is right(correctly played)then you would have yourself a bonafide miracle. No worries though, no need to call the Vatican, because it just won't happen. I've never been that guy. Again, good for you for being able to pick out exact notes and phrases. With the amount of loud live playing I've done in my 54 years on this planet it's a wonder I can hear anything at all. All of this is said with a big smile on my face :)

Mark

Last edited:
First off, let me say, "great job as usual Mark". :encouragement: I always enjoy your vids. Probably the main influence as to why I bought my Ultra way back in the beginning.

I've posted half dozen or so soundcloud clips myself. All to cover tunes/backing tracks, (with the exception of one). I personally myself don't care if the tone or playing sounds exact. In fact I kind of despise it but not in a negative/derogatory way. Why?... I want to play like me. Simple. While I DO recognize to cop someone else's tone and notes, style, etc. is actually more trickier than you'd think, (due to all the variables involved) I just love to me able to put my own little spin on things without any disrespect to the original or without beating my chest saying, "look at me !".
Plain and simple enjoyment of my own takes on things. Some people may like it or not. Don't matter to me because it's either for beta work or my own pleasure. :D Besides... I'm the crappiest cover guitar player on earth. I couldn't learn or play a song note for note if my life depended on it. :lol

As well for the guys here who can do it well... I applaud you and appreciate the ability to do the job well. Some guys are simply so good to where you can barely notice the difference from the original. Either way... it's all talent. :)

*Knuckles*... I appreciate your humor! You crack me up, man! :)

Last edited:
I've always loved Mark's covers and I'm glad he doesn't worry about getting things precisely note for note. Here's a newsflash - I've seen Maiden multiple times and hundreds of other bands over the years and essentially no one gets it note for note, especially the original artists. That's part of the fun...

Back
Top Bottom