Iron Maiden Tone

I would also like to know this - specifically Adrian's somewhere in time era tone. I've had decent results using the brit pre so far

more info i gleaned off the interwebs - Dave uses a Fender Strat American with a Floyd Rose and Seymour Duncan Hot Rails through a Shure Wireless into a Pete Cornish switching system. He goes into a Marshall JMP-1 Midi and a Marshall JFX-1 Effects unit, both powered by a Marshall 9200 Power Amp. His pedal board is a Rocktron Midimate Predal. All of this goes into 2 1960B 4x12 cabinets with stock Celestion 75s. He also uses a TC G Force.

as for fx...i would say delay and reverb...chorus on the clean tones and maybe even a bit on the leads

just had a very quick knock using Powerslave as a reference - i put input drive on 7, bass, mid and treb all on 10, master on 4 and pres on 6, depth on 3

cab - 1960b t75 with SM57 mic. proximity lowered to 2.7

i think you'll find it'll be a good starting point for a rhythm tone. if you need more thump, turn up the depth a bit

for lead, i tried a ts808 mod with drive at zero and level at 8 with the tone rolled back a bit. when you engage this with your footcontroller, also engage a null filter after the cab with about 3.5db of boost to raise the level

chuck a phaser in front of everything set to block 90 for a nice addition to leads

Hello:

I am also very interested in this thread; I am very much a newbie regarding this stuff. I offer the following URLs and settings translations to you; my frustration lies in me not knowing what I am doing and my results of trying to set the settings using the Axe-FX editing software sounding like garbage.

I will bet there is someome on this site that will be able to take my text translated settings and produce files for the different tones that they could share with everyone else (Please!). This whole process has been very frustrating to me; however, I think that someone who knows what all of these settings mean would be able to knock this off in short order. I just do not have the knowledge to know what a lot of these settings are referring to.

If you are able to make progress with these settings, please come back and share your file.

Here is what I have been able to gather up.......

Iron Maiden Dave Murray Tone Tutorial (Part One) - Iron Maiden Dave Murray Tone Tutorial (Part One) - YouTube

My Dave Murray tone tutorial - My Dave Murray tone tutorial - YouTube

Dave Murray Tone Tutorial - Dave Murray Tone Tutorial - YouTube

Vintage Sound

Amp = Marshall JCM 900 (Triple Super Lead??????)

Pre-Amp Marshall JM P-1

Modern Sound

Amp = Marshall DSL 100 Head

Pre-Amp Marshall JM P-1

Chorus

Delay

Reverb

Settings (4 Channels DM Uses 6)

Clean Channel

Volume = 20

Gain = 12

Bass = 2

Treble = 6

Middle = 1

Phase Shift = On

______
Chorus Settings Clean Channel

Speed = .188

Depth = 45 %

Tempo = Ignored

Mix Level = 24%

______
Vintage Rytehm Channel

Volume = 18

Gain = 20

Bass = 4

Treble = 4

Middle = 5

Phase Shift = On

Over Drive 1 Channel On The JM P-1

Chorus Settings Vintage Rythem Channel

Speed = .134

Depth = 35%

Tempo = Ignored

Mix Level = 30%

______

Modern Rythem Channel @ 4:15 of Video

Volume = 18

Gain = 15

Bass = 4

Treble = 4

Middle = 5

Phase Shift = On

Over Drive 2 Channel On The JM P-1

Chorus Settings Modern Rythem Channel

Speed = .178

Depth = 45%

Tempo = Ignored

Mix Level = 27%

Lead Channel @ 4:41 of Video (All lead channel settings as per DM Guitar Tech)

Volume = 18

Gain = 20

Bass = 6

Treble = 6

Middle = 6

Phase Shift = On

Over Drive 2 Channel On The JM P-1

Chorus Settings Lead Channel

Speed = .188

Depth = 30%

Tempo = Ignored

Mix Level = 13%

Delay = 480 ms

Feedback (Delay???) = 25%

Mix Level (Delay???) = 40%

Regards,

Chizzy

I've gotten fairly close using the JMP-1, into stock cab #39. Keep the gain fairly high and not a much mids as you'd normally use in a Marshall.

I've had to add in a Multi-band compressor to get rid of the boomy low end all stock cabs seems to have, squashing from 130 to 250Hz mostly. A touch of reverb will get you right there. This is for Dave Murray's rhythm tone in Fear of the Dark or later bear in mind. I've watched this most excellent interview with his guitar tech before putting my patch together: Iron Maiden, interview with Dave Murray's guitar tech - YouTube

Adrian's tone is more of a raw old marshall kind of thing, I'd think the 800 mod should get you right there in the ballpark.

I'll update the patch for firmware 11 and post it up if you want.

Cheers,

Alex

My favorite Maiden tones are from the Powerslave/Live after Death era. I know on the World Slavery tour the tone was Guitar-> MXR OD+ -> JCM800 into Marshall 4x12 but not sure of the speakers.

I tried this method back in the FW 5 days and got close but "something" was missing... a little top end bite but not fizz. When I get moved and have time to fiddle I may try again.

The Somewhere and 7th Son tones were always to processed sounding for my taste.

My favorite Maiden tones are from the Powerslave/Live after Death era. I know on the World Slavery tour the tone was Guitar-> MXR OD+ -> JCM800 into Marshall 4x12 but not sure of the speakers.

I tried this method back in the FW 5 days and got close but "something" was missing... a little top end bite but not fizz. When I get moved and have time to fiddle I may try again.

The Somewhere and 7th Son tones were always to processed sounding for my taste.
I just changed mine from the OD1 over to JCM800 and holy crap... it's what was missing.

Back
Top Bottom